Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Scratch Soto. He's signed. And it looks like Ludwick is returning to Cincy. The trouble is that you are not really talking about lower cost targets here, unless you mean lower than Upton, Bourn or Napoli. Victorino is looking for 3 years/$30 million. We should be able to afford that, especially if Sandy backloaded it. But so far they don't seem inclined to pursue anyone who costs that much. Hairston is still a possibility. We could probably get him for 2 years/$6-7 million, slightly backloaded. We don't seem to be pursuing him very aggressively, but that could be because Scott wants to gauge his value with other teams. I hope Sandy steps up when the time comes and gets him to ink a deal.

All we've heard mentioned so far is Miguel Olivo, who may not be as weak as Nickeas, but would not provide the right handed bat we need to complement, or hopefully replace, Thole. And they just mentioned that our people will meet with Cesar Izturis. We do need a utility infielder, but Izturis is an offensive downgrade from Cedeno, who did well for us last year, or from Ryan Theriot, who would be a good addition as well. Izturis, though, is strong defensively (could be a late inning replacement) and would be cheaper than any of the others mentioned.

Actually, I think (and fervently hope) that we will find our outfielders and catcher in the trade market this winter. I won't speculate on available outfielders, because we could get some quality young players in a trade for Dickey. But for catcher, both Saltalamacchia and Arencibia seem to be available, and either would be more than satisfactory.

For a few real lower cost targets, though, how about these non-tenders:

Derrick Robinson, a 25 yr old switch hitting center fielder who has middling minor league stats, but in 2008-2011 stole 62, 69, 50 & 55 bases. Ciould be used off the bench as a pinch runner and late inning defensive replacement.

Peter Moylan, who would probably accept an incentive laden contract, and if he is healthy could help bolster the bull pen.

Jair Jurjjens, who could also be signed to an incentive contract and who could make a major addition to the rotation if Dickey is taded.
    I would cream my pants if we could sign Jurjjens

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FmartMVP View Post
    I would cream my pants if we could sign Jurjjens
    And I would bring you a couple of tissues.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN So #SFGiants have Angel Pagan and Andres Torres. Ramon Ramirez is a free agent.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    AdamRubinESPN So #SFGiants have Angel Pagan and Andres Torres. Ramon Ramirez is a free agent.

At least until Sandy finds a way to spin bringing him back....

vCash
    That trade turned out to be phenomenal.

vCash
    Acosta signed with the Giants, but the ones that play in Japan.

The Acostalypse has hit another continent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Acosta signed with the Giants, but the ones that play in Japan.

The Acostalypse has hit another continent.
    I'd still want to wear a helmet whenever he pitches. He's been known to give up some really long home runs.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    FINALLY, Manny "Grand Slam" Acosta is a part of Mets trivia history. One of the biggest choke artist relief pitchers we've had in recent history.......

When a clutch hit was needed by the opposition, Manny obliged....

Rots of ruck in Japan......

Sayonara POS, er, sucker!......
    Last edited by Paulie6986; 12-14-2012 at 03:22 AM.

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    The Twins have agreed to terms with right-hander Mike Pelfrey, reports CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman (via Twitter).
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Good luck, Mike. You were pitching well for us before the injury.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    @AdamRubinESPN
    Can confirm @JonHeymanCBS report. Mike Pelfrey to #Twins. $4 million base and another $1.5M in incentives. Pending physical
    @AdamRubinESPN
    You can see why R.A. Dickey at $5M in 2013 is such a commodity. If Pelf hits his incentives, he can earn more than Dickey next season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    If Pelf hits his incentives, he can earn more than Dickey next season.
    Dear Sweet Geezus.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Crazy, huh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS #mets are scouring relief market. plenty of good options left, including ones who can close. (i.e. valverde, krod, capps)

vCash
    Yea, we're totally gonna get K-Rod AGAIN.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast