Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Browns coaching and GM search thread.

Figured I would start a new thread regarding this instead of having 3 different avenues to talk about 2013 coaching candidates as we all know that Shurmur is toast at the end of the year.

Did anyone see the interview on Fox sports with Jay Gruden?

He was talking about how he thinks Rookie QB's are put at a huge disadvantage by the majority of coaching staffs out there because they won't allow audibles.... He was talking about how if you watch the college game, these QB's are audibling on their own constantly, you just have to trust that you trained these guys up properly.

Dalton has the ability to audible whenever to whatever.... he said if he didn't allow that he would be putting Dalton in harms way. To be honest he didn't say it, but it seemed like he was making fun of a lot of the ego's in the NFL.

If I was Haslam and Banner I would have my HC search in 2013 down to four possibilities come the end of the year and pounce on one of them. In order:

1. Chip Kelly
    2. David Shaw
    3. Jay Gruden
    4. Mike McCoy

The only coach in that list that does not have NFL coaching experience is Chip Kelly but I am really starting to jump on his bandwagon the more and more I read and watch of Oregon. The guy just seems to be the future of the NFL. I would love to see what Gruden or McCoy could do with this offense and Shaw is that overall HC candidate that doesn't really seem to focus on one side of the ball too much but instead the whole of the game which would be a nice change of pace compared to Shurms right now.

TIME TO GET ANOTHER ONE. #DALLAS2DALLAS #BALLISLIFE

vCash
    Come on, Otto. We all know that Shurmur is the future of the NFL. Hell, they might as well make him the logo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    Come on, Otto. We all know that Shurmur is the future of the NFL. Hell, they might as well make him the logo.
    Come on, Melo. You know the NFL is a league built on winning and not "PROGRESS" or "BATTLING".

vCash
    That's their mistake. Don't worry, Pat will change that soon enough. He's such a great leader.

vCash
    Ray Charles could call better plays than Pat.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    But is it really Pat calling the plays? Nobody knows

vCash
    chip kelly
    nick sabaN
    ....pleasing the casual fan,while telling the hardcore fan to go to hell since 2006

vCash
    I love what Chip Kelly has done at Oregon...but that doesn't translate to the NFL (see the Butch Davis experiment).

I could see Chip Kelly having success in the NFL...but he would need a QB that fits his system...which ain't Brandon Weeden. I think that he could take over for in Washington with RGIII or Carolina with Cam Newton...but to ask him to take over with a pocket passer may be asking too much.

Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't be opposed to him coming to Cleveland, but he would need to bring with him an offensive coordinator that has some imagination while using the pocket passer that we have.

vCash
    i am agree We all know that Shurmur is the future of the NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    I love what Chip Kelly has done at Oregon...but that doesn't translate to the NFL (see the Butch Davis experiment).

I could see Chip Kelly having success in the NFL...but he would need a QB that fits his system...which ain't Brandon Weeden. I think that he could take over for in Washington with RGIII or Carolina with Cam Newton...but to ask him to take over with a pocket passer may be asking too much.

Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't be opposed to him coming to Cleveland, but he would need to bring with him an offensive coordinator that has some imagination while using the pocket passer that we have.
    I'd actually be interested in seeing how he would adapt our offense. Bill Belicheck has adapted his no huddle offense a bit around Chip Kelly's schemes and Tom Brady is the farthest thing from an agile QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post

I think the biggest issue with bringing in someone like Chip Kelly would be that you would have to give him time to adjust his philosiphies and styles to the NFL while at the same time adding the players that he would want for this. I understand the qualm about Weeden not being a mobile QB and Kelly has said in the past that he doesn't look just for a running QB for his offense but yet a QB that can pass first but if need be can run. In that theory if the FO is ready to find their own QB in say someone like Geno next year then Chip Kelly would be very smart to bring in IMO. If they want to run the traditional NFL offense then someone like Mike McCoy/Jay Gruden or David Shaw might be more smart to bring in to continue building what they have with Weeden. I believe Kelly could still cater an offense to Weeden but more than likely he would want a more agile QB to do a lot of things that he likes to do especially in his run game with a lot of read and spread options.

I am a bit in the middle on this issue as I really like Kelly and the new age that he would bring to a very needing organization to get out of the shadows of the past lore of the Cleveland Browns franchise but at the same time would know that it would take a couple years for Kelly to truly establish the kind of team he would want in the NFL and with this fanbase you would have to wonder if he would get that time and if Haslam would be able to sell the fanbase on not a rebuild but a transition into something different than the norm. There are a lot of players already on the team that I believe could do very well in Kelly's offense if he did come to the Browns but more than likely they would have to change QB's to get the most out the coaching.

I guess a lot of this depends on how Weeden plays the next 7 weeks though.
    Last edited by ottograham14; 11-15-2012 at 11:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleywilliam View Post
    i am agree We all know that Shurmur is the future of the NFL.

vCash
    Shurmur is the worst head coach in the NFL. Yes, I'd rather have Romeo as my coach.

BELIEVELAND 2014 WE PUSHIN

"George Hill is a better pg/player than Kyrie Irving"

-Spursfan1/WadeKobe/Jamiebcaller

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Shurmur is the worst head coach in the NFL. Yes, I'd rather have Romeo as my coach.
    That's a bold statement but I hate to say it but I agree.

vCash
    Jimmy Haslam calling for David Shaw? Anybody, anybody. Mike McCoy is looking really good lately too.

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast