Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Bears Are Still A Super Bowl Contender

I know last night's game sucked. But, assuming that Cutler's concussion issues don't linger past the next one or two games (not a guarantee, I know, but a fair assumption I think), they still are one of the few teams in the league that are best suited to contend for a Super Bowl.

Consider:

1) They have inarguably one of the best two or three defenses in the league, with an elite run defense, pass rush, and coverage ability. The Texans were the second highest scoring offense in the league going into last night's game and they scored a whopping 13 points.

2) They have a QB that can make plays on third down.

3) They have a receiving threat that can consistently win one on one match ups in critical moments on third down.

4) They have a deep running game that can protect a lead and win in short yardage situations.

All of these factors are critical to winning close tight games both at home and on the road, and the Bears are one of only two or three teams that have all of these abilities. The Giants are one, so are the Texans. Depending on how much you trust Vernon Davis and Alex Smith, the 49ers do as well.

The Falcons have a pedestrian running game, and their defense is strong but not elite. The Patriots offense is amazing but their defense is a joke. The Ravens are banged up as hell. The Packers have the best QB in football and great defense, but without Greg Jennings fully healthy their skill players don't really scare me.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, but nothing about last night's changed the optics of what the rest of hte season should look like, unless Cutler misses more than two or three games. One silver lining is that the offensive line had its best night in pass protection all year against a great pass rush.

Everyone calm down. Jason Campbell will be better with a full week of practice and those extra reps now might come in handy should Cutty go down again in the middle of a game in the post season.

OOTP TKO League Milwaukee Brewers 2010-2032:
    2011-1655, .549 Win %
    10 NL Central Titles, 2 Wild Card 12 Total Playoff Appearances
    1 World Series Title (2021)

Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.

-Malcolm Reynolds

vCash
    i agree our defense played great and the offense just needs to click, i think it is better that we havnt found our stride just yet because i would much rather have us find it when the playoffs are around the corner. I think with alshon back and a cutty comeback pt2 this bears squad will look pretty going into the playoffs. I wasn't the saddest guy last night because i got some sexy time with my gf very quickly after the game ended

vCash
    Can we give the line some love. BTW?

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Great thread.

And yes the offensive line was great last night... Carimi played very well minus a couple plays... But he bounced back in a very good way

Rochester Jeffersons

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Can we give the line some love. BTW?
    Ehh...maybe.

Houston wasn't particularly aggressive last night, and we had plenty of drives where the QB was heavily pressured with 3, 4, and 5 man rushes.

I'll give Webb some props as he seemed to be in more control of his body and didn't find himself overreaching/overextending. Otherwise, the game seemed kind of par for the course for us - not good, but we weren't awful as a unit.

NFC North: Leading the League in Stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Ehh...maybe.

Houston wasn't particularly aggressive last night, and we had plenty of drives where the QB was heavily pressured with 3, 4, and 5 man rushes.

I'll give Webb some props as he seemed to be in more control of his body and didn't find himself overreaching/overextending. Otherwise, the game seemed kind of par for the course for us - not good, but we weren't awful as a unit.
    Teams not being aggressive hasn't stopped mass murder before. I'm not saying they dominated, but against a very good D-line they were not the problem. If they can do that for us, we may not lose against anyone.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Teams not being aggressive hasn't stopped mass murder before. I'm not saying they dominated, but against a very good D-line they were not the problem. If they can do that for us, we may not lose against anyone.
    Don't disagree with you there. This OL from the start of the season just had to be good enough. They're almost at that point, and we're seeing better results because of it.

vCash
    Oline played great, WR and RB play ruined the game and that 6'7" wuss as well.

vCash
    A lot of good points Strife and I agree with you. I've thought this team was a Super Bowl contender since the Preseason and last night's loss doesn't change that one bit.

Eliminate the turnovers and we probably win the game. The offense simply has to execute better...the gameplan wasn't even that bad, they just missed on so many big play chances and left about 10-13 points out there.

vCash
    It's possible the bears will be in every game due to their defense, so they can win just about any game they play. That alone makes them a contender.

But, I don't think you can win it all on defense alone. The offense will have to find out how to put drives together and have some sort of flow. That simply has to happen for the bears to win it all this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    It's possible the bears will be in every game due to their defense, so they can win just about any game they play. That alone makes them a contender.

But, I don't think you can win it all on defense alone. The offense will have to find out how to put drives together and have some sort of flow. That simply has to happen for the bears to win it all this year.
    2000 Ravens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    2000 Ravens.
    But, this is 2012. Things are a bit different now. Teams will score points and the bears offense will have to score on offense to win at some point in the post season.

vCash
    But, this is 2012. Things are a bit different now. Teams will score points and the bears offense will have to score on offense to win at some point in the post season.
    Indeed, Sherlock.

But seriously, with the change in the passing rules and the results its had on the most recent Super Bowl champs, we'll definitely need to perform better than the 2000 Ravens offense.

But our offense is (at the very least) more talented and I believe and expect they will perform better.

vCash
    I didn't say we didn't have to score to win. I was just pointing out that it's happened in the past, and with how damn good our D has been in pass pro, ****...who knows.

I'd be much, much more comfortable when our O gets moving, though.

vCash

With some adjustments...

They can be... but some tweeks are needed. The O Tice is calling sucks. If it werent for BM, this team is in major trouble. BM can take over games, but Cutler is going to him way to much. Gotta spread it around. Bennett and Hester need to be used more in the slot. Forte is not producing the way he should. The TE position is a joke. Kellen Davis has no business starting. People ripped on Greg Olsen for his blocking.. well Davis is no better and has horrible hands. Thank Lovie for signing off on the Olsen trade. Horrible! Plus this empty backfield and no FB stuff has got to stop. We run so much better with a lead blocker out front. Its a joke not to have a legit FB on the roster. Yeah they call Rodriguez a FB, but hes the best pass catching TE on the roster.. and they have him at FB??? So... the O has to be worked out here. Perhaps when Alshon comes back they will have more balance.. but this constant Cutler to BM will hurt us. Come playoff time, BM will be doubled and Cutler will have to find someone else to throw to.

It would also help if Cutler worked on his mechanics a bit. He throws off his back foot wayyy to much. Plus he is in this rut where he is holding onto the ball way to long. This D is great... A SB caliber D no doubt.. but as we saw last night.. a good opposing D puts us in a hole quick. The O needs to get going quicker. We cant count on 4th quarter heroics much longer. Good teams will put us away.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast