Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Controversial Dickey trade - Would you do it?

Would you send R.A. to the Bronx for their #1 catching prospect, Gary Sanchez, and Mark Montgomery, and possibly Ramon Flores or Slade Ashley?

Sanchez is probably 1 or 2 years away, but has great potential. Montgomery is a possible closer. Flores and Ashley are outfielders who could come up in 2014, although Ashley has some injury history, a la Reese Havens.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    If I were a Yankee fan, I don't know if I'd want Dickey. I don't know how he'd do in Yankee Stadium with the shot fences and all. I'm sur ehe'd still be very good, but not as dominant.

I don't want him going to the Yankees anyway, but if they win the WS because of him, we could then take credit.

vCash
    Also, with Jesus Montero no longer a Yankee, I think they'd want to keep Sanchez so they wouldn't need to keep signing some average guys like Martin or dish out the big bucks for a catcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Also, with Jesus Montero no longer a Yankee, I think they'd want to keep Sanchez so they wouldn't need to keep signing some average guys like Martin or dish out the big bucks for a catcher.
    But since Sanchez isn't ready to make the leap this year, they will have to sign somebody. Talk is they are interested in Napoli, which would probably require a multi year deal. Also, they need to fill in their rotation and since hitters don't make great contact with the knuckler, Dickey might do quite well in Yankee Stadium.

vCash
    But we've seen when the do make contact, it can get crushed, and the ball does not to be crushed in order to get out of Yankee Stadium, or Fenway, or Camden Yards.

vCash
    I LOVE THIS TRADE!!!!! YES!!!!!!

Any Met fan who wouldn't want this trade is blind beyond belief. Years ago we sign Dickey on the cheap when no one even thought about him and we can now turn him into Gary Sanchez?????? YEAH!!!!!!!! Pull the trigger now.

They're panicking in yankee land. Let's take advantage of it. Gary Sanchez can be catching for us for 10 years. DO IT!!!!!

vCash
    I think we could get a better deal. Sanchez has a ton of potential but still has a lot of time left before he can come up to the majors, let alone make an impact. We already have future closers in Mejia and Familia and don't need Montgomery and Flores and Ashley, in my opinion, are just throw ins.

I'd rather deal for a more major league ready player. Sanchez would be very nice to have, though, considering he hits for plus power and average.

vCash
    Very interesting proposal... If the Yankees due sign Napoli it would make it even more interesting... I think the Mets could get slightly more for dickey. I think if the mets deal him they are looking for 2 big time prospects especially if they are a few years away. One big time close to MLB prospect with others with upside I think would be their preference.

If this came up and was the best deal possible I would sign off on with hesitance.

The Yankees would also fear giving up their future starts to the Mets. They do need a pitcher but from a Yankees standpoint a knuckleballer pitching in the NL east bandbox stadium scares me. Even if its a superstar pitcher like dickey.

In the end I could see both teams making the deal if not for the cross town rival thing.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Honestly i don't want a catching prospect in return for Dickey unless it's D'Arnaud (if we are talking AL league catching prospects who are looking for a trade that could put them over the top)

To me it's more important to find an OF prospect like Marisnick or Olt and couple that with a pitching prospect or a major league catcher like Arencibia.

The Mets have potential closing arms in Familia, Mejia, and Edgin (not to mention a healthy variety of options when it comes to pitching depth down the line)

The guy is coming off a potential Cy Young season, he should be at least worth that much.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-12-2012 at 06:56 PM.

vCash
    Dickey should bring more MLB ready talent. An OF and C would be good.

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    only way I would trade Dickey is for major league ready prospects, i've seen to many of these guys a year or 2 away end up being busts.

We are talking about a Cy young candidate, lets use that.

plus, personally I never want to deal with the Yankees, i hate seeing our ex players elp them to win championships

vCash

Dont want Dickey

Arencibia plus Marisnick for Neise, Dickey has only 1 year contract left.

Really the Jays want Neise plus Murphy will offer Arencibia+ Marisnick+ Sierra + Stilson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jensan View Post
    Arencibia plus Marisnick for Neise, Dickey has only 1 year contract left.

Really the Jays want Neise plus Murphy will offer Arencibia+ Marisnick+ Sierra + Stilson
    No...

We will see who wants RA but that's not a feasible deal, we won't give up two quality SP and Murphy for Arencibia, Marisnick, Sierra and Stilson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I think we could get a better deal. Sanchez has a ton of potential but still has a lot of time left before he can come up to the majors, let alone make an impact. We already have future closers in Mejia and Familia and don't need Montgomery and Flores and Ashley, in my opinion, are just throw ins.

I'd rather deal for a more major league ready player. Sanchez would be very nice to have, though, considering he hits for plus power and average.
    True, we might get a better deal (more on that later) but Sanchez is rated the #2 catcher prospect in MLB after D'Arnaud, and his ETA is estimated at 2014. It might be a while before he makes an impact, but he could be here for a long, long time if he does make an impact.

And regarding a future closer, gimme a break. With all due respect, because I like both Familia and Mejia, the jury is still out on both until they solve their command issues. Montgomery has put up Craig Kimbrel numbers in the minors so far, actually better than Kimbrel because he doesn't walk as many. In his 2 minor league seasons his ERA is 1.65, WHIP 0.971 with 14.6 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9. If I'm building for the future, and I am, I'd do this deal without the OF throw in. I'd hang on to a C like Shoppach to tide me over and groom Sanchez for the long haul.

IMO, a better deal will be hard to find, but we might be able to swing one. Arencibia, Marisnick and Sean Nolin from Toronto would be in that category, since we'd be getting a good major league catcher and two prospects who should be ready some time this coming season. Shin-Soo Choo and Carlos Santana from Cleveland might be another, but although Santana has been rumored as available, it is only a rumor. Also in this category could be Josh Willingham, Aaron Hicks and B.J. Hermsen from the Twins. We'd be getting an impact OF bat, a future (2014) switch hitting outfielder with some pop and great speed, and a pitcher who could contribute this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmantrash View Post
    only way I would trade Dickey is for major league ready prospects, i've seen to many of these guys a year or 2 away end up being busts. We are talking about a Cy young candidate, lets use that.
    Yes, Sanchez or Montgomery could wind up being busts, but so could any major league ready prospect. How many kids looked like superstars in the minors, only to fizzle when they hit the bigs? Anyway, take a look at some of the alternative deals I outlined above and see if you like them any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmantrash View Post
    plus, personally I never want to deal with the Yankees, i hate seeing our ex players elp them to win championships.
    Listen, I hate the Yankees as much as anyone, probably more. But I would not mind in the least helping them win a championship in 2013 if the players we got back from them help us to win 2 or 3 championshipsd over the next 5 - 8 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast