Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Aschburner: "Teague passes test against Rondo..."

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/1...-rondo-reboot/

CHICAGO – Six years ago, a slender point guard hit the NBA as a late first-round draft pick out of Kentucky, toting a bag of confidence along that seemed bigger than he was. Rajon Rondo took his lumps on a bad Boston Celtics team for a year, then began his climb through a championship season in 2007-08, all the way to premier status among the league’s playmakers.

Against the Celtics Monday night at Chicago’s United Center, a slender point guard who’d arrived late in the first round from Kentucky, with a similar oversized bag of confidence, stepped onto the floor against the great Rondo. Marquis Teague and his team didn’t win – Boston shot 60 percent in the first half, then protected its lead late for a 101-95 victory – but the kid went breakthrough.

Rondo was lethal, with 20 points on 10-of-16 shooting, nine rebounds, 10 assists and five steals. But Teague played the entire fourth quarter in place of Nate Robinson – both of them were subbing for Derrick Rose and Kirk Hinrich – and repeatedly had the ball and the game in his hands over the final nine minutes.

“That is the first step,” Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said. “[Leandro] Barbosa and Rondo are super-quick. I like that match up for Marquis. He got us playing with energy.”

Through Chicago’s first six games, Teague had logged a total of 10 minutes. In this one, the rookie – he’s listed at a preposterous 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds – played 18, made one of his four shots, got to the line a couple of times, pilfered three rebounds, had two assists and a turnover and scored five points.

He seems more mild-mannered than Rondo, yet was just as oblivious to the pedigree matched up against him. Whether that meant chasing Rondo on the perimeter or taking the ball into the paint strong, right up into Kevin Garnett‘s grill.

“I don’t think it’s any fun to play against Rondo whether you’re a 10-year guy or a 1-year guy,” Boston coach Doc Rivers said. “Y’know, Teague is a tough kid. I’ve watched him play for a long time because him and Austin [Rivers, New Orleans rookie and the coach's son] played AAU against each other. I thought he handled it pretty well.”

No biggie for Teague, whose brother Jeff is the Atlanta Hawks’ starting point guard. Growing up in Indianapolis, Teague faced top competition in and outside his family (Boston’s Courtney Lee, for instance), and of course he was part of Kentucky’s NCAA title team last spring.

“My whole life,” the Chicago guard said when asked if he’d had nights like Monday. “I’m not really fazed by the situation I’m in. It doesn’t matter to me. I’ve played in a lot of big games in my life. So it’s just another game.”

Rondo, now a three-time All-Star and a possible MVP candidate this season, wasn’t surprised by a thing Teague did. Taking it at Garnett? “Nobody’s, like, scared of anyone,” Rondo said. “He went in and attacked the basket. He made the right play.”

Teague even had the temerity to think he was getting an “and-1″ when the whistle blew. But no, he was cited for fending off Garnett with his left arm.

Just following Thibodeau’s orders, Teague said later. Use his speed. Play aggressive.

“My confidence is the same,” he said. “Never [down]. It’s always going to be there. I’m a basketball player. That’s how I feel.”

Competitive as he is, Rondo initially was stingy in assessing Teague’s play. Then he opened up: “He’s been a winner all his life – he won at Kentucky. So I don’t think he’s short on confidence. He was ready when his number was called. He got to the cup a couple of times, drew some fouls in crunch-time minutes. For a player that young, your confidence just grows and grows. I’m sure he’s going to continue to work ‘cuz you never know. Just like Kirk got hurt and D. Rose is out to start…”

Teague’s upside this season is modest enough – he might be angling for a bigger role as one of the Bulls’ placeholders till Rose returns from knee rehab. But Rondo wasn’t taking any chances. The Boston guard said he didn’t offer any tips or wisdom to the fellow former Wildcat.

There is no higher praise.
    Pretty cool article. I had the game on the radio last night during work and it sounds like he is aggressive on both ends of the floor. I'm excited and always thought he was a good pick. Can't wait to see his development.

vCash
    Would like to see him start, until Rose gets back. If he does well, it's another tradable asset

vCash
    He drove me beyond nuts last night passing open 3's with less than 6 seconds or so on the shot clock. Did that at least 2-3 maybe more times and we were forced into an awful shot.

vCash
    Starting Teague would be a horrible idea, he had one decent game. Did anyone see him in summer league? I want him to play but starting might be too much for him now, we dont want to mess with his confidence

vCash
    He doesn't have that range though. What drove me nuts is that no one was bailing him out. I would love to see how he would play with Boozer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncbball234 View Post
    Starting Teague would be a horrible idea, he had one decent game. Did anyone see him in summer league? I want him to play but starting might be too much for him now, we dont want to mess with his confidence
    That's 2 months ago. Now he's playing under Thibs and getting advice from Hinrich and Nate. I wouldn't start him yet though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
    He doesn't have that range though. What drove me nuts is that no one was bailing him out. I would love to see how he would play with Boozer.
    Him & Deng were best friends last night on the court.. Deng always came to Teague when the clock was running out.. Before Teague shot that long contested three, Deng damn near killed him self trying to get open and get the ball for him.

vCash
    Deng was the only one scoring. I'm talking about Taj always be in midrange instead of posting up or Jimmy cutting. Noah is always ready to crash the boards.

vCash

Teague

Ws/UK fan here. Nice to see Teague get some minutes. I see him being a top ten 1. Watching him play last year was great. He's a glue guy.

vCash
    That's 2 months ago. Now he's playing under Thibs and getting advice from Hinrich and Nate. I wouldn't start him yet though
    Yes that was 2 months ago, did you see him play in those games? He was terrible against summer league comp. the kids got potential but lets take easy with expectations. He's going to show flashes but consistency will be a problem like is with most young players. It's good to be excited but to start him at PG would be a huge mistake. IMO that is the deepest position in the league. I'm sure he'll get plenty of chances with KH already banged up.

vCash
    Yeah and do you know how many one year and done PGs struggle in SL?

vCash
    Yeah and do you know how many one year and done PGs struggle in SL?
    Do you know how many struggle in the regular season?

vCash
    There is no need to rush Teague's development. He got his opportunity last night because Nate was playing poorly and that's precisely where he will stay in the rotation when Rose returns.

Outside of stellar draftees, most players spend the entirety of the season getting acclimated to life in the NBA and Teague will be no different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncbball234 View Post
    It's not like we're going far this season anyway. I'd much rather look to develop our young guys and bring Rose along slowly, maybe get a high draft pick in the process, and get the pieces for the second hopeful surge in 2014 FA.

vCash
    I thought he played well defensively. His offense left a lot to be desired, but he's still really, really young.

I do agree w/ Kozy's outlook on the season though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast