Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Originally posted by RaiderNation24......makes sense to me!

The Packers were once a mediocre team, at best, from the 1970s through the 1980s. Look at their history: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/. Every team has their struggle years; it's inevitable. If you visit the website I just listed you'll notice much better overall records since McKenzie became a scout in 1994 and moved up the ranks as the Packers' director of player personnel and the team's director of football operations. Reggie made a positive impact on that organization due to his ability to spot and sign talent. During Reggie’s time in Green Bay, there were only two seasons where the Packers had more losses than wins, and two 8-8 records. If the goal for the Raiders is to have continuity, consistency, and successful seasons, then how is Reggie not the right guy for the Raiders' GM job? He’ll restore this franchise and make them a contender again. Look at the last 20 years when Reggie was with the Packers: there were only 4 head coaches as opposed to Al Davis' 10 head coaches in Oakland’s last decade.

If there is neither consistency nor continuity in the head coach position, then erratic and unsuccessful seasons will be the result due to lack of time for any coach to implement their scheme. Don't find this to be true? Look at the last 10 years for the Raiders. Al Davis wanted things done his way. Unfortunately, he thought his way was the only and best way. He held the Raiders back from achieving success ever since he traded Gruden because he wouldn’t tolerate Al’s micromanaging methods and stronghold grip. Who replaces a coach that never had anything worse than two 8-8 records along with a 10-6 and 12-4 record in the span of 4 years? Al Davis.

vCash
    Max, this is a very important topic. There is a sharp contrast between Al and Reggie, yesI just put them in the same sentence.

For all of the dimished results towards the end, Al was above all else a football guy, someone that new the game front to rear. A lot of people don't know that Al was a maverick from day one, he always took the path less traveled whether it be scouting black college players, giving some a new lease on a football career, or employing schemes that others shunned. Al was stubborn, he was bright and most of all consistent. As football made the jump to mainstream popularity Al was at the forefront giving us fans everything we could ask for.

Al was consistent even as times and values changed, this, along with his health would seal his demise.

Fans should note the differences with the new regime. We are not plinking coins into the one armed bandit hoping for the reels to come up jackpot, my friends, we are in the process of stacking the deck.

I hold a little more reverance for Al than you do Max, but your point is relevant and correct. We are on a different path and we will see results not today but in the near future, from a new man's consistency.....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

-John Madden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    Max, this is a very important topic. There is a sharp contrast between Al and Reggie, yesI just put them in the same sentence.

For all of the dimished results towards the end, Al was above all else a football guy, someone that new the game front to rear. A lot of people don't know that Al was a maverick from day one, he always took the path less traveled whether it be scouting black college players, giving some a new lease on a football career, or employing schemes that others shunned. Al was stubborn, he was bright and most of all consistent. As football made the jump to mainstream popularity Al was at the forefront giving us fans everything we could ask for.

Al was consistent even as times and values changed, this, along with his health would seal his demise.

Fans should note the differences with the new regime. We are not plinking coins into the one armed bandit hoping for the reels to come up jackpot, my friends, we are in the process of stacking the deck.

I hold a little more reverance for Al than you do Max, but your point is relevant and correct. We are on a different path and we will see results not today but in the near future, from a new man's consistency.....
    First ,I have to give cradit to RaiderNation24 this was his response to another thread and tought it should be a thread,I hope you don't mind 24. I grew up in Oakland and truly admired Al for what he gave to us "blue collar"fans,I grew to dislike him after he moved the team to L.A. and began letting his ego make decisions with regards to this team,players and coaches that being said nobody can deny what he did for the league and the organization......it just got really old hearing what he did in the past knowing and seeing what was going on in the present.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
    First ,I have to give cradit to RaiderNation24 this was his response to another thread and tought it should be a thread,I hope you don't mind 24. I grew up in Oakland and truly admired Al for what he gave to us "blue collar"fans,I grew to dislike him after he moved the team to L.A. and began letting his ego make decisions with regards to this team,players and coaches that being said nobody can deny what he did for the league and the organization......it just got really old hearing what he did in the past knowing and seeing what was going on in the present.
    It was definitely time for change.

vCash
    I only Al I knew was the egotistic one max described RIP AL.

Additional props to dodgersuck my Raider brethren!

vCash
    Well even football novice GM's like ourselves could see the game had passed us by. As much as we respected and love Al Davis and the Raider mystique. We could all see the game changing around us but we weren't. The hiring of a GM should have happened 15yrs. ago (at least). We should have never let a great coaching talent like Jon Gruden go. Players sent away, Players kept, Players drafted or shouldn't have been drafted. Etc. We must remain patient because it will take a while to clean this up and bring structure to this franchise. There are no quick fixes.

We cannot continue as we have in the past by overspending for aging F/A's who are looking for their final payday (i.e.) Warren Sapp and Richard Seymour. We cannot draft players because of their measurables at the combine (i.e.) DHB, Chris Johnson as well as JaMarcus Russell. Especially because we are a team with limited resources. We also must recruit and keep the highest quality coaches but not over pay for names. We are not like the Dallas Cowboys where Jerry Jones has endless cash. Although the Cowboys have proven that you cannot spend your way to a championship, they must be built from the ground up. Every move that is made has got to be thought out and executed like laser precision, We must limit our mistakes. RM has a rough job ahead and it's just the beginning, The payoff will be SB trophy #4.
    Last edited by midwestlaker75; 11-17-2012 at 08:26 PM.

vCash
    Ummm, I think a guy by the name of favre came on board a year or so before mckenzie and THAT is when the winning started(lol).
    It has been continued by their luck in having rodgers fall to them at the bottom of the first round in 2005.

look at RMs overall Draft success and it is only remarkable in the fact they WORKED the draft by trading down and aquiring more picks.

Having more selections is the only mystery to having success in the draft.
    RM has had more then a couple 1st round Busts.

His success rate is around 3 in 10, just like almost every other team in the league...
    This idea that people are enormously better then others in identifying talent is a nice fairy tail to sell to fantasy football players and Football obsessed fans.

You can not measure heart, or physical ailments, or injuries,or trade ups that nab who you wanted ,or a dozen other factors out of your control.
    You do the homework and the you roll the dice...thats all youve got.
    If your lucky people praise you
    if your unlucky, you stink...
    its kinda silly.....

vCash
    Rogers didn't fall,many didn't see what McKennzie saw.............I guess that's luck. Davis had NO luck over that last 10 yrs but nobody was ready to throw him to the wolves or discredit his draft or FA failings. McKennzie WILL be trading down to get multiple picks,football players as oppossed to physical freaks who run fast,what happens after we get them is up to the coaches but I feel a lot more confident knowing this is being done the right way and not the Davis way.

vCash
    Hmmm ,i seem to remember a different Aaron Rodgers

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...UBNDF9zpe-uetg
    played right up the road from you, granted he was only a two year starter, but his numbers where nice.

vCash
    I went to 6 games while he was playing, a lot of fun to watch...........that's when Cal was ....uh good..hahaha

vCash
    I like the way people past and present piss and moan about Al Davis,

And yet seem to be completely incapable of ceasing to talk about him. Every damn day.

Just like his Oakland Raiders.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NavajoRaiderfan View Post
    I like the way people past and present piss and moan about Al Davis,

And yet seem to be completely incapable of ceasing to talk about him. Every damn day.

Just like his Oakland Raiders.
    Regardless Navajo, it makes for an interesting conversation.

vCash
    All these morons who want to win now, fire DA, question RM, etc..., have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to the game. You cannot fill a roster with intelligent and efficient players when you overpay like Al did. Paying one DB $16 mil, two DT's $26 mil, means the rest of your depth will blow on defense. Not only that, but add horrible drafting tactics and you have a roster full of ****.

People wonder why our OL is so horrid and WR's so bland... Again, overpay few, under-perform with many. Our priority every draft was WR and DB, not OL and DL where the game is won. Now we have a roster filled with overpaid leftovers, over drafted athletes, unintelligent chicken legged brokeback mountain RB's, WR's whom are too small to compete, DB's whom should be busts, and DL who might be good enough to be backups elsewhere.

To build a championship team, it takes years. In Oakland, it will take more. Not only do we need to bring in players for three years and build them in the system. We also have to shed a decade of bad decisions.

This is a 4-5 year plan people. Year two will be just as bad. Our cap is still out of control and we do not have a full draft...and yeah, you can't blame that on RM. By year three, it will be time for a QB change which probably will not lead us to the playoffs. Horrid contracts should be done, and a full draft will finally happen. Year 4-5 we will see the maturation of the team, system, new QB, draft picks and FA's from RM, and be back on track to being a competitive sports franchise.

So for all of you that cannot handle the lack of a "win now" attitude by DA and RM, want us to fire the coach every time we loose, want Hue back, want Chucky back, etc...

SF is looking for bandwagonners...

vCash
    And for those whom want to give examples of franchises turning it around in a year...

Please include in your example comparable decisions made by their front offices for a decade like ours.

vCash
    I don't mind who takes the credit for my response in another thread. I just wanted others to be aware of the type of GM the Raiders have now: a good one. Also, just for fans to have more faith and believe in the Raiders/Reggie because there's every reason to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast