Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Charles Barkley vs Kevin Garnett - Higher on the all time list?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charles Barkley

    16 80.00%
  • Kevin Garnett

    4 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HCA (Homecourt Advantage)
    Posts
    65,644
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    "because he played in a weak era where the shot clock didn't even exist and the game of basketball wasn't as developed as it is today; and he wouldn't even start in a college team in today's game." - most people
    Bad logic here. He still won 5 titles and dominated his era.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

    Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37,153
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    Why doesn't he belong in the top 50?
    Because he's not good compared to players in other eras.

    Guys like Marc Gasol and Al Horford would be top 50 players of all time if they played in the ****ing 40's. They'd probably shoot over 50% too since they'd be playing against guys like 6'4".

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HCA (Homecourt Advantage)
    Posts
    65,644
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Because he's not good compared to players in other eras.

    Guys like Marc Gasol and Al Horford would be top 50 players of all time if they played in the ****ing 40's. They'd probably shoot over 50% too since they'd be playing against guys like 6'4".
    Come on you can't believe this. It is like saying Paul Konerko would be the greatest baseball player ever had he played in the 20's.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

    Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37,153
    vCash
    1090
    That depends. Would Paul Konerko be facing the exact same quality pichters if he played in the 20s? If he was facing off against guys pitching 70 mph, he'd probably have better stats.

    I bring up guys like Gasol and Horford because I have no doubt they'd probably have the same success as Mikan did if they played against ****.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    937
    vCash
    1500
    Barkley on O and rebounding Garnett on D. Barkley wins

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,922
    vCash
    1500
    Sir Charles by a landslide.

    ahhh... the good ole days

    watch 4free here http://firstrownow.eu

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    170
    vCash
    1500
    Barkley all day

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HCA (Homecourt Advantage)
    Posts
    65,644
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    That depends. Would Paul Konerko be facing the exact same quality pichters if he played in the 20s? If he was facing off against guys pitching 70 mph, he'd probably have better stats.

    I bring up guys like Gasol and Horford because I have no doubt they'd probably have the same success as Mikan did if they played against ****.
    So you think Cy Young would be a nobody nowadays as well?
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

    Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37,153
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    So you think Cy Young would be a nobody nowadays as well?
    Depends on his performance. If he pitched like 70 MPH back then, he wouldn't survive in this league. If his pitch speed is similar to how toady's pitchers pitch, he'll still be a good player.

    I just know that Mikan wouldn't survive in the 2000's considering his performances sucked enough as it is during a weak era.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,975
    vCash
    1500
    I didn't realize that when determining whether or not a player was one of the best all time in his sport that you had to factor in time travel and whether or not that player would do well in other eras.

    I have to re-think my entire sports argument life now.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37,153
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Rentzias View Post
    I didn't realize that when determining whether or not a player was one of the best all time in his sport that you had to factor in time travel and whether or not that player would do well in other eras.

    I have to re-think my entire sports argument life now.
    You should.

    I mean it's kinda stupid to honour someone as a top 50 player in the sport when they wont even be that good if he played in a different era.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,975
    vCash
    1500
    Sports evolve in terms of gameplay, athletes, rules, equipment. The only time I would apply cross-era factoring is if a player's equally spans two significantly different eras.

    1970 NFL - One player 300 lbs or heavier.
    2010 NFL - 532 players over 300.

    That's two significantly different games.
    Last edited by Rentzias; 12-04-2012 at 12:47 PM.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HCA (Homecourt Advantage)
    Posts
    65,644
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rentzias View Post
    Sports evolve in terms of gameplay, athletes, rules, equipment. The only time I would apply cross-era factoring is if a player's equally spans two significantly different eras.

    1970 NFL - One player 300 lbs or heavier.
    2010 NFL - 532 players over 300.

    That's two significantly different games.
    Well that just means people eat a whole lot more nowadays than they did in the past and not just food but sweets.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

    Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37,153
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Rentzias View Post
    Sports evolve in terms of gameplay, athletes, rules, equipment. The only time I would apply cross-era factoring is if a player's equally spans two significantly different eras.

    1970 NFL - One player 300 lbs or heavier.
    2010 NFL - 532 players over 300.

    That's two significantly different games.
    That just means people include guys like Mikan (or whoever else played in weaker eras) in the top 50 for the sake of honouring him, even though everyone knows that player isn't even that good compared to today's athletes.


    When I do my top 50, I take into consideration talent and success. Mikan might have some success, but his talent wouldn't even be close to the top 200 all time in the NBA.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,975
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not gonna penalize a player for being ahead of his time in a weak era. I'm not speaking specifically to Mikan, but in general, and when you say you take "success" into consideration, then a player's domination of an era, regardless of the level of competition, should be taken into consideration.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •