Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    vCash
    This is from a source I follow that was the first to break the team being sold as well as Hadens suspension this year when he first failed the Drug Test and also when the suspension came down so take as you want.

CONCEDE
    Ill start w/ something ppl may not have heard bf. I'm told JH3 & JB1 met w/ Stanford HC David Shaw on sat & he's a legit candidate #Browns
    12/3/12 6:21 PM
    CONCEDE
    2nd, as others have said, I'm told Lombardi is "a near lock" to be the next GM #Browns
    12/3/12 6:28 PM
    CONCEDE
    3rd, I'm told Lombardi would likely bring in Gruden who would bring Kiffin as DC. W/ that said, shaw is very viable #Browns
    12/3/12 6:29 PM

TIME TO GET ANOTHER ONE. #DALLAS2DALLAS #BALLISLIFE

vCash

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    So if Lombardi was the GM, the coaches would be:

HC- (Jon?) Gruden
    OC- Shaw
    DC- Kiffen

Or am I mistaken?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruzor12 View Post
    So if Lombardi was the GM, the coaches would be:

HC- (Jon?) Gruden
    OC- Shaw
    DC- Kiffen

Or am I mistaken?
    I think it would be Gruden and Kiffen as HC and DC with a OC being brought in and if they aren't able to get Gruden then Shaw is a candidate with other individuals probably. They probably have about 4-5 guys in mind for the HC position that they will talk with in case their top guys decide not to come here. I don't think Shaw is going to leave Stanford to become a OC in the NFL. Only way he leaves Stanford which I have heard is his dream job would be for much more money and a HC position in the NFL if he wants to take on that challenge.

vCash
    Alright that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification Otto. I don't know how I feel about Lombardi yet. All i've heard is from Grossi who is a tad bias. If he came with some high end coaches though, I would be okay with that. I like Gruden and Shaw as potential coaches.

Is Kiffen a 4-3 or 3-4 defense? Does anyone know?

vCash
    Runs a 4-3 Tampa 2 Defense that he basically created himself from Dungys Cover 2 Defense.

Some highlights of the Tampa 2:

Speed over size and strength. Coordinators that employ Kiffin-style defenses will often replace linebackers with safeties in order to put more speed on the field. In particular, linebackers must be able to cover receivers; in the Tampa 2 scheme, one linebacker frequently drops back deep into coverage, turning what looks like a Cover 2 defense into a Cover 3. Kiffin's defenses also employ quick, penetrating defensive tackles.

Preventing scores over preventing yardage. A Kiffin coordinator doesn't care how many yards an offense gains, as long as the team doesn't score, an approach known as bend-but-don't-break.

Multiple defenses from one look. Kiffin-style defenses try to use the same personnel (or the same kind of personnel) at all times, so that the offense cannot adjust its play call based on the alignment of the defensive personnel.

Attacking and causing turnovers. Kiffin-style defenses focus on getting the ball away from the offense by stripping the ball away from the ball carrier or reading the quarterback to make an interception. The risk is that if the ball is not stripped or intercepted, then the ball carrier on offense has a better chance of gaining more yards or scoring; the reward is that the offensive drive is stopped without a score more often, frequently giving good field position.

vCash
    DEAL BREAKER!!! Whoever the new HC is going to be needs to be able to work with Dick Jauron as his DC (or at the very least run a system VERY similar). He has gotten a lot out of this defense. Keep in mind that Joe Haden, by FAR our best DB, missed 5 games this year, Ahtyba Rubin and Phil Taylor have missed considerable time, there isn't another corner worth a turd on the roster (under the age of 33...only giving Sheldon Brown credit for being "decent"), and our linebackers are VERY green (James Michael-Johnson and Kaluka Maiava).

He has been able to turn this cast of characters into a better than average defense...it would be a shame to lose that simply for the sake of change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    DEAL BREAKER!!! Whoever the new HC is going to be needs to be able to work with Dick Jauron as his DC (or at the very least run a system VERY similar). He has gotten a lot out of this defense. Keep in mind that Joe Haden, by FAR our best DB, missed 5 games this year, Ahtyba Rubin and Phil Taylor have missed considerable time, there isn't another corner worth a turd on the roster (under the age of 33...only giving Sheldon Brown credit for being "decent"), and our linebackers are VERY green (James Michael-Johnson and Kaluka Maiava).

He has been able to turn this cast of characters into a better than average defense...it would be a shame to lose that simply for the sake of change.
    I don't care who the DC is as long as they stay in the 4-3. Jauron has done a good job this season of literally bending but not breaking the whole season where at times you are wondering why he isn't sending more pressure, playing more jam, and some personel questions but then at times too you can see that the players really play for him and he is putting them in + situations throughout the game . The funny thing is that if Kiffin for some reason was brought in then that would literally be the same type of bend dont break defense in the Tampa 2 scheme that Jauron basically runs so there wouldn't be much distinction between the two. The two could care less about yardage but instead keeping the opposition off the scoreboard in the end.

You can say that players play for him but that also could be said for Shurmur as they actually do and have for most of the year where they could have really called him out and gave up on him but haven't. That doesn't mean though we should keep him just because the players haven't given up. I think that shows a maturing team that is ready to compete and win and given the right opportunities they could win more. I wouldn't mind Jauron staying but I also wouldn't mind him leaving if it meant the better of the team and coaching staff communication. Remember too that Haslam comes from Pittspuke and a lot of people believe that he will do a lot of things the same as them, where if he does they kept Lebeau when Cowher left and hired Tomlin who was completely different philosophy wise than Lebeau in their defenses but since Pitt wanted to keep the continuity they stayed with Lebeau and the 3-4. Could happen here with Jauron and the HC.

vCash
    I'm still so up and down on Shurmur. The worse thing to do with young players is keep changing coaches. I'm really gonna watch these last 4 games closely. Because the thing is coaching only goes so far. Gotta have talent to win and the Browns are just now getting that talent and they are winning.

Tom Heckert has to stay in my eyes, He's been really good.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    Rumors of Gruden going to Oakland are laughable.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    laughable but the power oakland is potentially giving gruden is incredible. Please not Michael Lombardi as GM nor Kiffen as DC. He got LIT UP at the college level. he is old and out of touch. I'm hoping Banner takes a good look into what Heckert has done. Heckert from the start said 3-4 year plan. The fruits of his labor are finally coming to fruition. Lombardi bashed the browns for the richardson, weeden and Gordon supplemental picks. he got ran out SF and Oakland. I'm not sure why people seem to think he is this great judge of talent. He helped in Phily but as soon as Andy Reid came over, Lombardi was gone. If a guy has been out of an authoritative position in the nfl for a long time there is usually a good reason for it! i'm all in for David Shaw especially after watching the USC game. I think he brings the perfect mentality and style to this team.

vCash
    Leave it to a Cleveland franchise that is turning the corner and starting to have some promise...to leave open the possibility they will blow it all up. If a combo of Lombardi/McDaniels comes in, I may puke and give up on them like I have the Indians.

We SHOULD legit be 7-6. A ROOKIE LB in his first career game drops a gimmie Vick INT that would have sealed that game and a fluke drop by Gordon vs Indy. Stick to what you know Banner and let Heckert do what he knows. You are a salary cap guy and its not like Heckert is chasing big name free agents and pissing away money. If Heckert is let go, I'm going to be furious.

FACTORY OF SADNESS
    1999-????

vCash
    dont forget the drive against dallas we had that game to! wow what could have been... im on the fence with our coach.. did he learn from his past mistakes?? i dont know..

vCash
    I'm really surprised the Kiffin is walking away from USC. I know its not the NFL, but it is a premiere NCAA gig and he is getting to work with his son. That being said, I would be OK with him if we get rid of Jauron, who I personally want to keep.

I know there is a lot of disdain for Josh McDaniels, but I wouldn't be completely against it if we can have Jauron/Kiffin in place as DC and have strong leadership above him in the GM and Banner. His biggest issue in Denver was his personnel decisions and drafting. If you take those out of his hands I think he can be a good coach. That being said, it wouldn't be my choice to be the team to give him that chance. I just think it wouldn't be a disaster.

I think everyone's first choice would be Jon Gruden. He would be the first big time HC hire for the Browns. It would not only be a great hire from a football standpoint, but it would be great PR and bring some real credibility to the Browns in the national media, especially Gruden's current employer.

I'm still not sure what to think of Chip Kelley. I don't think we have the type of players on offense that he utilizes, which means there would be significant roster turnover if he were to run the style he wanted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhaas74 View Post
    I'm really surprised the Kiffin is walking away from USC. I know its not the NFL, but it is a premiere NCAA gig and he is getting to work with his son. That being said, I would be OK with him if we get rid of Jauron, who I personally want to keep.

I know there is a lot of disdain for Josh McDaniels, but I wouldn't be completely against it if we can have Jauron/Kiffin in place as DC and have strong leadership above him in the GM and Banner. His biggest issue in Denver was his personnel decisions and drafting. If you take those out of his hands I think he can be a good coach. That being said, it wouldn't be my choice to be the team to give him that chance. I just think it wouldn't be a disaster.

I think everyone's first choice would be Jon Gruden. He would be the first big time HC hire for the Browns. It would not only be a great hire from a football standpoint, but it would be great PR and bring some real credibility to the Browns in the national media, especially Gruden's current employer.

I'm still not sure what to think of Chip Kelley. I don't think we have the type of players on offense that he utilizes, which means there would be significant roster turnover if he were to run the style he wanted.
    I think with the Kiffin leaving USC thing, it was either going to be his son leaving or him as the defense was torched this season and someone was going to save face with the fanbase. Think Monte took a bullet for doucher Lane and just decided to walk away.

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast