Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Tin-foil Hat Moment - Coaches

I'm probably not saying anything weird when I mention this, but you've probably also heard whispers of this in your social circles as well - this whole McHale thing smells a bit fishy.

Look, if my son or daughter is ill, I'm going to tell my team "Hey, the kiddo's sick, it's pretty serious, he/she has *whatever it is* and I'll need to be home for a couple weeks at the most."

This whole "indefinitely" thing smells like one of two scenarios :
    • Serious illness - my first reaction was he has a child with cancer, no laughing matter
    • Staying mum on the subject with vague details for true respect to privacy (maybe TOO vague though)
    • Publically giving K-Mac a suspended and polite exit from the team?

The third one is what I've been hearing a LOT of around work, while walking around Toyota Center during halftime, even on my ventrilo server while I'm shooting it up on World of Tanks. Coincidence, or are we all keeping a tinfoil hat in our back pockets?

Let's just say the latter was true... then what?
    • Does Kelvin Sampson stay at the helm?
    • Is Sloan on Morey and Alexander's Speed Dial? (I know this wasn't met with much favor around here last season)
    • What about Phil?

Think about the last one ... he's a bit pissed off as is Laker nation of the way the whole D'Antoni hiring went down - he's even on record saying he's shocked how it all played out. You don't handshake agree on letting cooler heads prevail until Monday, then call the guy on Sunday at midnight to say "Oh, nevermind, we hired Mike." Bad form... really bad form.

So (whips out the tinfoil hat), Phil's a bit upset by it. Phil is willing to go back into coaching again if the conditions are right (creative control like Pat Riley has, culturing his successor, etc), and there was no confirmation that he made a demand about the travel schedule, so it sounds like he's willing to play ball there. Here's the what-if of what-if's ... Alexander and Morey quietly meet with him, gives him a lot of what he wants including an opportunity to crush the team that should be led to the promised land in most people's eyes, with a youthful and energetic group of up-and-comers.

Too much fantasy island? Does option 2 seem more feasible?

Should I put down the paste? It tastes soooo good this morning.

vCash
    I'll admit that this thing stinks and that it could potentially mean McHale is on his way out, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him show up next game on the sideline. Remember how weird the Lowry "bacterial infection" was and how hush hush the team was on Martin's injuries last season? Clearly, this front office has a history of keeping the details locked up as long as they possibly can.

But in the case of Martin, I think all of those injuries were totally bogus and the team was just benching him because he played like crap and they wanted to trade him. So perhaps this is the front office's way of keeping things quiet until they can replace him as coach. IF that is the case (which I still think is unlikely), then they won't bring in a big name coach. They'll probably let Kelvin Sampson finish out the season before bringing in Chris Finch, which is what Morey has wanted all along.

And Phil Jackson? C'mon dude. Phil had ridiculous demands of the Lakers and even the freaking Lakers didn't want to pay him that much money. Phil is only going to go to a team where he's got a guaranteed championship contender and while the Rockets are certainly up and coming, they're a good 2-3 years or one superstar signing away from being in that discussion.

vCash
    This seems to have all fallen at or around the same time...

McHale's "indefinite" leave of absense

3 People moved to the D-league

Royce White taking acting lessons from Dwight Howard?

What if... K-Mac was staunchly defending his decisions on these guys, and Les and Daryl just weren't having it? How come there hasn't even been a phone interview with K-Mac since his departure even as a "How are things holding up?" by people like David Aldridge from NBATv?

What if ... my signature pic comes true? Would you hate him? Would you *honestly* hate him?

Raising Jersey's first, trophies and banners next...

vCash
    It's possible that there have been disagreements between Morey and McHale about how to play the young players, but I think it would be pretty ridiculous if that's the reason why McHale is taking a leave of absence. Could these things be connected? It's possible, but extremely unlikely.

And I would be fine if the Rockets brought in a veteran coach, but I don't know if Sloan is the right guy, and I doubt that's what Daryl Morey has in mind for this franchise.

vCash
    I say we take a young up and comer, seems fitting for the youngest team in the league. I would rather be the Thunder/Bulls than the Lakers.

vCash
    If there's gonna be a coaching change, which is extremely unlikely, I'd be fine with Sampson.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    This was asked in a different thread but since this one is about coaches, I'll add this here...

No, I'm not Sloan's kid. I'm looking at all the available options out there for a veteran coach who can mold a young team into something great.

D'Antoni is no longer an option.

Stan Van Gundy - while not a bad choice, doesn't seem readily available (or maybe no one has called him... what a shame)

Nate McMillan - appears to be heading to LA as Mike's assistant so he's out.

Phil Jackson - will *never* happen because he only goes for sure things (team stack much?).

Larry Brown ... turns teams records brown (in the pants) so just no there.

Mario Elie - too green

Sam Cassel - same as Mario Elie

Patrick Ewing - same as the above (this would mainly be a 'name' to attract people, and it wouldn't work, much like having K-Mac didn't work as intended either)

Mike Fratello - seems happy where he is on tv.

The perfect scenario in my mind with who's available out there is Sloan. He's not desparate for a job, he's been on record stating this as such. People aren't blowing up his phone or breaking down his door (at least to my knowledge) but there's a great basketball mind in there. He can take on someone like an Elie or a Cassel or a Ewing as an assistant and culture them into a coach some day. His Flex offense would work pretty well with the lineup we've got.

Trying to couple a young team with a young coach is asking for mediocrity or utter failure for a few years while they feel one another out. Bringing a determined and intelligent veteran coach to mentor a successor and to bring a little old school to a new generation of young talent is the way to go.

vCash
    ^So I'm guessing you don't want Sloan to coach here?

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    ^So I'm guessing you don't want Sloan to coach here?
    I see wut you did tharr..

I'd be happy with SVG here, but I think Sloan in a mentor-system with a good potential assistant makes the most sense. His offense works with the team we have, his age doesn't keep him committed to us for more than 6-8 years if he works out, and when he retires for good, he'll have instilled his style of coaching and offense in his assistant who should be a shoe-in as a replacement.

Of course this is ONLY if the front office really has quietly dismissed McHale like a lot of the rumor mills are whispering about.

vCash
    Isn't Sloan retired?
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    6-8 years??? We haven't had a coach last longer than 4 years since Rudy T.

Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Sampson seems to be doing a decent job really. I love his rotation so much more than Mcfails.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyestx View Post
    This was asked in a different thread but since this one is about coaches, I'll add this here...

No, I'm not Sloan's kid. I'm looking at all the available options out there for a veteran coach who can mold a young team into something great.

D'Antoni is no longer an option.

Stan Van Gundy - while not a bad choice, doesn't seem readily available (or maybe no one has called him... what a shame)

Nate McMillan - appears to be heading to LA as Mike's assistant so he's out.

Phil Jackson - will *never* happen because he only goes for sure things (team stack much?).

Larry Brown ... turns teams records brown (in the pants) so just no there.

Mario Elie - too green

Sam Cassel - same as Mario Elie

Patrick Ewing - same as the above (this would mainly be a 'name' to attract people, and it wouldn't work, much like having K-Mac didn't work as intended either)

Mike Fratello - seems happy where he is on tv.
    A whole lot of big names on that list... man are you going to be upset when Chris Finch is the head coach next season.

vCash
    Chris Finch will be our next coach, for sure.

Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    i agree in bringing in sloan. hated him as a jazz but would love him as a rocket. even though i still have nightmares of his offense in the playoffs, i can still fantasize and dream about it being the rockets future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast