Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Michael Lombardi told Baskin & Phelps Wednesday morning on 92.3 The Fan that he has not spoken to the Browns about the vacant personnel opening. Lombardi added that he would listen but he already has a good job with the NFL Network and won’t leave unless it’s the right fit for him. Lombardi also said that any interest in the Browns would be predicated on who the coach ends up being.
    CBS Cleveland

vCash
    Marc Sessler on NFL.com quotes some GM candidates as saying Cleveland is #1 or#2 as far as roster talent for new hires
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/...aching-wishlist

I fully expect Chip Kelly to be the HC of the Cleveland Browns by next week if he does indeed leave Oregon. Its either Oregon or Cleveland IMO with him. He will get his control here and also probably a ton of money from JH3. If he stays at Oregon then I fully expect to see Bill O'Brien become the HC of the Browns.

A quick coaching search: I’ve been told by a solid source that the Browns want to introduce their new head coach in seven to 10 days. If that’s the case, the new man will not come from a team involved in the NFL playoffs. Here is how I evaluate the candidates linked to the Browns.
    http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49& action=blog&post_id=10261

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    I was reading this PFT article when the following jumped out at me:

And so the worst-kept secret in college football is that O’Brien is considering leaving. Even the Harrisburg Patriot News is in on the act, reporting (viaCSNPhilly.com) that O’Brien is coveted by a trio of NFL teams (Eagles, Browns, and Cardinals), and that the powers-that-be at Penn State will try to bump his pay to $3.5 million annually, via a private gift.

According to David Jones of the Patriot News, the Eagles could be the least attractive to O’Brien, given that Philly G.M. Howie Roseman is held in “low regard” by Pats coach Bill Belichick.

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    Best Article I have seen on Chip Kelly from a Philly writer. Little long but highly recommend reading for the bashers of Chip Kelly and thinking he is a trick pony.

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles-2/lets- talk-about-chip-kelly/

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    By Tony Grossi

The Morning Kickoff …

A quick coaching search: I’ve been told by a solid source that the Browns want to introduce their new head coach in seven to 10 days. If that’s the case, the new man will not come from a team involved in the NFL playoffs. Here is how I evaluate the candidates linked to the Browns.

The top rung

1. Nick Saban: Close your eyes and imagine a coach taking the Browns to the Super Bowl. The image of Saban easily comes to mind. He possesses all the qualities Jimmy Haslam has listed as imperatives. He has achieved amazing success as a head coach in the NFL feeder league – college football’s Southeastern Conference. He never reached the Super Bowl during his six years in the NFL – four as Bill Belichick’s assistant in Cleveland and two as Miami head coach. This last point is a positive. At 61, Saban has achieved everything in his profession except reaching the Super Bowl. Unlike those on this list who have “been there, done that,” Saban would be especially driven not to fail in what probably would be his last coaching venture. I have three good sources who believe Saban won’t leave, but each admits Saban could change his mind. By the way, Saban would be the most difficult head coach for media because of his dictatorial restrictions.

2. Bill Cowher: I have always considered him the perfect Browns coach – played and coached here, dominated the Browns as Steelers coach, has a complete understanding of the AFC North and an unabashed appreciation of the Browns-Steelers rivalry, is tough and demanding and a fiery leader. The assumption that he would never take a job in the Steelers’ division out of respect to the Rooney family is myth, I contend. Still, he has turned down the Browns on at least two occasions, and several other clubs. He has gotten too comfortable as a CBS football studio analyst and evidently does not have the drive anymore at age 55. That is sad because he probably left a couple Super Bowl appearances on the table when he retired to TV land.

3. Jon Gruden: He has been unduly criticized for his ultra-positive spins as a “Monday Night Football” analyst. As a coach, he favored veteran-laden squads and was hard on his team and staff. But he won, possessing winning marks in regular season (95-81) and postseason (5-4). He has connections to Haslam (grad assistant at Tennessee) and Banner (Eagles coordinator in 1995-97. A Sandusky native who played quarterback at Dayton, he was a boyhood fan of the Browns and has a good knowledge of their history. Out of coaching four years, he is 49 and said to be ready to jump back in.

4. Chip Kelly: The more I read and learn about the Oregon coach, the more intriguing he sounds. Noted for his up-tempo spread option offense, his innovations actually support his passion for the running game. His proponents swear he would adapt his system to his talent and geography. He is 49 and has no NFL experience. But, over the years, NFL coaches have flocked to see him – Gruden, Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, to name a few – and he has acquired an understanding of the league through them and other contacts. He would need a good personnel executive to navigate NFL waters. He is tough on quarterbacks, mentally and physically.

The next wave

5. Bruce Arians: Opportunity called in his 20th NFL season at the age of 60, and he answered. Boy, did he answer. Put out to pasture by the Steelers for being too close to QB Ben Roethlisberger, he was hired by the Colts to shepherd in the Andrew Luck era as coordinator. With the team at 1-3, head coach Chuck Pagano was stricken with leukemia. Arians was appointed as interim coach and guided the Colts to a 9-3 finish and an AFC wild-card berth. He has a track record developing Peyton Manning, Tim Couch and Roethlisberger through each’s formative NFL years. He was Butch Davis’ coordinator in 2002, the only year the Browns have made the playoffs in the expansion era.

6. Bill O’Brien: After five years as an offensive assistant under Belichick with New England, he took on the daunting task of rescuing Penn State from the Jerry Sandusky scandal. An 8-4 first season as head coach made him an instant hot prospect at age 43. Still, no Belichick assistant has succeeded as an NFL head coach. And how many offensive coaches has Tom Brady turned into geniuses?

7. Greg Roman: The former John Carroll University defensive lineman has paid his dues. In 15 NFL seasons, he has gone from quality control/defense to offensive coordinator of a Super Bowl contender. But only after joining Jim Harbaugh at Stanford in 2009 has his career elevated the level of NFL head coach candidate. Roman, 40, has developed an innovative yet physical running game in San Francisco. He has been Harbaugh’s offensive play-caller with a team that has gone 23-8-1 the past two years.

No chance

8. Ray Horton: The 52-year-old former NFL defensive back has proven himself in two seasons as Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator. But the reason teams, including the Browns, are racing to interview him is to abide by the Rooney Rule. Tell me which NFL owner is willing to hire a coordinator of a 5-11 team. Still, the exposure to the interview process will serve him well and that is why the Rooney Rule works.

9. Doug Marrone: After eight years as an offensive assistant with three NFL teams, he returned to his alma mater to become Syracuse’s head coach. In four years, his record is 25-25. Bottom line: Must have a great agent to be getting NFL head coach interviews.

10. Dirk Koetter: Really? As offensive coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2011, it was his brainstorm not to give the ball to Maurice Jones-Drew near the goal line with a game against the Browns on the line. That accounted for one of the Browns’ four wins that season. He moved on to the Atlanta Falcons and has received kudos for somehow teaching Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez how to score points. C’mon, man. Try selling this coach to the Browns’ faithful.

The following coaches, who may or may not have not been linked to the Browns, are not candidates: Tony Dungy, Andy Reid, Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith, Mike McCoy, Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Josh McDaniels andMike Holmgren. (OK, the last one was a joke.)
    http://espncleveland.com/common/more...&post_id=10261

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    This is a pretty cool video of Urban Meyer and Chip Kelly breaking down Oregon's offense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Z9fWpnxyUcU

My favorite part is Kelly at the end discussing how he's not married to any certain offense, just what fits his players best. I also like how he talks about receivers blocking and how important that is for his offense.

vCash
    Oregon is known for using a high-powered, zone-read spread offense. Would Kelly's offensive approach work in the NFL?

“I don't think anybody knows any answers until someone does it,” Kelly said. “The Washington Redskins are doing a pretty good job. … The kid at Carolina has done a pretty good job. But it depends. I don't know. I've never coached in that league. I visited practices and talked to people about it. The one thing about that, about everything, you have to have good players. Sometimes the coaching aspect is way overrated. We don't play the game. I think college football is a personnel driven game. So is the NFL. Your job as a coach very simply is to put your players in positions to make plays, get out of the way and go make them.”

Kelly emphasized that making sure an offense meshes well with the players on the roster is vital to success.

“Anything you do has to be personnel driven,” Kelly said. “You have to adapt to the personnel you have. There's a lot of great offenses out there, but does it fit with the personnel you have? The key is making sure what you're doing is giving your people a chance to be successful.”
    http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-...holds-1.362003

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    This is a pretty cool video of Urban Meyer and Chip Kelly breaking down Oregon's offense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Z9fWpnxyUcU

My favorite part is Kelly at the end discussing how he's not married to any certain offense, just what fits his players best. I also like how he talks about receivers blocking and how important that is for his offense.
    He would have a good one in Little. I loved this guys blocking this year and his development from the beginning where fans wanted him cut to where he is now.

I don't think people realize how smart Kelly is. I think he would run an offense like Belicheck where he is always trying to add something new but also fitting his offense to his players strenghts something that the HC of the Browns has not done in a long time whoever that might be. Tired of these stuck to their system coaches where they are trying to fit a box into a circle and I do not think that Kelly would be one of those. Everyone gets stuck on his spread and zone read offense that they don't realize that the guy is not married to it but instead runs it because of the players he is able to recruit and train for it. Just my opinion.

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    It is unknown at this time whether Philadelphia has or is planning to offer Kelly final say on all roster transactions, which sources indicate could be a deal-breaker in all potential contract negotiations between Kelly and prospective NFL franchises.

Additionally, an NFL source indicated Wednesday morning that Kelly "will interview" with Philadelphia and the Cleveland Browns, with the Browns expected to offer more control over personnel.
    www.crossingbroad.com/2013/01/...aching-job.html

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    I'm starting too want Kelly more than anyone at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgobrownies7 View Post
    I'm starting too want Kelly more than anyone at this point.
    I am the same way, and I have a feeling that we will get him, any ideas of who he might bring in as OC? The guys I would like to see brought in would be David Lee, Karl Dorrell, Norv Turner, or Mark Helfrich. It will also be intresting to see who they would bring in as strength and conditioning coach if Kelly is hired

vCash
    I like Kelly a lot and I haven't read the article Otto posted yet. However, yesterday I was listening to 92.3 the fan with Ken Silverstein. He interviewed someone from a Portland newspaper. The guy made it sound like Chip Kelly should be fired from Oregon. Completely caught off guard by this interview. Did anyone else hear this interview and not get the same feeling? A little nervous, but think Kelly is the best available for the Browns.

vCash
    Heres the thing no one has mentioned....sanctions are coming for Oregon. It makes perfect sense for Kelly to pull a Pete Carroll and leave that situation in the rear-view. With our roster being as highly regarded as it is compared to other teams in search of a coach, I think if we were to offer Kelly the job then he definitely takes it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...tion-scenarios

FACTORY OF SADNESS
    1999-????

vCash
    If anyone gets bored go to the Eagles forum and in the Kelly thread look at how so many people don't want him and the crazy comments why.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandFan11 View Post
    I am the same way, and I have a feeling that we will get him, any ideas of who he might bring in as OC? The guys I would like to see brought in would be David Lee, Karl Dorrell, Norv Turner, or Mark Helfrich. It will also be intresting to see who they would bring in as strength and conditioning coach if Kelly is hired
    That would be interesting but they have already stated in Eugene that if Kelly does jump ship to the NFL then Helfrich will become the HC there which should happen as I have heard from multiple Oregon people that Helfrich is the yang to Kelly's yin. Very smart person apperantly.

I would be more interested in seeing what would happen with the defensive side of the ball. You would have to think that Jauron would get another year to continue to build the D if Kelly was brought in allowing Kelly to focus more on bigger picture, offensive side things. Should be interesting.

This Guy is Ready!!!

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast