Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Bynum Injury Thread (3/18/13 Update): Season-ending Surgery

Don't shoot the messenger... We're looking at another 1-2 months based on this press release.

Andrew Bynum Update

The Philadelphia 76ers continue to be cautious in projecting an on-court date for the return of Andrew Bynum, and are carefully listening to the team of medical professionals who are closely monitoring the healing of Bynum's knee.

In mid-September 2012, Bynum suffered a bone bruise of his right knee. He was examined at that time by Dr. David W. Altchek of New York's Hospital for Special Surgery, Bynum's longtime personal doctor who is acting as the lead orthopedist in caring for Andrew's knee. It was initially communicated to the Sixers that Bynum should refrain from basketball activity for a period of four weeks to allow the knee to heal. His knee was re-evaluated on October 22 by Dr. Altchek, who extended by an additional four weeks to November 19 the time for Andrew to refrain from basketball activity.

Andrew received a fresh MRI and was seen again by Dr. Altchek this past week on Monday, November 5.

At that evaluation, Dr. Altcheck extended Andrew's return date for a second time by an additional three weeks. However, in what the Sixers believe is an optimistic sign, Dr. Altchek also indicated that Andrew could immediately resume low impact exercise. Low impact exercise for a period of two weeks is to be followed by three weeks of conditioning on an anti-gravity treadmill. The doctors and the team will be closely watching how Bynum's knee responds during this five week regimen. Upon successful completion, Bynum is expected to be able to resume normal basketball activity.

If the current prognosis holds unchanged, Bynum would be cleared to resume normal basketball activity by approximately December 10. In addition, the team estimates that Bynum in turn will need an additional 1-4 weeks thereafter for conditioning, training and practice before being able to resume game play with significant minutes.

Tony DiLeo, the 76ers General Manager said, "We know that Sixers fans are eager to see Andrew Bynum play and shine in a 76ers uniform. We also know that no one is more eager to see Andrew play for the Sixers than Andrew himself. He fully realizes the key contribution he can make to the team. Hopefully, that day is coming soon."
    http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/andrew-bynum-update
    Last edited by sixer04fan; 02-23-2013 at 11:27 AM.

vCash
    So January until he's playing significant minutes.

Ironic that the sponsored link here is for women's dresses.

vCash
    i guess ill just have to get really excited for the new years game against the lakers....

100-1 odds thats his 1st game. lol.

gotta get tickets!

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Just continue playing like we have without him and we'll be fine. We aren't the only team dealing with the injury bug. The schedule is pretty favorable so if they are targeting mid-late December that's a good time for him to come back.

vCash
    "Injury bug".

I guess that's one way to put it...when you best player, one of the best in the East, has yet to step on the court and isn't expected to for two months.

Injury bug.

vCash
    Like I said...Out for the year. Bybum is all about himself. I could tell that on how he plays, which is lazy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barkley3406 View Post
    Like I said...Out for the year. Bybum is all about himself. I could tell that on how he plays, which is lazy!
    Good Lord, when do you go away. You are beyond horrible.

vCash
    Guys, c'mon. Don't buy the bone bruise nonsense. I'm sure it can take a large man time to heal from a bone bruise. But this "bone bruise" has probably been around for years....and is probably the longest lasting bone bruise in the history of humanity. He has a chronic condition of some sort with his knees. He is not an 82 game/season player. At best, we should hope he can give 65 games per year and at least have another 3-4 years of excellent play.

In Barkley3406's defense, Bynum's defense can appear to be a bit on the lazy side of things....so was Brand before he realized he was no longer an elite player and needed to find another way to contribute. Calling him Bybum this soon is a bit 700 level though. I am not the biggest Bynum fan in the world, either. I haven't written him off though. It was a calculated gamble trading for him. I wouldn't have moved Iggy for him, but I might have been wrong.
    Last edited by wannabGM; 11-12-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post
    When you go out of the way just to hate...no one takes you seriously.

vCash
    Ouch...Seems like the bone bruise was more serious than they are letting on.

vCash

November 12 Press Release - Bynum Update

Walking on a bone briuse at 7feet and 270lbs cant be easy

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    Though it should be easier after staying off it for (what will have been) about 7 months.

Starting to think my Thread about him was closed a wee bit prematurely last week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86:24293031
    This x1000

Given I'm 6' 180 and an ankle bone bruise kept me from golfing for two months I'm not surprised someone with a foot and 100lbs on my is taking this long.

All though saying 1-4 weeks for 'conditioning' seems week. Can't you rehab and condition at the same time?
    Coulson Lives

vCash

November 12 Press Release - Bynum Update

Hes not keeping himself out.... Drs havent cleared him, and the sixers want him completely pain free before he plays.

Its not an eric gordon situation

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Here's how it went down:

TRAINER: "So, Andrew...how ya feeling?"
    BYNUM: "Oh, man. Ya know... I'm really, I dunno, uncomfortable."
    TRAINER: "Still? Wow. 5 months for a bruise is unprecedented. That doesn't sound right."
    BYNUM: "Tell me about it. But as I say... It's uncomfortable. Almost to the point of being uneasy. Inconvenient even."
    TRAINER: "That sounds serious."
    BYNUM: "You said it. If we're not careful...this could turn into 'mild pain'. THEN where will we be?"
    TRAINER: "True. We don't want to rush it."
    BYNUM: "No. No we don't."
    TRAINER: "Ok...that settles it. Another 2 months and you should be good to go."
    BYNUM: "Or not."
    TRAINER: "Right."
    BYNUM: "Yeah. Hey. Is it still Hoagiefest down at Wawa?"

vCash
    The good: there is an actual timetable to when he'll be back
    The bad: Its almost midway through the season

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast