Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Donnie View Post
    How Matt Barkley has tumbled. Was being touted as a stud before the season.
    meh, its the USC QB phenomenon...as long as your the elder qb at USC you are the next best thing until you play your final season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IBleedRed(duh) View Post
    Not to mention neither is outstanding. Both will go in the first round bc the draft is weak. But both are not great QB's. Think Jimmy Clausen when looking at Barkley.
    No. Barkley is nothing like clausen. I watched every game of barkleys USC career and at least 5 games of his mater dei career.

I watch clausen in person at oaks Christian, know people who went to middle school with him as well as high school with him, watched most of his notes dame career

And despite having the same QB coach in Steve clarkson they are nothing alike. Barkley is big time in the intangible department. He's a leader, he's resilient, he's tough, he's smart, he's persistent, he achieves his goals in life that are under his control, he understands the game, makes his own audibles, and is just in general a nice guy with a strong head on his shoulders. Hea accurate, with great pocket presence but does misread some plays and throw picks under pressure which he has to work on

Clausen is a grade A, A-hole who was an egomaniac. Had most of his high school teammates wanting to punch him in the face, wasn't very popular in the notes dame lockerroom. He has tools but mentally hes only bested by Ryan leaf.

The comparison isn't even close. Barkley is still a blue chip prospect but he's not a qb who can be successful without strong talent around him. He's more joe flacco, Alex smith, Matt Ryan as a guy who needs a strong supporting cast as opposed to a cam newton, big Ben, Aaron rodgers who succeed regardless.

Barkleys success will depend on the team around him and the offense he's in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    No. Barkley is nothing like clausen. I watched every game of barkleys USC career and at least 5 games of his mater dei career.

I watch clausen in person at oaks Christian, know people who went to middle school with him as well as high school with him, watched most of his notes dame career

And despite having the same QB coach in Steve clarkson they are nothing alike. Barkley is big time in the intangible department. He's a leader, he's resilient, he's tough, he's smart, he's persistent, he achieves his goals in life that are under his control, he understands the game, makes his own audibles, and is just in general a nice guy with a strong head on his shoulders. Hea accurate, with great pocket presence but does misread some plays and throw picks under pressure which he has to work on

Clausen is a grade A, A-hole who was an egomaniac. Had most of his high school teammates wanting to punch him in the face, wasn't very popular in the notes dame lockerroom. He has tools but mentally hes only bested by Ryan leaf.

The comparison isn't even close. Barkley is still a blue chip prospect but he's not a qb who can be successful without strong talent around him. He's more joe flacco, Alex smith, Matt Ryan as a guy who needs a strong supporting cast as opposed to a cam newton, big Ben, Aaron rodgers who succeed regardless.

With all due respect, what QBs have you "hit" on?

Kolb-no
    Dalton-no
    Foles-too early
    Barkley-not sold

I tend to look for you on college QB scouting, give me something.
    All I do is hit. I even hit your mother once. Yep, hit it good.

vCash

First, I'm not even going to get into the emotions of the men. While I appreciate you sharing, it's a point no one can dispute with you. It's your opinion. Lets get to the X's and O's.

I think your wrong to putt Matt Ryan in the same conversation as Alex Smith. Matt Ryan has a big arm and is accurate. Still young and developing. He's done well when he only had Rodie White. Not worth arguing though as its off topic.

Matt Barkley will struggle with arm strength and ball velocity at the next level (the biggest factor in the 15 interceptions he has) . He may hold down a starting job but won't be a franchise quarterback and game changer. I think his ceiling is Jeff Garcia and his expected pace is Chad Pennington. His draft stock has dropped since last year. He'll be a first rounder bc someone will over reach for a QB. However, he should be a second round pick.

vCash

First, I'm not even going to get into the emotions of the men. While I appreciate you sharing, it's a point no one can dispute with you. It's your opinion. Lets get to the X's and O's.

I think your wrong to putt Matt Ryan in the same conversation as Alex Smith. Matt Ryan has a big arm and is accurate. Still young and developing. He's done well when he only had Rodie White. Not worth arguing though as its off topic.

Matt Barkley will struggle with arm strength and ball velocity at the next level (the biggest factor in the 15 interceptions he has) . He may hold down a starting job but won't be a franchise quarterback and game changer. I think his ceiling is Jeff Garcia and his expected pace is Chad Pennington. His draft stock has dropped since last year. He'll be a first rounder bc someone will over reach for a QB. However, he should be a second round pick.
    Lol Garcia and Pennington might be a little harsh. Maybe more like Hasselbeck?
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    Btw, your only real reason that Clausen and Barkley aren't close is their attitudes. That's not enough. You got more to bring distinction, yes?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by c_reinert View Post
    Lol Garcia and Pennington might be a little harsh. Maybe more like Hasselbeck?
    Garcia was a pro bowler and had a good stretch with the niners. He was actually a good QB for a number of years. Pennington was serviceable, more like a game manager. Neither had great arms.

Which Hasselbeck? Tim???

Matt Hasselbeck could be his ceiling, yes.

vCash
    I can't believe that the people wanting Chip Kelly haven't brought up Colin Kaepernick's name yet. Anybody watch MNF? He steamrolled the Bears. He's a young, athletic QB who has been in the league a few years and has a pretty big arm.

Oh, what I'd give to trade franchises with the 49ers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandrew View Post
    I can't believe that the people wanting Chip Kelly haven't brought up Colin Kaepernick's name yet. Anybody watch MNF? He steamrolled the Bears. He's a young, athletic QB who has been in the league a few years and has a pretty big arm.

Oh, what I'd give to trade franchises with the 49ers.
    No chance they trade him.

Wish the Eagles drafted him like I wanted them to

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    With all due respect, what QBs have you "hit" on?

Kolb-no
    Dalton-no
    Foles-too early
    Barkley-not sold

I tend to look for you on college QB scouting, give me something.
    Did I give an opinion on dalton? I couldn't honestly see a reason for me doing so. Kolb I never said anything but he's accurate and we should all give him a chance. Never watched him much if at all in college so I'd have no base to give a scouting report.

Foles, I said he has all of the tools which he does. Doesn't mean hell be successful. Tons of people have the tools. He can be a successful nfl qb. Will he? He's not off to a great start

Barkley has to hit the right situation to let the intangibles speak.

vCash
    Btw, your only real reason that Clausen and Barkley aren't close is their attitudes. That's not enough. You got more to bring distinction, yes?
    Really? Attitude can be everything. Attitude was a major difference between leaf and manning, Vick and brees

Attitude is vital. Most qbs, a high percentage have multiple set of abilities that make them nfl caliber. Where does the separation come from? Attitude, work ethic, drive

If attitude was such a small factor jamarcus Russell would have made it

vCash

Most of his interceptions are not arm strength related. Having seen every game I can honestly say that most are from bad decisions under pressure, the 2nd biggest int cause was miscommunication, just not being on the same page, 3r and last was him trying to fit balls in.

Arm strength played a role in the last issue but minor because I doubt anyone would be capable of fitting the balls in to where he tried

His arm isn't where you put it, I've never seen him throw a deep ball and say he just can't make the throw. Never seen him throw a 10 yard out and say he just can't get it there

Is he rolling out there with a Vick arm? No. But chad Pennington struggled to hit 50 yards. Jeff Garcia as well. Matt has a good enough arm. Its average to slightly above average. He doesn't have a noodle arm, he's not Matt leinart. His arm is more than capable. In his 4 years ive never seen him unable to make throws.

This was his worst looking season as a Trojan, for whatever reason not statistically but decision making wise. Hes not the first qb to go back to school and have a bad season

vCash
    Most of his interceptions are not arm strength related. Having seen every game I can honestly say that most are from bad decisions under pressure, the 2nd biggest int cause was miscommunication, just not being on the same page, 3r and last was him trying to fit balls in.

Arm strength played a role in the last issue but minor because I doubt anyone would be capable of fitting the balls in to where he tried

His arm isn't where you put it, I've never seen him throw a deep ball and say he just can't make the throw. Never seen him throw a 10 yard out and say he just can't get it there

Is he rolling out there with a Vick arm? No. But chad Pennington struggled to hit 50 yards. Jeff Garcia as well. Matt has a good enough arm. Its average to slightly above average. He doesn't have a noodle arm, he's not Matt leinart. His arm is more than capable. In his 4 years ive never seen him unable to make throws.

This was his worst looking season as a Trojan, for whatever reason not statistically but decision making wise. Hes not the first qb to go back to school and have a bad season
    I'll go with the scouting reports over what you've seen. Most say Barkely has trouble putting velocity on the ball and getting it to the hashes. Has trouble pushing it down the field. He's not inept. Just not strong in that category. Not strong enough to be a star in this league. I will give you his struggles with reading defenses which lead to his bad decisions.

Again, your QB comparison is just off. And I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Looks like it needs an edit bc of some incompete thoughts. He has an average arm.

We're getting off topic. The point is that the Eagles should not reach for an QB in this draft thinking they are the answer. Build around Foles because its your best option until the draft or free agency look better

vCash
    Really? Attitude can be everything. Attitude was a major difference between leaf and manning, Vick and brees

Attitude is vital. Most qbs, a high percentage have multiple set of abilities that make them nfl caliber. Where does the separation come from? Attitude, work ethic, drive

If attitude was such a small factor jamarcus Russell would have made it
    Vick and Brees aren't the same. Manning and Leaf had more factors than attitude. The fact you break down ones failure to ones success based on such a black and white, simplistic answer of good attitude vs poor attitude is laughable. Yes, it's not unimportant. But it's small in comparison.

Btw, to say Vick doesn't have drive, work ethic, and a good attitude would make you disconnected from what's going on. Vick isn't struggling bc he doesn't work hard. He's struggling because he can't read a defense.

There's just more to your examples than "attitude"

vCash
    Personally I'd rather have David Shaw from Stanford, but I wouldn't mind trying out Chip. Much rather have him than that fraud Gruden.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast