Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    Nate, your positions are clearly stated and well articulated- you do not regurgitate information that is handed to you. I am talking about the folks who don't think for themselves. I don't care what soeone calls themselves, if they know why they feel as they do, and have self determined reasons why.
    If I could take a moment to put on my horns and play some devil's advocate. I would like to see people start to admit to the fact that to some degree or another we are ALL influenced by these external issues. Some to a greater degree and some to lesser degree, of course. But show me the person who claims to have carefully evaluated their every position and I will show you a big fat liar. We can't help it, we do not have the time and this is just not the way our brains function most efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Nate, your positions are clearly stated and well articulated- you do not regurgitate information that is handed to you. I am talking about the folks who don't think for themselves. I don't care what soeone calls themselves, if they know why they feel as they do, and have self determined reasons why.
    I think both sides have good arguments and big flaws honestly. It is certainly problematic when someone can't look at something for themselves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    That is becasue you are FREE nate, many that follow the conservative ideology cannot voice dissenting opinions.
    You see it all the time.
    Gingrich calls Ryans plan RT wing social engineering, and 12 hours latter he is on the TV saying he didnt mean it.

of course he meant it. what are we stupid?
    he got his rick stepped on and had to reverse himself becasue they told him he had to.

It happens in the R camp over and over.
    I don't know that "free" is the term I'd necessarily use - given that I don't believe in free will - but either way...

Mostly, it just bugs me to see people use "independent" to mean that they decide on their own (to whatever level anyone does) what their position on the issues are, in turn implying that those that are not "independent" do not. It's nonsense.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Your gonna have to take me a little futher down that road Nate.
    I feel we are somewhat restricted in our ability to stray from certain instinctual impulses, and we are futher limited by the make up of our Brain chemistry, but no free will whatso ever?
    I mean if the rabbit hole is deep,is there a cliff notes you could offer?(lol)

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    Your gonna have to take me a little futher down that road Nate.
    I feel we are somewhat restricted in our ability to stray from certain instinctual impulses, and we are futher limited by the make up of our Brain chemistry, but no free will whatso ever?
    I mean if the rabbit hole is deep,is there a cliff notes you could offer?(lol)
    Nate discussed this in another thread. Sam Harris's Free Will would be a good place to start if you are interested. I personally think it's waaaaayyyyyy overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Yeah, Sam Harris is a good place to start with that. He touches on it in The Moral Compass, too. Free Will is just sort of expanding on what he wrote in Moral Compass.

It was a good thread, and I might drag it back up someday. I was out of town for an extended period of time and had some family stuff going on, so I kind of lost track of it all.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    I saw this days ago:

Dear Red States:

We’re ticked off at your Neanderthal attitudes and politics and we’ve decided we’re leaving.

We in the Blue States intend to form our own country .

In case you aren’t aware, that includes California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and the entire Northeast.

We believe this split will be beneficial to the nation and especially to the people of the new country of The Enlightened States of America (E.S.A).

To sum up briefly:

You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states.

We get stem cell research and the best beaches.

We get Andrew Cuomo and Elizabeth Warren. You get Bobby Jindal and Todd Akin.

We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.

We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.

We get Harvard. You get Ole’ Miss.

We get 85 percent of America’s venture capital and entrepreneurs. You get Alabama.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue. You get to make the red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition’s, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms.

With the Blue States in hand we will have firm control of 80% of the country’s fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation’s fresh fruit, 95% of America’s quality wines (you can serve French wines at state dinners) 90% of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the US low sulphur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools plus Stanford,Cal Tech and MIT.

With the Red States you will have to cope with 88% of all obese Americans and their projected health care costs, 92% of all US mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite National Park.

38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we’re discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a non-proven theory, 53% that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you believe you are people with higher morals then we lefties.

We’re taking the good weed too. You can have that crap they grow in Mexico.

Sincerely,

Citizens of the Enlightened States of America
    id like to hang this post on my wall and frame it.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011