Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    vCash
    browns keep on winning shurms aint goin anywhere

vCash
    Spermur is gone. Today proves he sucks and can't handle it.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash

Complete trash...

Shurmur is by far the worst coach in the league. This game should be the nail in the coffin. He does NOTHING well. Watching this game it was obvious why RG3 is such a success. They have a competent and creative play caller. No QB would thrive under Shurmur and his 80's West Coast offense. 15 rush attempts to 35 pass attempts? Thankfully, this game he didn't fudge up the timeouts and clock management.

Looking back off the top of my head, here are examples of how his decisions solely contributed to Browns losses.

---Closing out games by passing to stop the clock for opponents when Weeden can't hit a broad side of a barn

---Keeping Richardson on the sidelines at the goal line. Playing Chris Ogbonnaya on passing downs leaving no doubt to opponents that you will not run the ball

---Calling time out in hopes the referees change their mind

---Hiking the ball on first down with seconds to spare before the 2 minute warning saving the opponent a time out

---Running the ball or taking a knee before the end of a half with less than a minute to play being satisfied with a meager lead

---Punting the ball 4th and short in opponent territory with chance to win

---Going for 4th and 6 late in the game at your own 26

--- Blowing timeouts because of indecision on play calls

I know there a many more, I'm sure people can chime in. A team takes on their coaches personality. And Shurmur screams mediocrity, "battling", "progress", and excuses.

I don't want to see a huge turn over on personnel, because the foundation for greatness is here - FINALLY! I can see the Browns being the next 49ers with a coach like Harbaugh to replace the inept Singletary. I trust Haslem will bring in the best for the Browns. JUST CAN SHURMUR PLEASE!!!

vCash
    100% agree with you, brother.

Keep Heckert, can Shurmur. Defensively, all the Redskins were doing was putting 8 in the box with man coverage or sometimes zone.

It took the last drive of the first half for Shurmur to figure out that a few first/second down play actions is a great way at fooling defenses that put 8 men in the box. And then guess what? Early in the 3rd quarter he completely abandon the run when they're only down by 10 points! 24-14 and you give up on the running game? What kind of sense does that make?

How can the defense not figure out how to stop the bootleg all game?

The Redskins had the most simple game plan ever and should have gotten smoked without RG3. The announcers were raving about Kirk Cousins but I didn't see anything special about him, it was the Browns sucky playcalling.

It's sad when fans hope their team loses, but that's how I feel. I hope they lose out and get a decent draft pick, fire Shurmur, and get a coach that knows how to call plays, isn't bland but instead is creative, doesn't bungle timeouts/possessions, has fire/balls and doesn't play conservative, completely trash that stupid West Coast offense, and can motivate his team to close out games.

With a good head coach instead of Shurmur I honestly think we'd make the playoffs this year. Joe Haden gets suspended and instead of searching the world for a decent CB you let your secondary get torched 4 games early in the season?

Even though Shurmur doesn't get the final say on personnel decisions he should've been pushing for a cornerback. Here's to hoping that they draft a CB with their 1st round pick.

BELIEVELAND 2014 WE PUSHIN

"George Hill is a better pg/player than Kyrie Irving"

-Spursfan1/WadeKobe/Jamiebcaller

vCash
    I cannot wait until Haslam calls a presser to say Spermur is gone after the crapspuke game.

vCash
    There are plenty of opinions on here as to who the Browns should go with as a new head coach and I enjoy reading everybody's ideas. I do like the idea of the Browns making a splash with Jon Gruden. Also, the slip-up with him calling New England the Cleveland Patriots might just mean that he has a case of Browns on the brain.

However, I'm not sure if he is the answer. In all his years in Tampa Bay he never really had much of an offense. He didn't exactly have a lot of talent at the QB or WR positions but he might be pumped about the fact he could have a bell cow RB like Richardson and some talent at WR with Gordon and Little. But does he not favor the same "boring West Coast Offense" that Shurmur is operating right now? Hopefully Haslem and Banner make the right decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonevision View Post
    There are plenty of opinions on here as to who the Browns should go with as a new head coach and I enjoy reading everybody's ideas. I do like the idea of the Browns making a splash with Jon Gruden. Also, the slip-up with him calling New England the Cleveland Patriots might just mean that he has a case of Browns on the brain.

However, I'm not sure if he is the answer. In all his years in Tampa Bay he never really had much of an offense. He didn't exactly have a lot of talent at the QB or WR positions but he might be pumped about the fact he could have a bell cow RB like Richardson and some talent at WR with Gordon and Little. But does he not favor the same "boring West Coast Offense" that Shurmur is operating right now? Hopefully Haslem and Banner make the right decision.
    Sh$t I'm ready to give Josh McDaniels an f'ing chance if it means Shurmur is gone. I am just done trying to watch his inept offense compared to everyone elses. Also tired of his inability to make in game adjustments. That was the biggest disperancey from yesterday. They need to find a HC. Not an OC trying to be HC. If they hire someone like McDaniels or McCoy next year I hope Haslam and Banner tell them that their job is to be the HC and not the OC. If they want the job they will need to hire an OC that makes the playcalls so they can focus on the overall game. That is why I would wish for David Shaw as he seems like an overall HC and not a guy who will just focus on one part of the game. Also watching Stanford, all I ever see from that team is in game adjustments.

Three things I am looking for if I am Haslam/Banner this offseason:

1) A HC that will focus on the overall game and not one area.

2) A man with fire and passion. A guy that a team will get behind. A guy that if you lose one game that will not lead to a 3-4 game losing slide as he will make sure his team is ready to play the following week.

3) A guy that is great at making in game adjustments wether it be on the offensive side or defensive side of the ball.

Holy sh$t I just described Jim Harbaugh. WHERE THE F WERE YOU IN 2011 ON THAT ONE HOLMGREN? Oh wait you had you're nephew.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    So since I am on break from College and since how angry I am with Shurmur I decided to go and look into most of the possible head coaching candidates (coaches that would more than likely keep the 4-3 and for the most part are young).

College Coaches

Chip Kelly (Oregon HC) Age: 49
    David Shaw (Stanford HC) Age: 40
    Bill O’Brien (Penn State HC) Age: 43
    Doug Marone (Syracuse HC) Age: 48
    Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern HC) Age: 38

NFL Coordinators and Assistants

Mike McCoy (Denver Bronco OC) Age: 40
    Jay Gruden (Cincinnati Bengals OC) Age: 45
    Brad Childress (Cleveland Browns OC) Age: 56
    Josh McDaniels (New England Patriots OC) Age: 36
    Rick Dennison (Houston Texans OC) Age: 54
    Pete Carmichael (New Orleans OC) Age:41
    Kyle Shannahan (Washington Redskins OC) Age: 33
    Greg Roman (San Francisco 49’ers OC) Age: 40
    Tom Clements (Green Pay Packers OC) Age: 59
    Scott Linehan (Detroit Lions OC) Age: 49
    Todd Haley (Pittsburg Steelers OC) Age: 45
    Brian Schottenheimer (St, Louis Rams OC) Age: 39
    Dirk Koetter (Atlanta Falcons OC) Age: 53
    Rob Chudzinski (Carolina Panthers OC) Age: 44
    Perry Fewell (New York Giants DC) Age: 50
    Dick Jauron (Cleveland Browns DC) Age: 62
    Mike Zimmer (Cincinnati Bengals DC) Age: 56
    Mike Nolan (Atlanta Falcons DC) Age: 53
    Casey Bradley (Seattle Seahawks DC) Age: 46
    Jack Del Rio (Denver Broncos DC) Age: 49
    Kevin Coyle (Miami Dolphin DC) Age: 56
    Alan Williams (Minnesota Vikings DC) Age: 43
    Brad Seely (San Francisco 49’ers ST) Age: 56
    Hue Jackson (Cincinnati Bengals DB Coach) Age: 47

Former Coaches

Jon Gruden Age: 49
    Eric Mangini Age: 41
    Brian Billick Age: 58
    Bill Cowher Age: 55

Out of all these names these are my favorite in order; David Shaw, Mike McCoy, Chip Kelly, Rick Dennison, Brian Schottenheimer, Rob Chudzinski, Pat Fitzgerald, Alan Williams, Eric Mangini

vCash
    I think we should also look for someone that is going to run a similar offense to our WCO...not necessarily the WCO, but something that doesn't require a complete change from what we have. We don't have the quarterback for Chip Kelly's offense, don't have the receivers for Josh McDaniels' offense, don't have the intellect at QB for Mike McCoy's offense...but there are some good names on your list.

I have been intrigued by Rick Dennison with the Texans...their offense has been good for several years and they have been able to do it without a bunch of high draft picks (excluding Andre Johnson of course).

Seeing what Greg Roman has been able to do with the 49ers has also been intriguing...however you have to wonder how much of that is him and how much of that is Jim Harbaugh.

David Shaw is also intriguing...he has been able to take smart guys and win football games, but we would need more smart guys (not sure Weeden is very smart).

There are names on the list that I don't like...Childress, Shannahan, Carmichael, Haley, Chudzinski, Jauron (not as HC), Linehan, Coyle, Del Rio...all have either had chances and failed, have not been great in their coordinator positions, or are the product of the talent around them (which we don't have).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    I think we should also look for someone that is going to run a similar offense to our WCO...not necessarily the WCO, but something that doesn't require a complete change from what we have. We don't have the quarterback for Chip Kelly's offense, don't have the receivers for Josh McDaniels' offense, don't have the intellect at QB for Mike McCoy's offense...but there are some good names on your list.

I have been intrigued by Rick Dennison with the Texans...their offense has been good for several years and they have been able to do it without a bunch of high draft picks (excluding Andre Johnson of course).

Seeing what Greg Roman has been able to do with the 49ers has also been intriguing...however you have to wonder how much of that is him and how much of that is Jim Harbaugh.

David Shaw is also intriguing...he has been able to take smart guys and win football games, but we would need more smart guys (not sure Weeden is very smart).

There are names on the list that I don't like...Childress, Shannahan, Carmichael, Haley, Chudzinski, Jauron (not as HC), Linehan, Coyle, Del Rio...all have either had chances and failed, have not been great in their coordinator positions, or are the product of the talent around them (which we don't have).
    If you want that then Jon/Jay Gruden might be the best to look at as their base is the WCO but they also add a lot of vertical aspects to the system in order to take advantage of his best overall players such as Green and Gresham in Jay's case now. Neither ever stuck to the base WCO but used to terminalogy of the system to enhance the strenghts of the best weapons on the offense wether that being a great tight end, wr or running back.

I have started reading up and trying to watch Niners games too lately because I have been seeing Greg Roman's name brought up a lot. I really like the different packages he utlizes with the Niners but it does seem a lot of times too that it is a lackluster offense that can boggle down at times.

And finally I recently heard that the Browns might be the only team this year that might go the route of hiring a HC first and then bring in a GM to work with that HC and Banner. Heard this on a podcast of PFT, where they said the logic was that the HC and GM were going to work on personel decision because people think Haslam wants to get a well known coach here and will give him more power than just HC'ing. I guess it just depends on the person they have in mind but I am starting to think that Chip Kelly will be this teams HC next year. I can see Andy Reid going to San Diego with Mike McCoy going to Carolina and then Jon Gruden coming back and going to Philadelphia. Have no clue what KC would do but I have heard that a team has already been in contact some with Chip Kelly and have showed mutual interest in each other. I think this might be the Browns just because Kelly would have to have a lot of say in the personel decision to get the right type of players for his team.
    Last edited by ottograham14; 12-18-2012 at 09:16 AM.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    The lowdown: These are the latest rumblings I’ve heard from NFL – and college – sources concerning the inevitable shake-up in Browns football operations being considered by CEO Joe Banner.

For the record, owner Jimmy Haslam and Banner recently have declined all meaningful interviews regarding the future configuration of their organization. They have pledged to not make any decisions until after the season.

But it is commonly believed that GM Tom Heckert and coach Pat Shurmur will not be back. Heckert, my sources say, knew it the day Banner reported to work in October as Haslam’s CEO. Shurmur surely knows it now, after that coaching debacle against Washington on Sunday.

The Lombardi Factor: Banner has diagramed an organization chart that calls for football operations to report to him. That means Heckert’s position will be replaced by a glorified player personnel director who will work closely with Banner. He may win some battles but ultimately he will have no real authority to establish a vision, pick players or make trades. Banner will set the agenda.

So who would accept these restrictions? Someone who has been out of the league for five years – Mike Lombardi.

The smooth-talking NFL Network analyst has fostered a relationship with Banner since working for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1997-98. Lombardi, who was Bill Belichick’s first lieutenant in Cleveland after GM Ernie Accorsi left in 1992, was not invited by Art Modell to join the Ravens organization in Baltimore.

Former Eagles coach Ray Rhodes rescued Lombardi with a job in 1997. This was a dream opportunity for Lombardi, who was from the Philadelphia area, but it was lost when the Eagles named Tom Modrak director of football operations. There is a story that on Modrak’s first day on the job, he marched into Lombardi’s office still wearing his overcoat and told Lombardi to pack his belongings. That was the third of Lombardi’s four firings from NFL clubs.

Nevertheless, Lombardi maintained a relationship with Banner, who has risen to positions of enormous power with the Eagles and now the Browns.

According to one source in the loop, the only other name associated in NFL circles with the soon-to-be-vacant position with the Browns is Tom Gamble. Gamble is director of player personnel with the San Francisco 49ers and is considered a viable candidate for several general manager positions expected to open in the NFL.

But because the position Banner has created is on a same plane with the job Gamble currently holds in San Francisco, Gamble would not give the Browns’ job a second thought.

Banner effectively has created a position that only Lombardi would accept.

The coaching candidates: Over the years, Lombardi has forged relationships in the agent business. One that Lombardi has maintained is with Jimmy Sexton. Sexton happens to be Alabama coach Nick Saban’s agent. This relationship partially explains the Saban-to-Cleveland rumors.

Independently, Saban, who has built a national powerhouse at Alabama, is believed to be Haslam’s first choice to coach the Browns. Lombardi is well aware of that, of course. According to a source, Lombardi has gained traction with Haslam by attaching himself to Saban’s coattails.

I have now have had three credible sources – two in the NFL and one in the college ranks – swear to me that Saban has no attraction whatsoever to Lombardi. One insisted Saban wouldn’t work with Lombardi “in a thousand years.” Another on Monday said there is “zero chance” Saban would leave Alabama to work alongside Lombardi in Cleveland.

There is one rumor that Haslam is prepared to offer Saban a $100 million deal over 10 years to coach the Browns.

Two sources who know Saban have told me that Saban is leaning toward staying at Alabama and if he ever sought to scratch that NFL itch again, it would not be in Cleveland. Once Saban left Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich., said one source, he has never traveled north of Tennessee.

Sexton and Lombardi could be scratching each other’s backs on the Saban rumors, said one source. The theory is that Lombardi gains stature with the Browns by forwarding this tall tale, and Saban inevitably will gain a new deal with Alabama.
    The Crimson Tide could and would re-up whatever it takes to keep him, said a source.

If not Saban, then who?: In his many media platforms, Lombardi frequently talks up Oregon’s Chip Kelly as a quality NFL coaching candidate. In fact, Lombardi formed a relationship with Kelly several years ago. Lombardi may have introduced Kelly to Belichick, who has incorporated some of Kelly’s fast-paced offensive concepts into the Patriots’ scheme.

Kelly, however, would not be a candidate in Cleveland, said a source, because he has the ego and stature at this time to demand total control of football operatios. And that is something only Saban could wrestle from Banner in Cleveland.

Kelly will get full control somewhere in the NFL. One source predicts it will be Kelly’s demise as an NFL coach, given his total unfamiliarity of the league.

So what does that leave the Browns as head coach? Lombardi’s third choice is Canton-native Josh McDaniels, who failed as Denver Broncos coach but has risen form the ashes in his second stint as Tom Brady’s personal coach with the Patriots.

McDaniels, 36, was 11-17 as Denver Broncos coach in 2009-10 after a 6-0 start. His hiring would likely enable the Browns to retain Dick Jauron as defensive coordinator and much of the current defensive staff.

There are other possibilities of how the Browns’ new direction will unfold, but a Banner-Lombardi-McDaniels triumvirate is currently seen as the most realistic.

One source remarked of the Cleveland situation, “From a distance, I’m fascinated with how it turns out.”
    http://espncleveland.com/common/more...g&post_id=9761

Grossi might retire if they hire Lombardi as GM. His distain for the guy is hilarious. Hey Grossi you're not suppose to be bias as a journalist but instead just give me the news. Oh wait in todays media everyone gets to say their opinions and be unprofessional.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Please no Lombardi ray:

vCash
    Grossi just mentioned on the radio that if it doesn't work out with McDaniels another name he's heard as a possibility is Tom Cable.

vCash
    Tom Cable would be a joke.

vCash
    If Banner-Lombardi-McDaniels is the "big splash" leadership group that has been foreshadowed since the takeover, I may just puke and will very quickly be losing hope that anything in Cleveland is actually going to change.

How has McDaniels truly re-established his value? All he did was succeed where he has already succeeded before. His stops in Denver and St. Louis were pitiful to put it politely. I would much rather see a return of Mangini than to see McDaniels as the HC.

As for Lombardi, this would be an absolute joke. This is where my concerns with Banner have been since Day 1. Sure they won a lot of games in Philly, but they never put together a championship team and most of the decisions made there over the past decade were Banner's doing. Banner's ego is slightly larger than the stadium and is known for showing it at all times, especially when he should not.

I am hoping Haslam pulls rank and gives us something to get excited about in January.

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast