Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

checkers v chess

Put aside the simple days gone by of analyzing personnel changes.

No one has been a fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers (the team that first played here when I was 7, turning 8 during that season, in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum) longer than me. In that time I have never seen a front office demonstrate such a complex and apparently ongoing strategy. I have read a lot of analysis of trades, have felt many of the things expressed, only to see I was looking over to the right when the front office was steering over to the left.

It is my conclusion that while I have been playing checkers (metaphorically) these guys are playing chess. Any judgement of what they have done needs to be deferred until we get to see the end result on opening day. This trade by trade view is just to short sighted.

What I can say with absolute surety is that this is the most exciting Winter Meetings that I have ever followed. In my gut, I have a feeling that as a Dee Gordon fan, they did not share my feelings and felt he was a temporary player at that position, to be replaced in a year, and this was the time to get value for him with a defensive upgrade with pop, for that year. As someone who felt that Kemp was back, they felt he had peaked in value, and better to get prospects with a catcher (who for the life of me, I don't see the value) and either create a better farm system, or... who knows.

Fasten your seat belt. This is going to be an exciting ride.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    Put aside the simple days gone by of analyzing personnel changes.

No one has been a fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers (the team that first played here when I was 7, turning 8 during that season, in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum) longer than me. In that time I have never seen a front office demonstrate such a complex and apparently ongoing strategy. I have read a lot of analysis of trades, have felt many of the things expressed, only to see I was looking over to the right when the front office was steering over to the left.

It is my conclusion that while I have been playing checkers (metaphorically) these guys are playing chess. Any judgement of what they have done needs to be deferred until we get to see the end result on opening day. This trade by trade view is just to short sighted.

What I can say with absolute surety is that this is the most exciting Winter Meetings that I have ever followed. In my gut, I have a feeling that as a Dee Gordon fan, they did not share my feelings and felt he was a temporary player at that position, to be replaced in a year, and this was the time to get value for him with a defensive upgrade with pop, for that year. As someone who felt that Kemp was back, they felt he had peaked in value, and better to get prospects with a catcher (who for the life of me, I don't see the value) and either create a better farm system, or... who knows.

It's a long winter and spring is still coming so it will be an exciting ride hopefull ending with a great roster that can win it all. For now I don't see that but I'm not Friedman.

vCash

It's been a terrifying ride so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post

It's been a terrifying ride so far.
    Not for me. The underlying basis of your terror is Gordon is the Gordon of the first half of last year, and Kemp is the Kemp of the second half of last year. Additionally it would take the idea that Kemp would be happy and a good clubhouse guy when he is moved to left field.

Your approach to analyzing trades is a fairly reasonable on in a simple analysis, that being, did the trade in and of itself make the team better. Checkers

The approach of the front office is different. Their approach takes into consideration pieces for future trades, players coming up, maximizing value and more. Chess

I like their approach. I lends itself to a better sustained team. It is thinking 10 moves ahead, not just action and reaction.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    A team this close just lost hanley ramirez matt kemp and dee gordon. Only play we have signed who even compares to their talent is rollins...

Who is 36 yrs old

Terrifying ride bro

Representing that 330!!!!

vCash
    LMAO artful dodger still playing candy land
    always wanted to be a procrastinator but never got around to it!

vCash
    A ride's more fun if you don't wear a seatbelt
    An itchy trigger finger with the Report Button on speed dial.

vCash
    Lol. Artful Dodger needs some Tums...

vCash
    I like this Cabernet guy - a welcome breath of refined air
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoMania View Post
    Lol. Artful Dodger needs some Tums...
    We all might need some watching this offense...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    Not for me. The underlying basis of your terror is Gordon is the Gordon of the first half of last year, and Kemp is the Kemp of the second half of last year. Additionally it would take the idea that Kemp would be happy and a good clubhouse guy when he is moved to left field.

Your approach to analyzing trades is a fairly reasonable on in a simple analysis, that being, did the trade in and of itself make the team better. Checkers

The approach of the front office is different. Their approach takes into consideration pieces for future trades, players coming up, maximizing value and more. Chess

I like their approach. I lends itself to a better sustained team. It is thinking 10 moves ahead, not just action and reaction.
    You've no idea what my underlying terror is.

Yeah they got a real good piece and flipped him for a 1 year player, so where's the future planning there? none of the pieces they got in terms of prospects are anything special, the arms from SD are mediocre at best.

They didn't maximise value with Gordon or Kemp though, and the Kendrick/Gordon/Healey shambles was very short sighted, and the opposite of sustainability. They also hugely overpaid for an injury prone back end starter.

The catcher they got has a reconstructed knee and was done for PED use.

Chess? more like Buckaroo.
    Last edited by Artful Dodger; 12-12-2014 at 01:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ReBirthofNumber81 View Post
    A team this close just lost hanley ramirez matt kemp and dee gordon. Only play we have signed who even compares to their talent is rollins...

Who is 36 yrs old

Terrifying ride bro
    Some heads in the sand round here.