Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Home Field Advantage

Honest question. Why is playing at home so important and why is it such an advantage? And i agree that it is. Alot of players are new to teams, but yet playing at home is such an advantage when it comes to playoffs or regular season games.

vCash
    There are a lot of different ideas on the subject, mostly dealing with the home crowd both distracting the opponent's offense, and the feeding energy to the home team, but here's another possible explanation. I don't necessarily fully endorse this, but a lot of people who don't buy the home crowd idea like this:

http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/12/...ntage-and-why/
    Last edited by neovenator250; 11-13-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

vCash
    The Cowboys have more fans on the road than at home lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousbig21 View Post
    The Cowboys have more fans on the road than at home lol.
    Probably because they don't have to pay the outrageous ticket prices for the home games.

vCash
    I mean its something i really honestly wondered for the nfl. Because its not like there jet legged, like most hockey teams fly in the same day as the game, were as nfl teams are there 1 or 2 days before they actually play. And another point, was about the lions matchup against green bay this weekend. Someone saying if it were in green bay we'd get killed, but sense its in detroit, we have a chance? Is really a different atmosphere that big of an advantage or difference?
    Last edited by GoLions8190; 11-13-2012 at 09:24 PM.

vCash
    It depends on the team. Seattle relies heavily on their homefield advantage. Teams like the Giants and Packers have proven they can win anywhere.

vCash
    It means literally nothing to Panther fans. Our fans are easily bottom 5 in the NFL. Our fan base is almost always negative. I think given our short history we've had a fairly respectable team overall. We've made a SB, two NFC championships, and outside of the last three years, we haven't been a "bad" team (usually finished 8-8), yet our fans will act like we're the Browns or something (and the Browns have amazing fans).

Unless Carolina is playing another young team or a weak team, there isn't enough of a crowd turnout to account for a home-field advantage. In week 3 the Panthers were 1-1 going against the 1-1 Giants. We were coming off a huge win against NO and the game was extremely hyped and was expected to be an important game by many. Before the game even started there were enough Giants fans in the stadium to hear cheers for their players ("Cruuuuuuuuuz").

I've been to 8ish Panthers games (I live in VA) over the last 10 years, and every time I've ran into old farts who own PSLs who gripe if you stand up on 3rd/4th down, yet the only thing they do at the game is complain about how bad Carolina is and leave in the 3rd quarter. They all have primary teams (usually Dallas, Pittsburgh, Philly, NYG, or GB) and only go to Panther games because they live there, so any time one of those previously mentioned teams come to town, they root for both (or in one terrible experience I saw, they root for the Panthers and Cowboys at the exact same time). There was recently an article in the Charlotte Observer about a PSL owner who purposefully sells tickets to the opposing team, because he's upset with the team's lack of wins.

vCash
    Because your fans will cause a distraction to the other team.

Because your team is accustomed to playing at home.

Because your team gets more fired up playing at home.

Because away opponents might feel not at home and play scared.

Simple

**** you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post

Simple

I agree with you on the fired up part. But accustomed? They only play maybe 16 games a YEAR. And alot players arent even around for more than a year or 2. So they cant be so use to play at a specific place. And i really cant see to many of these nfl players being scared at away places. They played in college were some stadiums were twice as big as what there playing in now.

vCash
    Pointing out the obvious here but the Offense of the opposing team can't operate with the crowd noise and the D-Line gets off the snap quicker.

Depends on where you play though because some places really don't have the advantage.

Just about that action boss.

vCash
    Where is JB when you need him

vCash
    you are asking for JB to slaughter you here

vCash
    Placebo effect has a part in it as well.

PSD's Aaron Dropson.
    Honorary packers fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post

Simple
    Quite the opposite for the NYG.

vCash
    fan support, weather and lack of traveling (which can have negative effects)
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals