Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Patriots Defense

Are we more likely to see an improved defense before the regular season ends or will it stay the same or get worst?

vCash
    I would definitely say improved with Talib coming this week. Our pass D is our biggest liability and he should be able to help it a lot. Our D looks better than last year--we have more pass rushing and our LBs are great. Some guys will be returning from injuries as well. Look for the defense to only get better from here on out
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2012

vCash
    With Talib covering opponents #2 and the Pats doubling the #1...The safeties are going to have to step up. There will likely be more opportunities in the middle of the field instead of the normal 25+ yrd long balls.

vCash
    I tell you regardless of the points and yards the Bills got, the secondary seemed to be:

1. in the right spot
    2. not committing stupid penalties
    3. tackling better and hitting harder.

We'll see if that adds up to actual results, but they didn't waste the time off.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    The Tackling was poor yesterday we all know BB teams are good tackling teams. Expect that to be resolved. Apart from that I think the D wasn't overly bad.
    VW75 seem to be hitting his peak now, getting more pressure up the middle. The first half we were getting pressure which died in the second half but I think the credit goes to buffalo for making the adjustments. If I remember correctly they allowed the least sacks last year.
    CJ95 will continue to improve.

As for the pass D

DMc32 has been playing like a top 10 CB this season

As long as talib learns the system in a few weeks and he doesn't chad Johnson it up...the CB position will be stronger.

Our weakness is in the middle, we have no coverage LB and our S play is bad.
    DH54 needs to improve his coverage on TE's.

The bills personnel always gives the pats problems...we have to play them in a nickel coverage most of the times which opens up their run game and then that leads to more problems...which you saw yesterday.

Let's wait and see how Talib settles in on D
    But MAINLY how the D plays next week vs the colts.
    Luck is a better passer and it will be a better judgement of this D

PSD's Aaron Dropson

vCash
    I don't see a whole lot of room for improvement outside of the secondary. The defensive line is solid and I don't see how they can play much better. A little more pressure from the outside maybe, but I'm not sure Ninkovich, Jones and Cunningham are suddenly going to turn it up a notch.

The linebackers have been solid all year, though they looked awful yesterday. They're still the most consistently productive unit and there's little to be worried about with them. Hightower had a rough game and didn't play a ton of snaps, but he'll bounce back. We were in nickel and dime a lot yesterday and they seemed to be splitting snaps in said formations.

The secondary is where improvement will come. I'd wish that we'll suddenly have a great pass rush, but I think that ship has sailed, and that won't make these guys' jobs any easier. The secondary wasn't brutal yesterday. Talbi figures to spell Arrington of a lot of snaps, and that can't possible be a bad thing. McCourty sticking in one position could help, and I'm fine with him at safety. There's still time to find the parts that work, and I do think they'll get a little better, but a lot of that does hinge on the front 7 stopping the run (they didn't yesterday) and getting a little more pressure than we have been.

Definitely room to improve. We shall see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I tell you regardless of the points and yards the Bills got, the secondary seemed to be:

1. in the right spot
    2. not committing stupid penalties
    3. tackling better and hitting harder.

We'll see if that adds up to actual results, but they didn't waste the time off.
    Yes, but we DESPERATELY need a playmaker who can break up passes and get picks week after week.

McCourty can play this role at FS (playing center field role), but we need a CB who can do this man-to-man.

Hope for Talib to be that kind of player. If not, we need to draft a playmaking CB in the first round of the draft.

vCash
    I feel like a lot of people in this forum are thinking that talib is going to be shutdown but he hasn't been shut down since his rookie year i think. He will probably help but I'm not sure how substantial he will be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.awesome View Post
    I feel like a lot of people in this forum are thinking that talib is going to be shutdown but he hasn't been shut down since his rookie year i think. He will probably help but I'm not sure how substantial he will be
    Yeah. I'm really cautiously optimistic. At the very least he can't be worse than some guys we have, especially Arrington. But he hasn't been particularly good this year. I have a lot of Tampa Bay fans as friends, and he's drawn a lot of ire from them.

vCash
    I'm living the strides Cunningham is making, it's definitely encouraging. I don't think Talib is the answer, but we'll see...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    I don't see a whole lot of room for improvement outside of the secondary. The defensive line is solid and I don't see how they can play much better. A little more pressure from the outside maybe, but I'm not sure Ninkovich, Jones and Cunningham are suddenly going to turn it up a notch.

The linebackers have been solid all year, though they looked awful yesterday. They're still the most consistently productive unit and there's little to be worried about with them. Hightower had a rough game and didn't play a ton of snaps, but he'll bounce back. We were in nickel and dime a lot yesterday and they seemed to be splitting snaps in said formations.

The secondary is where improvement will come. I'd wish that we'll suddenly have a great pass rush, but I think that ship has sailed, and that won't make these guys' jobs any easier. The secondary wasn't brutal yesterday. Talbi figures to spell Arrington of a lot of snaps, and that can't possible be a bad thing. McCourty sticking in one position could help, and I'm fine with him at safety. There's still time to find the parts that work, and I do think they'll get a little better, but a lot of that does hinge on the front 7 stopping the run (they didn't yesterday) and getting a little more pressure than we have been.

In regards to the D-Line, I think the guys on the ends have been solid. I love what I've seen from Jones so far this year and Ninkovich and Cunningham have been solid at times as well. Overall, I'm satisfied with the production on the ends. Where I think we need to improve is with the pass rush up the middle. I know many will point to Wilfork's great game yesterday but that really was the first game in awhile where we've gotten a pass rush up the middle. Otherwise, it's mostly non existent. (PFF has Wilfork and Love in the bottom 10 of DTs in pass rushing productivity- meaning sacks, hits and hurries). The thing about a pass rush up the middle is it can really disrupt a QB. And while Wilfork is capable of turning in one of those types of games where he gets that push up the middle (like yesterday), I'm not sure that Love is which is why I think we need to see more of our own version of that NASCAR package with Jermaine in. Still, Wilfork needs to be more consistent. Anyways, thats where I feel the defensive line can improve. I'm pretty happy with the ends though.

As for the linebackers, they've been strong all year. And DH had actually been one of the better coverage linebackers in the league. Same with Mayo. The unit was poor yesterday but I think that was more the exception than the norm. Also, that was DH's first game back in awhile, so he was bound to have some rust. Hopefully next week that unit turns in a stronger performance.

As for the secondary, Dennard had a disappointing performance yesterday but other then that, has been very good this year. Arrington for once, wasn't awful but I wouldn't bet on that continuing. McCourty continues to be a stud back there, unfortunately he's still our best corner and he's forced to play safety because we have no capable safeties. It looks like McCourty may have to stay there simply because there are no other alternatives. Chung wasn't any good even when he was healthy and the rest of the safeties are either too young, not talented enough and just generally aren't good (with the exception of Gregory, who has been hurt for too long to be anything). But with the addition of Talib, our secondary has a great chance to improve. I think the thing people need to be encouraged by is that we have some real talent back there. Dennard, McCourty and Talib are all very talented. The rest? Eh. Tavon has flashed some nice ball hawking skills but he's still too young. Chung is not the answer. Still, this unit should be better.

I think the talent is there for the defense to be a much better unit going forward. We need to get the communication issues sorted and hope our safeties can at least be average and not blow their assignments. The other thing is we need to get more of a rush up the middle consistently.
    Last edited by PatsSoxKnicks; 11-12-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post

Mayo looked good to me. Hightower was coming back from injury, I wouldn't expect him to look so lost again. The Bills OL and WR and TE opened a lot of holes on the outside. It was more a failure of the scheme than the players on the runs outside.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    It will improve, especially with Talib replacing Arrington. BB defense's tend to get better as the season progresses.

vCash
    Is anyone else as huge a Brandon Spikes fan as I am?

This boy LIGHTS PEOPLE UP with his hits, 4 forced fumbles and a dominating run defense presence in the middle of the field.

Sure he makes stupid mistakes off the field, and that hit against Fitzpatrick wasn't the smartest, I value his hard playing style, it brings an intimidating element to our team, the look on Fred Jacksons face when he needed help was hilarious

vCash
    OK, starting now. Arrington goes from full time player to less then 10 snaps a game.

CB: Dennard/Talib/Cole

S: McCourty and Chung/Wilson splitting SS; Gregory goes from full time to les then 15 snaps a game.

One stud penetrating DT away from a top 10 D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast