Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Possible $189m Solution Idea

With all things revolving around the magic $189m in 2014, why not bump it up a year now so that 2014 is our new beginning?

Hear me out...

The whole idea is to get under $189m so that the luxury tax resets at 17% rather than go to 50% , right?

Well, then lets do it right now since this years FA class is awful and be back at it next winter.

Let the following leave for draft picks and/or trade them:

Kuroda - $10 mil
    Andy - $2.5 mil
    Swisher - $10 mil
    Soriano- $11 mil
    Martin- $7mil
    Grandy- $14 mil

That's about $55 million off the books and we can keep Cano and maybe sneak Andy back in there .

Suck it up for a year, even if we drift back to the pack.

Itchy
    Jeter
    Cano
    Tex
    Arod
    Nunez/Ibanez
    Dickerson
    Romine or cervelli or Stewart
    Gardner

CC
    Hughes
    Phelps
    Nova
    Vet retread or Andy

Thoughts?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    It can get ugly watching that rotation all year, depends if Nova can bounce back and if Hughes can continue to have success. Same with Phelps as a starter he was pretty good, see how it translates as a full time starter.
    New York Yankees
    Los Angeles Lakers (Jimbaco)
    Detroit Lions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    With all things revolving around the magic $189m in 2014, why not bump it up a year now so that 2014 is our new beginning?

Hear me out...

The whole idea is to get under $189m so that the luxury tax resets at 17% rather than go to 50% , right?

Well, then lets do it right now since this years FA class is awful and be back at it next winter.

Let the following leave for draft picks and/or trade them:

Kuroda - $10 mil
    Andy - $2.5 mil
    Swisher - $10 mil
    Soriano- $11 mil
    Martin- $7mil
    Grandy- $14 mil

That's about $55 million off the books and we can keep Cano and maybe sneak Andy back in there .

Suck it up for a year, even if we drift back to the pack.

Itchy
    Jeter
    Cano
    Tex
    Arod
    Nunez/Ibanez
    Dickerson
    Romine or cervelli or Stewart
    Gardner

CC
    Hughes
    Phelps
    Nova
    Vet retread or Andy

Thoughts?
    I like that idea as an alternative of my trade proposal of the Arod/Cano package idea. I know the Yanks are banking on Swish/Sourpuss on leaving and opened a bottle when they declined. They probably are on the fence on Kuroda so its a win-win either way. The rotation is young but roll with the young guns. if you are not sold on Logan, Hughes or Joba, consider adding them to the trade list since they will hit FA in 2014 or sign them now. i think you can bring back Martin since with young arms, an experience catcher helps (plus i think you can get him back for cheap). Of course, in keeping Cano, Grandy is trade bait now.

The Yanks need to really, really look at changing that no negoiation or extension while they are under control. You can easily lock up logan, hughes and joba cheaper (consider Gio signed for 5yrs at 45) to 5 yrs at 25. Be smart now with signings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PACISLE View Post
    I like that idea as an alternative of my trade proposal of the Arod/Cano package idea. I know the Yanks are banking on Swish/Sourpuss on leaving and opened a bottle when they declined. They probably are on the fence on Kuroda so its a win-win either way. The rotation is young but roll with the young guns. if you are not sold on Logan, Hughes or Joba, consider adding them to the trade list since they will hit FA in 2014 or sign them now. i think you can bring back Martin since with young arms, an experience catcher helps (plus i think you can get him back for cheap). Of course, in keeping Cano, Grandy is trade bait now.

The Yanks need to really, really look at changing that no negoiation or extension while they are under control. You can easily lock up logan, hughes and joba cheaper (consider Gio signed for 5yrs at 45) to 5 yrs at 25. Be smart now with signings.
    Logan is a guy I would look at trading. Too many innings.

vCash
    I just don't think the Yankees would ever do the rebuilding year, which this is. And they really shouldn't have to if they are smart about it. The whole budget idea is all about money. I'd say putting a team like this out there loses them a lot more money than any taxes they'd have to pay in the coming years. This team had trouble filling the stadium in the playoffs, imagine how much of a ghost town it'd be with a team like this being throw out there.

vCash
    I think if the Yankees got rid of Arod, you will hear a cheer coming from New York. I know big names have been brought in (Clemens, Randy Johnson, Arod) but dont you think winning solves all? A younger hungrier team would not be better to watch? Watching the Yanks sometimes felt so boring....like routine...robotic. I went to the last series they played in Baltimore and it was crazy there. I dont think the Os were better up and down that list. Compare their starting pitching to the Yanks. Even with the young guns, the Yanks have CC at the top. A legend in Jeter. A great defensive first baseman in Tex and the greatest closer ever. Whoa, should i change to become a used car salesman now?

vCash
    We need to keep Russell Martin some way or another. I don't trust Stewart, Cervelli, or Romine's bat.

However, I do agree with the overall idea of your post. This $189M cap is legitimate.

I'm willing to cash in on draft picks in a weaker market if it means getting younger and splurging in 2013-2014.

SS Derek Jeter
    CF Brett Gardner
    2B Robinson Cano
    1B Mark Teixeira
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    LF Curtis Granderson
    DH Eduardo Nunez
    C Russell Martin
    RF Chris Dickerson

Even still, this is not a bad lineup.

SP CC Sabathia
    SP Andy Pettitte
    SP Phil Hughes
    SP Ivan Nova
    SP David Phelps

Stockpile a few veteran starters who will take deals to be strictly depth.

CP Mariano Rivera
    SU David Robertson
    SU Joba Chamberlain
    MR David Aardsma
    MR Boone Logan
    LS Clay Rapada/Josh Spence/Cesar Cabral

Only big difference is Mariano Rivera for Rafael Soriano but that's a moot point, since Rivera is Rivera.
    Last edited by DerekJeterDan; 11-13-2012 at 02:30 AM.

vCash
    If we rebuild Andys retiring hes not coming back unless were competing for a WS

vCash
    force everyone to take pay cuts. problem solved
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    force everyone to take pay cuts. problem solved
    Not a problem solved because it'll NEVER happen. The players union would NEVER allow that.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

vCash
    trade robinson cano, problem solved

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    Not a problem solved because it'll NEVER happen. The players union would NEVER allow that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    you don't get sarcasm that well do you?
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    DON;T FORGET WE STILL HAVE TO PAY A-FRAUD 114 Million (next five years) & A. J. Burnett 10 MILLION 2013 year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekJeterDan View Post
    We need to keep Russell Martin some way or another. I don't trust Stewart, Cervelli, or Romine's bat.

However, I do agree with the overall idea of your post. This $189M cap is legitimate.

I'm willing to cash in on draft picks in a weaker market if it means getting younger and splurging in 2013-2014.

SS Derek Jeter 17M
    CF Brett Gardner 3M
    2B Robinson Cano 15M
    1B Mark Teixeira 23M
    3B Alex Rodriguez 29M
    LF Curtis Granderson 15M
    DH Eduardo Nunez 0.5M
    C Russell Martin 7M
    RF Chris Dickerson 0.5M

Even still, this is not a bad lineup.

SP CC Sabathia 23M
    SP Andy Pettitte 10M
    SP Phil Hughes 5M
    SP Ivan Nova 0.5M
    SP David Phelps0.5M

Stockpile a few veteran starters who will take deals to be strictly depth.

CP Mariano Rivera 15M
    SU David Robertson 3M
    SU Joba Chamberlain 2M
    MR David Aardsma 0.5M
    MR Boone Logan 3M
    LS Clay Rapada/Josh Spence/Cesar Cabral 0.5M

Only big difference is Mariano Rivera for Rafael Soriano but that's a moot point, since Rivera is Rivera.
    That will barely get you under 189M, assuming your bench players are all 0.5-2M guys. That's also probably a 3rd place team with no starting pitching depth and a couple of ?? in the starting lineup (Nunez and Dickerson) and no bench depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast