Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Four African girls created a urine-powered generator. 1L of urine = 6 hrs of power

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...234718329.html

Four African girls have created a generator that produces electricity for six hours using a single liter of urine as fuel.

The generator was unveiled at last week's Maker Faire in Lagos, Nigeria, by the four teens Duro-Aina Adebola, Akindele Abiola, and Faleke Oluwatoyin, all age 14, and Bello Eniola, 15.

So how exactly does the urine-powered generator work?
    - Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out the hydrogen.
    - The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.
    - The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
    - This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.

And as for delivering the fuel itself? Well, we'll leave that up to the consumer.
    The Maker Faire is a popular event across the African continent, drawing thousands of participants who travel to Lagos to show their inventions and other practical creations.

As the Next Web describes it, the Maker Faire is intended to highlight creations "that solve immediate challenges and problems, and then works to support and propagate them. Put another way, this isn't just a bunch of rich people talking about how their apps are going to change the world."
    i honestly think this could be very useful in disaster zones such as NYC where there is no power and gas is scarce. just make sure you drink a lot of fluid!
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    this could honestly be a big breakthrough. It's obviously something in the urine making it run. If scientists could expand that and pinpoint that component(s), it could be interesting for future renewable sources of energy.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    this could honestly be a big breakthrough. It's obviously something in the urine making it run. If scientists could expand that and pinpoint that component(s), it could be interesting for future renewable sources of energy.
    the hydrogen in the urine is what's making it run. the article explains how the generator works.

but yea, i'm honestly worried that someone might steal these girls' ideal, mass produce it, and get rich off of it. i hope these girls have good mentors who help them patent the idea and sell it.
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    They could be on the verge of one of the greatest breakthroughs for our generation. This would be huge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    but yea, i'm honestly worried that someone might steal these girls' ideal, mass produce it, and get rich off of it. i hope these girls have good mentors who help them patent the idea and sell it.
    Since this discovery broke, I bet scientists everywhere else have made it their own.

vCash
    Just to let everybody know last year I invented a generator that runs off of human piss.... Just thought now would be a good time to bring that up.

vCash
    I can already see a "Pee for me" slogan next to a picture of a little kid who has no energy.

vCash
    Also, does this detect THC and can it give me pure THC?

vCash
    Can you have sex with it?

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Im sure the gas companies and such are looking to buy this up. Then theyll shelve it and well never hear anything about it again.

vCash
    breaking the water into its components would take more energy than what the hydrogen itself would power. Its not a breakthrough really unless you use a green alternative to breaking the water for example solar power. And if thats the case, some car company (honda) i think is already experimenting with that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kjoke View Post
    breaking the water into its components would take more energy than what the hydrogen itself would power. Its not a breakthrough really unless you use a green alternative to breaking the water for example solar power. And if thats the case, some car company (honda) i think is already experimenting with that
    This. Also you'll note that they don't say how much electricity we are talking about. Powering a house is a bit different from powering a 1-watt light bulb.

vCash
    Africa > America

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
    "From the stomach at birth, till I'm under the earth."

#DUBSUP

vCash
    What's even more complex here then the actual generator, trying to pronounce the kids names.

vCash
    Wow, that's actually really incredible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast