Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Stay or GTFO

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • He sucks and needs to GTFO

    74 74.00%
  • Keep him, he is an important part of our team

    26 26.00%
Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 616 to 630 of 955
  1. #616
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,003
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    Height just like athleticism plays a huge factor in determining a players worth. It's kind of like a base whereas the more athleticism or height one has the better base that person has to build skills off of.
    being 7 feet tall only adds value to a SF if they retain the skills of a SF or have the skills needed to thrive as a PF/C.

    if Calderon woke up tomorrow 7 feet tall and we made him a center it would not add to his value in the least.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 11-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  2. #617
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    being 7 feet tall only adds value to a SF if they retain the skills of a SF.

    if Calderon woke up tomorrow 7 feet tall and we made him a center it would not add to his value in the least.
    Disagree,

    How does Davis go from a unknown for 3ys into to blue chip only after a growth spurt, if height does not add value to a player?.

  3. #618
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,003
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Disagree,

    How does Davis go from a unknown for 3ys into to blue chip only after a growth spurt, if height does not add value to a player?.
    because he has the skills to match his ultimate position on the basketball court@!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  4. #619
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    because he has the skills to match his ultimate position on the basketball court@!!!!
    Uselss as a SG, blue chip as a PF, what allowed him to be a PF with that skill set?.

  5. #620
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,003
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Uselss as a SG, blue chip as a PF, what allowed him to be a PF with that skill set?.
    OMG i am not going any further with this. agree to disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  6. #621
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    OMG i am not going any further with this. agree to disagree.
    If he doesn't have the height, how could he have the perfect skill set for PF?.

  7. #622
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,003
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    If he doesn't have the height, how could he have the perfect skill set for PF?.
    when have i ever implied that height wasn't important. all i have argued is that extra height is only advantageous if it's in addition to the requisite ability's needed for ones position.

    if height was as important as you say somebody would have figured out that the way to win was a lineup with five 7 footers.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 11-22-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  8. #623
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Pharcyde of the Moon
    Posts
    10,494
    vCash
    4500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    being 7 feet tall only adds value to a SF if they retain the skills of a SF or have the skills needed to thrive as a PF/C.

    if Calderon woke up tomorrow 7 feet tall and we made him a center it would not add to his value in the least.
    That logic applies downwards as well as upwards. If a tall player was smaller then they wouldn't be as good. Shaq wouldn't be shaq without size. He wasn't a particularly elitely skilled player, but it didn't really matter because his size is what really made him unstoppable.

    A player is x amount of good and has y height.

    in this closed system player value would = y(x)
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

  9. #624
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,003
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    That logic applies downwards as well as upwards. If a tall player was smaller then they wouldn't be as good. Shaq wouldn't be shaq without size. He wasn't a particularly elitely skilled player, but it didn't really matter because his size is what really made him unstoppable.

    A player is x amount of good and has y height.

    in this closed system player value would = y(x)
    of course not, i completely agree. i don't see the relevance to this discussion on Bargnani though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  10. #625
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    when have i ever implied that height wasn't important. all i have argued is that extra height is only advantageous if it's in addition to the requisite ability's needed for ones position.
    Important, meaning a component of a competency to do a certain kind of work at a certain level, which can also be considered "talent".

    Straight quote from Wikipedia.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    if height was as important as you say somebody would have figured out that the way to win was a lineup with 5 7 footers.
    There's a reason the shortest players in the NBA are 6'.

  11. #626
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,003
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Important, meaning a component of a competency to do a certain kind of work at a certain level, which can also be considered "talent".

    Straight quote from Wikipedia.



    There's a reason the shortest players in the NBA are 6'.
    it's a game for tall human beings. what's yer point?
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  12. #627
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    it's a game for tall human beings. what's yer point?
    Bargnani has talent being 7' tall. You yourself stated he had the ability to shoot over players, could he do that without the height?.

    Your letting what he can't do over shadow what he can.

  13. #628
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    48,389
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Bargnani has talent being 7' tall. You yourself stated he had the ability to shoot over players, could he do that without the height?.

    Your letting what he can't do over shadow what he can.
    All good posts. Clearly height is one of his key attributes. The COMBINATION of height AND skill are what make these guys NBA players. Both attributes have to be there though.

    And yes, I agree, it's a very good point that people are letting what Bargs CAN'T do overshadow what he CAN do.

    That's why it's difficult for Casey to take him off the floor or for BC to give up on him.

    Unlike fans that only see bad in him, they see the frustrating combination of good and bad. The good tantalizes; the bad frustrates. This year is probably going to be the watershed year to decide which outweighs the other because is not ALL of either bad or good.

  14. #629
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,003
    vCash
    1500
    part of what made Tracy McGrady great was the fact that he was so tall but still retained the abilities of a guard. so height was a huge advantage but only because he retained top level skills for his position. if the Raptors had decided because of his height that he should be a PF, that would have destroyed his effectiveness on the court.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  15. #630
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    All good posts. Clearly height is one of his key attributes. The COMBINATION of height AND skill are what make these guys NBA players. Both attributes have to be there though.

    And yes, I agree, it's a very good point that people are letting what Bargs CAN'T do overshadow what he CAN do.

    That's why it's difficult for Casey to take him off the floor or for BC to give up on him.

    Unlike fans that only see bad in him, they see the frustrating combination of good and bad. The good tantalizes; the bad frustrates. This year is probably going to be the watershed year to decide which outweighs the other because is not ALL of either bad or good.
    A result of constant losing & a need to place blame,

Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •