Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    With all things revolving around the magic $189m in 2014, why not bump it up a year now so that 2014 is our new beginning?

Hear me out...

The whole idea is to get under $189m so that the luxury tax resets at 17% rather than go to 50% , right?

Well, then lets do it right now since this years FA class is awful and be back at it next winter.

Let the following leave for draft picks and/or trade them:

Kuroda - $10 mil
    Andy - $2.5 mil
    Swisher - $10 mil
    Soriano- $11 mil
    Martin- $7mil
    Grandy- $14 mil

That's about $55 million off the books and we can keep Cano and maybe sneak Andy back in there .

Suck it up for a year, even if we drift back to the pack.

Itchy
    Jeter
    Cano
    Tex
    Arod
    Nunez/Ibanez
    Dickerson
    Romine or cervelli or Stewart
    Gardner

CC
    Hughes
    Phelps
    Nova
    Vet retread or Andy

Thoughts?
    Well, the only problem with doing it now, is that for 2013, the threshold is $178 Mill, not the $189 mil that it is for 2014. The Yanks can help themselves this year by setting themselves up well, and will probably do so as just as you point out, this seasons UFA class is not anything to write home about.

The one good thing about Martin hitting pretty badly is that is numbers will be lower. The best help for 2014 would be if our young pitchers who spent 2012 on the DL (Man Ban, Pinada, betances...etc) all can come back and pitch well in 2013 allowing the Yanks to get cheaper for 2014.

vCash
    I dont think we need to go that extreme to get under 189M in 2014. Swisher and Soriano will leave either way. I dont think we'll bring back Granderson in 2014. We'll probably save a portion of Rivera's 15M because we'll probably sign a cheaper replacement. We can bring back Martin on 3 yr 7M/Yr contract, we can always trade him later. We're a little over 200M, those moves along with AJ's salary coming off in 2014, Faliciano's this year should get us under 189M in 2014.

We can bring Koruda back and bring in some guys on 1yr deal and be competitive in 2013. We just have to wait how things playout. Some of our younger prospects can emerge and we could have a totally different team in 2014.

I think we still have a pretty good team. The offense sucks but if we can bring in the right peaces on one year deals, We'd still have a chance of winning it all. We have a bunch of good hitters in the minors, we just need to buy time until they come up or until we can trade them for young more affordable players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYBALL View Post
    DON;T FORGET WE STILL HAVE TO PAY A-FRAUD 114 Million (next five years) & A. J. Burnett 10 MILLION 2013 year.
    Holy **** we get it. You don't like a-rod.

vCash
    Do you think some players would ever defer money so we can get under that year like If Arod would defer 6 million of his contract in 2014 to be payed out each year after his contract expires with interest. Would CC defer any? If it meant being players for free agents? I feel it's a good move on both sides.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    Do you think some players would ever defer money so we can get under that year like If Arod would defer 6 million of his contract in 2014 to be payed out each year after his contract expires with interest. Would CC defer any? If it meant being players for free agents? I feel it's a good move on both sides.
    It's not allowed. The cap number per player is the average of the entire deal.

Hence, arods cap number is $27.5 each year for his 10/275m deal even if he makes 30m one year or 20m another year.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

"Wait a second.....did they say they are releasing new names from Biogenesis soon? I think I may have just soiled myself..."

Tick....tock.....tick....tock...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    It's not allowed. The cap number per player is the average of the entire deal.

Hence, arods cap number is $27.5 each year for his 10/275m deal even if he makes 30m one year or 20m another year.
    Well, it's allowed... it just does not give any salary cap relief.

You guys need to forget all of those tricks you see played in the other leagues to keep under the cap... MLB and MLBPA has not left those loopholes to play with.

vCash
    I might agree with you on this point. Regardless of Cashman's plan, he's going to upgrade the outfield and he needs a starter (assuming Kuroda departs). The question is can you retain Martin (6.5-7 Million) & Granderson (13.0 M with escalators).

Trading Granderson into this CF market might be a wise move if you can return young MLB ready talent. If you're Atlanta, would you rather take B.J. Upton (28) for 5 Years 75.0 Million or trade one of you Arms (they have a glut) for Granderson's affordable 1 Year 13.0 Million?

vCash
    The yankees have just signed Kuroda for $15, and we know they've picked up Granderson's option. They'll probably retain Martin, and Ichiro for 7 and 8 million each? Then there's Rivera at 14 million and Andy probably at 10 million. All this along with pay raises for some of the other players and I don't see how this team is even remotely cheaper than the 2012 team. This whole, we have to get the payroll under 189 million is a complete joke.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    The yankees have just signed Kuroda for $15, and we know they've picked up Granderson's option. They'll probably retain Martin, and Ichiro for 7 and 8 million each? Then there's Rivera at 14 million and Andy probably at 10 million. All this along with pay raises for some of the other players and I don't see how this team is even remotely cheaper than the 2012 team. This whole, we have to get the payroll under 189 million is a complete joke.
    Yeah, and notice that Kuroda is only a 1 year deal, Granderson expires after next year, Martin will only get signed for more than one year if it is on the cheap... Don't look at the 2013 salary and call the plan for 2014 a joke. I hear the only UFA's they are looking at this season are guys on 1 year deals, or ones that can be had for really cheap.

I would start looking at Robbie and Curtis and break the rules and start talking extention now. You might save a bit of $$$$ by not allowing them to hit UFA (well, with curtis... Robbie has that demonic agent, Scott Boras, he will be a UFA), but that would allow the Yanks to plan to go forward. They have so much money coming off the books after 2013, that locking up the core talent will allow for going forward. Pettitte and Kuroda won't be that appealing next season due to age, hopefully the guys like Phelps, nova and Warren will be better enough to go forward with and save more money. Derek's contract will also drop quite a bit for it's last year to only 8 mil, assuming he even comes back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    They're certainly not going to be under 189M in 2013 and probably not even under 200M. As for 2014, the question is not whether they can get under 189M but what kind of team can they put on the field for <189M. At best, guys like Phelps, Nova, Banuelos, and Pineda step up and produce and they stay in contention. At worst, 2014 will be as close to a rebuilding year as you're likely ever to see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12