Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Glenn Thomas hired as QB Coach

From 2001-07, Thomas spent his coaching tenure at Midwestern State. As a graduate assistant coaching wide receivers (2001-04), the Mustangs won the Lone Star North Division Championship in his first season.

Thomas oversaw the school’s passing game and quarterbacks in the 2004 campaign, and helped guide MSU to its first NCAA playoff appearance in school history while recording an 8-3 record.

Thomas transformed Midwestern State’s offense into a powerhouse while serving as Offensive Coordinator from 2005-07. In 2006, the school led all Division II teams with 470.1 yards of total offense per game, but more impressively led the entire NCAA in total offense (550.0 yards per game) and rushing (317.0 yards per game) in 2007.

Thomas worked diligently to perfect his craft as the Texas Tech graduate found time to work with the Baltimore Ravens in-between seasons at Midwestern State. He was responsible for working with wide receivers (2002-03, ’05) and also helped out with Baltimore’s quarterbacks. It was also at Baltimore where he was introduced to current Falcons Head Coach Mike Smith. Thomas attracted Smith’s eye as the two also worked together during Smith’s tenure with the Jacksonville Jaguars for one season (2004).

Following his graduation from Texas Tech, Thomas began his coaching career at his alma mater from 1998-2001 as a student assistant.

A native of Eastland, Texas, Thomas was an all-district selection in football, basketball and baseball at Eastland High. He is married to the former Felicia Gooch.
    Report from the AJC, currently the QC coach.

vCash
    Here we go again

vCash
    Ahh why can't we get people that are proven at this level lol

vCash
    ^ We had Bratkowski, who was proven, but I'm pretty sure no one in this forum wanted him around anymore. Other 'proven' QB coaches are either staying at their current gigs or moving on to be OCs. IMO, a good QB coach has to be the master of the film room, which it seems like this guy has been doing behind the scenes.

vCash
    Didn't we want to avoid proven guys who were stuck in their ways?

vCash
    Yeah I suppose so. Just never heard or him really or our new OC, not syaing the can't or won't do great jobs just like to know what I'm getting type of thing.

vCash
    ^ You don't remember Koetter from Arizona State a few years ago?

It's natural to have concerns, that's usually the way it is when you have so many coaching changes. Probably best to take a wait and see approach since they still have to make some big personnel decisions in the next few months.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 02-01-2012 at 09:01 AM.

vCash
    nah dont remember him dont pay that close of attention to that side of the country to much. Just the headliners type stuff. Im also horrible with names so I may know what your talking about but dont remember the individuals involved.

vCash
    Bump. So how much credit does this guy deserve for Ryan's improvement? Any thoughts?

He could become the next OC if some other team hires Koetter to be their head coach.

vCash
    Clearly didn't hurt.

I could see him becoming our OC or getting picked off like every other OC we've had. When are teams going to realize that Ryan is great.. Not our QB coaches or OCs?

With that said, someone helped Ryan's confidence both with making throws and with standing in the pocket. I don't know who did it, but they deserve an awesome reward. If that was Thomas then he clearly does deserve a shot at a higher position. If that was Koetter then whatever motivational Jedi mind tricks he has are clearly head coach material. If that was Sarah Marshall [his wife, I only remember because she also stars in my favorite movie's title.] then she deserves whatever it is women want. A puppy or a fireplace or something.

vCash
    Love that movie, lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Nivar
    With that said, someone helped Ryan's confidence both with making throws and with standing in the pocket. I don't know who did it, but they deserve an awesome reward. If that was Thomas then he clearly does deserve a shot at a higher position.
    That's pretty much how I see it.

Although I do give MM some credit for bringing him along. He just seemed incapable of getting Ryan to the next level.

vCash
    Ryan has looked a lot more composed and confident. He has been in the past, but the word was that once he started getting hit, he became erratic. Our Oline hasn't been the greatest this year, and he still hangs in there. He's been impressive this season. I hope he stays healthy and keeps doing what he's doing