Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Favorite 2013 Draft Prospect

Hey, it's never too early, right?!? Whether you're on board for tank nation or not, the thought for a while now is that the Magic will be in play for a very high pick. With the NCAA season starting, a lot of these prospects will start showing their worth. This season is a big rebuilding one, and many feel it will be the draft which ultimately makes or breaks this year. So why not start tracking things now?

The Near-Consensus Top-3

1. Shabazz Muhammed: He's my clear #1 right now, but I understand that opinion is going to be controversial. He's long, quick and athletic. He has great intangibles and seems to have a strong IQ. He's got a jump shot that can be devastating, though still needs some polish (doesn't have the same range Brad Beal was hyped to have, but I think his in the same position) He's got some questions defensively and might not be a LeBron/Harden-like playmaker, but he's great off the dribble, much like Durant. I know the value of big men in today's game, but a dominant offensive wing can help you get just as far. He doesn't have the glaring offensive or defensive weaknesses that some of the other top guys have.

2. Tyler Zeller: I might be bias because I'm now a Hoosiers fan (my sister goes there, and I'll be going to at least 4-5 games this year). He's bulked up but still has retained his amazing quickness and agility. He'll never be the defender Noel will be, but offensively he has tremendous upside. Great fundamentals, a nice mid range game and solid post skills. Can he bang with the bigger NBA centers in the NBA? That's my only hesitation.

3. Nerlens Noel: Has the potential to be a tremendous defender. He looked a little soft in his debut the other night, but his athleticism just jumps off the page. Offensively he's incredibly raw and I don't know if it will ever become more than that. He's got to bulk up a lot too, but I'm sure that's possible. He's not necessarily a leader worth writing home about. Zeller might not be a great defender, but I think he's less inept on that end than Noel is inept on offense.

The Other Top-of-the-Lottery Players

Here's Chad Ford's Big Board....

1. Nerlens Noel C
    2. Cody Zeller C
    3. Shabazz Muhammad SF
    4. James Michael McAdoo PF
    5. Alex Len C
    6. Tony Mitchell SF
    7. Isaiah Austin PF
    8. Alex Poythress SF
    9. Rudy Gobert PF
    10. Archie Goodwin SG
    11. Steven Adams C
    12. Drario Saric SF
    13. Otto Porter SF
    14. Adonis Thomas SF
    15. Anthony Bennett PF

I'm more intrigued by Austin and Adams than I am Len. I have no idea how Anthony Bennett crept up that high, but I'd imagine we won't be picking outside of the top 10 anyways.

I'm really interested in Gobert, and he might be #4 on my list right now. Saw him at Eurocamp 2012 and he stole the show on the last day. Tremendously athletic and long. He's got to bulk up a lot, but he has the frame to pull it off. If he can gain a nice 20 or so pounds of muscle he could be a freak. He's got a 7-9 wingspan. He might not enter the 2013 draft, but if he does it will be because he'll be a top pick, and if that's the case I'd be all for it. A good amount of risk here, but a ton of upside. Almost like him more than Noel.

McAdoo I do indeed think is the next best prospect. After that, I'd probably prefer Austin.

Any thoughts?

vCash
    Terrible draft. Serious, Zeller is weak rebounding, scores on the same Cherry picking layups. And he's not even the player Tyler Hansborough was.

Muhammed no ones seen.
    Noel, can block shots it seems, nothing more
    I'm sorry I hope we trade this pick to get a young nba player.

Best player I see is CJ McCollum. Or the academic dummy tony mitchell
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    Terrible draft. Serious, Zeller is weak rebounding, scores on the same Cherry picking layups. And he's not even the player Tyler Hansborough was.

Muhammed no ones seen.
    Noel, can block shots it seems, nothing more
    I'm sorry I hope we trade this pick to get a young nba player.

Best player I see is CJ McCollum. Or the academic dummy tony mitchell
    You're really underestimating Zeller's offensive game if you think he only scores by cherry picking layups. He has some tremendously polished post skills, probably the best in the country. Yes, he does get a lot of easy layups, but that's because he is quicker than most every other big man in the country. His rebounding isn't ever going to be elite, but it will be good enough. The Hansbrough comparison is a bit ridiculous. Tyler isn't as long, tall, strong and especially quick as Zeller is. Zeller is much more skilled, Hansbrough was always just a hustle and effort guy, Zeller has skill.

It is a weak draft, and it would be better to be this bad next year, because the 2014 draft could be the best in forever.

And you're overrating McCollum. I figured with your hatred towards Jameer you'd hate McCollum too. They're identical, minus the 3 inches of height. He's not a top 10 pick.

Shabazz, if he gets on the court, will prove to be the real deal. He's tremendous, but yes, I'd like to see a bit more of him on the court. He's my favorite though. Most upside on both sides of the ball.

There are very few young players I'd trade a top 3 pick for. Maybe something will come up, but I'd imagine Hennigan will be patient.

It will take a ton of patience, but I'm all for a two year tank job like OKC. Take Shabazz this year, don't bring in any max free agent this off-season, continue to develop Moe, Nik, Nicholson etc, get rid of all the bad contracts, and then hope to hit the real jackpot in the 2014 lottery. It's foolish to look that far ahead, but it's fun. Wiggins and Parker are STUDS.

vCash
    How am I overrating McCollum? Bc he's a d2 guy? Yeah w'll i said the same for Damian Lilliard and ppl already crowned him ROY. I laughed gilchrist went over him.

But Zeller is nothing. Dude can't even rebound. Take my chances on Gobert over him. Zeller will be another tall white guy to bust.
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    Noel is crap. Not even worth mentioning, WAY too raw. Another Thabeet that could take years to develop into a Ben Wallace or Tyson Chandler as a ceiling. Not worth it IMO.

I really like Shabazz but he's having his problems with violations so who knows when he'll play but I'd pick him first if I could. Not sure how he and Aflalo (who I really like) could work together but I'm very intrigued.

Zeller I'm on the fence about. I'm not sure how his game will translate to the pros but I'm not sold he won't be more than just a solid center. And by the way, it seems like we've said the past 2 years that the next draft could be the best since [insert year or even the word 'forever'] but it always disappoints. So I'd say focus on this year and get while the gettin's good.
    Magic. Red Sox. Colts. Knights.

vCash
    Doug McDermott is my favorite guy
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Noel is a bit more athletic, quick and limber than Thabeet. Thabeet was always just length, but Noel can move around a lot better. I think he'll at least be a Marcus Camby-lite in the NBA. He has NBA talent defense...it's the offense which will be a question.

But I do understand the Thabeet concerns. He is pretty much all defense at this point.
    Last edited by ManRam; 11-13-2012 at 04:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Doug McDermott is my favorite guy
    He's probably a late first, early second rounder at this point...

He just doesn't have NBA athleticism...like, even less than guys like Novak and way less than Korver.

vCash
    I've seen all I've needed too, Orlando is taking Alex Len. Young illgaukas. Lensanity in orlando

vCash
    Len isn't bad, but not projected to be a top 5 pick that I'm sure we'll get. He's still incredibly raw and unproven. He turns the ball over a lot too. He can eventually be pretty good, but to take him top 5 seems like a reach. I'll let the season play on but I'd be shocked if we grabbed him with a high pick. I'd rather go after Zeller who's at least more polished.
    Magic. Red Sox. Colts. Knights.

vCash
    Zeller is a scrub man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    He's probably a late first, early second rounder at this point...

He just doesn't have NBA athleticism...like, even less than guys like Novak and way less than Korver.
    That's where I'd like to take him is with our second first round pick. When Redick leaves, Dougie can take his spot as the spark off the bench. He shoots damn near 50% from three point arch. Guy is an incredible shooter.

He is far, FAR more athletic than Novak and Korver.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    Zeller is a scrub man.
    Zeller isn't a scrub. He's an offensive guy. He's like Brook Lopez
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Zeller isn't a scrub. He's an offensive guy. He's like Brook Lopez
    He's not quite as long as Brook, but he's much more quick and a bit more athletic.

Zeller isn't a scrub, he's just not an awe inspiring #1 overall pick.

I think McAdoo is going to skyrocket up people's boards. I could see him sneaking into the #1 pick.

As for Len, I'd rather have Noel (and his suspect offense), Gobert, Isaiah Austin, Poythress and Adams over him if we're looking at big men.
    Last edited by ManRam; 11-16-2012 at 09:45 AM.

vCash
    Zeller