Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The "Okay, I'll say it... We were wrong about Marcus Morris" Thread

So, I was holding off on this one until after tonight, because I was so sure he would do something so awful that it would warrant us forgetting he had played well through the first six games of the season. But quite the opposite, the dude plays decent defense, drills a corner three in the fourth quarter which kept the game close and had another insanely efficient game with short minutes.

Before tonight's game, here were Morris numbers through six games:
    In 18.8 MPG... 9.3/5.2/0.3/0.5 on .462/.235/.400 shooting

That doesn't sound that sexy, right? Now let's project those numbers over 36 minutes:
    In 36 minutes... 17.8/9.9/0.6/1.0

Holy crap... The dude's averaging 18/10 over starter's minutes. And his 16.5 PER and .119 WS/48 are well above average numbers despite his awful shooting numbers from 3 and from the line, so once they average out a bit, those numbers will improve.

I still think it's too early to say he's completely out of the doghouse, but I can officially say that I'm nowhere near the vicinity of calling him a bust yet. In fact, if this keeps up, I think they should consider giving him more minutes. Just imagine what this team could accomplish if he could fill sort of a Thaddeus Young 6th man off the bench position? And even if the Rockets decide not to keep him, imagine what kind of value he could bring Houston if this play continues for the whole season?

So, what are everyone's thoughts? Am I insane for starting to like the kid a little bit or is everyone else drinking the Marcus Morris koolaid?

vCash
    I've always thought he needed a shot. He hit a HUGE 3 in the forth and the crowd went nuts. I was there. He surprised the he!! Outta me.

vCash
    He's been pretty good, playing tough defense, getting rebounds, hustling in the paint. And his game could be even better if he didn't have to play most of the time at the 4 IMO, he's just not strong ebough to play there defensively. He's still shooting to many bad threes though.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    I like his hustle. Still needs a lot of polish. Maybe he can show his potential and can be used in a trade now.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    first time i saw him tonight, if he is a rookie he looks good, but its hard to project a per36 when he fouled out in 18 min...

vCash
    I wasn't wrong, I still think he is getting used to playing at the NBA level since he only played 17 games last season he is basically a rookie. Didnt they try to get him used to the 3 last season when they sent him to the D-League? Does anyone think he'd be better as a 3 ? his 3pt range isnt that bad his shot has just been off this season IMO.
    Last edited by TMAC94; 11-13-2012 at 03:55 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
    first time i saw him tonight, if he is a rookie he looks good, but its hard to project a per36 when he fouled out in 18 min...

A first rounder a year ago, he got beat out quickly by our second rounder Chandler Parsons who also quickly beat out Chase Budinger for the starting 3 spot.

And yeah, he seems like a different player the last few weeks, but that's probably just with getting minutes and confidence. It also probably has something to do with that chip on his shoulder. Hoping he keeps it up.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 11-13-2012 at 04:42 AM.

vCash
    would have liked it much better if he can improve his SF skills. he could be a Corliss Williamson type of player, overpower smaller 3's and stretch out bigger and stronger 4.
    CALVIN ABUEVA

BEAST MODE: ON

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal slumber View Post
    would have liked it much better if he can improve his SF skills. he could be a Corliss Williamson type of player, overpower smaller 3's and stretch out bigger and stronger 4.
    I totally get what you're saying, but the reference completely threw me off. In all honesty, I don't even remember ever hearing that name, and I've been watching basketball since 1994. Apparently he played multiple seasons with Sacramento and Detroit, but I can't remember the guy...

vCash
    I think if anything the game's we are seeing from Morris and PatPat show the type of coach that Kev is. A rookie spends a year getting to know the NBA and should focus most his time in the gym training, that way when he is introduced into the rotation he is clear what he role is on the team and help the team instead of just getting a few stats in the box score.

I see 3 guys just got sent to the D-League. I guess this runs in Kev's mind as his rookies getting some game time in which they can work on the skills he wants them to improve on.

I admit at the start of the season I hated that Dmo and white were not in the rotation, and shocked that Jones wasn't playing 15-20 minutes a night, and even thought Scott should be playing the backup role. However after seeing Morris and PatPat contribute the way they have this season, I have to give some credit to Kev. He is old school in that being a high draft pick doesn't make you an auto selection in his rotation, if a more experienced guy is just a tiny bit better than you for the system, then you play the vet, make the rooks earn it.

Right now Morris is earning it.
    C: Asik PF: PatPat SF: Parsons SG: Harden PG: Lin

vCash
    ^ I think you're right, and I think Morris has really learned from last season. Clearly he wasn't ready and had some things to work on, so he hadn't earned the right to get minutes that Parsons was getting. But instead of *****ing and moaning, the dude played extremely well in the D-League, stepped up his game in the preseason and is clearly shining early on this year. I wasn't expecting this kind of an attitude adjustment, but it's been a pleasant surprise and I hope he keeps it up.

Hopefully Jones, Motiejunas, Machado and/or White will take a similar approach. Because with the way the frontcourt is playing, it isn't likely that they'll be getting a lot more minutes anytime soon. I could see Machado possibly earning some playing time if Douglas continues to screw up, but Douglas has played a little better in the last two games.

I think one of the big things to watch this season will be if Morris can make the transition to playing more time at SF. If he does, then I think we'll see a lot more minutes for Jones at PF and maybe even some minutes for D-Mo or White.

vCash
    I see a much bigger advantage in this plan instead of letting every rookie get 30 minutes a game (note all the abuse Kev gets for not playing rookies, and therefore is a siht coach).

I like that Kev will fight for 40 win's in a season rather than just saying "lets play the rooks and tank". I just can't see why people think that having rookies play big minutes while going 18-64 on the season would be a good plan. Yes you get a higher draft pick, and yes your rookies get more exposure to the NBA game, but what about teaching guys to have a winning mindset. We don't want to have a Wizards/Bobcats type team that can say "oh yeah we are losing, but these rookies are getting good minutes, and we will get a top 5 draft pick"

Quality minutes over quantity, and why get more draft picks? so we can have even more rookies do the same thing? PatPat and Morris are both top 15 draft picks and are both proving that coach kev's system works, its just a slower speed than most are wanting. Also personally I think going 40-42 and getting the 14th pick again would be a good success for this year. If just one of those rookies learns what Morris did last year its a success. Players you earn their spot, learn to play hard to keep it, which will help us moving forward.
    C: Asik PF: PatPat SF: Parsons SG: Harden PG: Lin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TMAC94 View Post
    I wasn't wrong, I still think he is getting used to playing at the NBA level since he only played 17 games last season he is basically a rookie. Didnt they try to get him used to the 3 last season when they sent him to the D-League? Does anyone think he'd be better as a 3 ? his 3pt range isnt that bad his shot has just been off this season IMO.
    Yes, and he lost some weight too to play there. I just don't think he should be playing the 4 all the time.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegame187 View Post
    I see a much bigger advantage in this plan instead of letting every rookie get 30 minutes a game (note all the abuse Kev gets for not playing rookies, and therefore is a siht coach).

I like that Kev will fight for 40 win's in a season rather than just saying "lets play the rooks and tank". I just can't see why people think that having rookies play big minutes while going 18-64 on the season would be a good plan. Yes you get a higher draft pick, and yes your rookies get more exposure to the NBA game, but what about teaching guys to have a winning mindset. We don't want to have a Wizards/Bobcats type team that can say "oh yeah we are losing, but these rookies are getting good minutes, and we will get a top 5 draft pick"

Quality minutes over quantity, and why get more draft picks? so we can have even more rookies do the same thing? PatPat and Morris are both top 15 draft picks and are both proving that coach kev's system works, its just a slower speed than most are wanting. Also personally I think going 40-42 and getting the 14th pick again would be a good success for this year. If just one of those rookies learns what Morris did last year its a success. Players you earn their spot, learn to play hard to keep it, which will help us moving forward.
    I like this post a lot. Very well said.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    He got his **** together and saw the light down in the D League. Not many now this, but the Rio Grande Valley team is an affiliate of the Rockets, similar to a AAA team, other teams are not as lucky and don't have this. Other teams can still send players down to the D League, however if they don't have the affiliate any team can pick them up.

With that being said, I think he benefited from this a lot and I think guys like DMo and Royce when he gets his **** together will benefit from it as well. I'm really starting to get irritated by White and his antics on twitter these past 48 hours.

I understand he has a disease and we've assisted him in getting to games, and while we are rebuilding McHale and his staff don't have to play guys just to please them. If he's not the best to be in the rotation then at least he'll get playing time in the D League and work on his skills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast