Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonevision View Post
    VP of player personnel, that sounds better than GM. Just don't give the man final say on roster moves or draft picks.

Lombardi to New GM: "I really like this guy from _____ University. We should take him at #6."

New GM to Lombardi: "Really appreciate your input Mike, but you're a ****ing idiot. We're gonna go with this guy."
    Hey any guy who said that Blaine Gabbert should have been taken #1 overall in 2011 should be listened to. sarcasm off/, really hoping this is a VP/Advisor role like I mentioned yesterday and someone like Farmer/Gamble is brought in. If Lombardi is the GM the only thing I have confidence in is that Sandusky and Spytek are still here.

Sorry to see you go Wiggy. Should have went to FSU.

vCash
    If Lombardi has final say or Banner does it doesn't matter. Hopefully they bring in someone else. Can't hate them on previous decisions. Have to wait for their moves hear before they can be judged.

vCash
    Browns hired NFL Network's Michael Lombardi as VP of player personnel.
    Lombardi wasn't given the GM title, which leaves open the possibility that Chiefs director of pro personnel Ray Farmer could still be in the mix to rejoin president Joe Banner and Lombardi in the front office. This will be Lombardi's second stint at the head of player personnel, as he also ran the department in the early 1990s before and during the Bill Belichick regime. Although Lombardi has been out of the league since a 10-year run with the Raiders ended in 2007, he's been advising Banner for the past few months.

Rotoworld

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brownies236 View Post
    Not sure they will hire one. I think it all depends on Banner. Should be cleared up after the 11:30 presser if they are still looking for a GM or if Lombardi is the closest thing the Browns will have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonevision View Post
    VP of player personnel, that sounds better than GM. Just don't give the man final say on roster moves or draft picks.

Lombardi to New GM: "I really like this guy from _____ University. We should take him at #6."

New GM to Lombardi: "Really appreciate your input Mike, but you're a ****ing idiot. We're gonna go with this guy."
    I am finding different reports with him listed as being named the GM and him being named the VP of Player Personnel. The more I am hearing is that it is the VP role though which would still allow them to bring in a GM with a personnel background such as Gamble or Farmer.

As a Director of Player Personnel, much of the work involves direct contact with the team's players. On a daily basis, the director may help coordinate team travel, player appearances off the field, train and support players in handling media coverage, assistant with personal matters that effect the team and manage new player orientation programs and initiatives.
    Exact responsibilities vary from team to team, but a general manager (GM) is usually responsible for the whole operation. Many teams however do not give their general manager responsibilities over financial and commercial operations, but rather only over football matters (including salaries of players and other employees connected to the sports operation). Some teams call this GM without financial responsibilities a Vice President of Football Operations or Vice President of Player Personnel. But the media will often informally refer to such positions as the 'General Manager' to indicate that this is the person ultimately responsible for building the football program.

The General Manager will have ultimate authority over the players, coaches, scouts, trainers, and basically anyone who can conceivably have an impact on the product the team puts on the field. Despite having hiring/firing power over the Head Coach, most GMs are expected to treat the coach as a near equal. The GM will consult closely with the Head Coach when selecting players, and it is universally expected that the Head Coach will have substantial powers delegated to him including total control of his roster once the offseason acquisitions are made, and control over his staff.

vCash
    Haslam - Owner
    Banner - CEO
    Lombardi - VP
    Farmer - GM (Would take the title to get him from KC IMO)
    Chud - HC
    Turner - OC
    Horton - DC

All of these guys except probably Jimmy would collectively be in on the draft process I would imagine with recommendations from Sandusky and Spytek. If all of them were not on the same page with a prospect that is where Banner would come in with the final say. That is how I see it going. Lombardi and Farmer would take on a current NFL player aspect ie FA's, trades and other professional football leagues with Banner handling the salary and contract details if it got to that point.

vCash
    Schefter says on ESPN that Lombardi doesn't get GM title, but that will be his role.

vCash
    I can't wait for Grossi's article about this. The Browns FO is probably going to have to get a restraining order on him. Well at least the PC should be interesting today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    Schefter says on ESPN that Lombardi doesn't get GM title, but that will be his role.
    Does that mean that according to Schefter feels like we will not bring in a true GM?

vCash
    Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN
    Of # Browns’ 40 picks during 5-year Belichick-Lombardi regime 1 was a Pro Bowler - S Eric Turner; 15 of the 40 never made the team as rookies

vCash
    Does that mean that according to Schefter feels like we will not bring in a true GM?
    That's the way that I took it..."It's not actually GM in title, but that's the role it will be"

vCash
    Lombardi called the Weeden pick "a panicked disaster." Josh Gordon pick "a wasted pick, Gordon will never make it." That's just last year's draft. Don't forget the JaMarcus Russell incident.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN
    Of # Browns’ 40 picks during 5-year Belichick-Lombardi regime 1 was a Pro Bowler - S Eric Turner; 15 of the 40 never made the team as rookies
    Man...I hope that, like Belichek, Lombardi has grown since then!!!
    Belichek was a below average coach in CLE...became one of the most successful in NE years later.
    Lombardi was a turd here for his first go round, hopefully he has learned a thing or twenty since then!!!!!!

vCash
    Lombardi called the Weeden pick "a panicked disaster." Josh Gordon pick "a wasted pick, Gordon will never make it." That's just last year's draft. Don't forget the JaMarcus Russell incident.
    now I'm not feeling well!!!!!!!!

vCash
    though...I agree that picking Weeden at #22 was a panic pick...not a complete disaster, but considering that you could have had him in round 2 (potentially...or wound up with Cousins or Wilson instead)...not a solid pick.

but.....ohhhhhhhhh JaMarcus Russell??????????????

vCash
    Josh Gordon ‏@JOSH_GORDONXII
    “@AdamSchefter: Browns hired Michael Lombardi as GM.” Uh oh.. Am I in trouble??
    Here we go!!!

Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast