Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Honestly not sure on that. Don't know the exact costs associated on the different ways of oil extraction. I would think they wouldn't tap into the higher cost ones till they either have too, or the price was high enough to cover them.
    I know that they have known about oil shale since the 70s... but it was too expensive. I'm just guessing here but I believe the combination of the rise in price + the technology of fracking is what makes it oil shale a viable source. Before they were just oily rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    related:

Breaking Politics ‏@breakingpol

Bipartisan group of 18 Senators urge Obama to approve Keystone XL pipeline early in 2013 - @Reuters

vCash
    Hydraulic fracking? Didn't they do a documentary about that awhile back. Showing people ,living near these sites, where able to lite their tap water into blow torches? The massive use of water to frack was also a major concern if I remember right. Tons of environmental concerns were connected to this method of drilling.
    Last edited by WES445; 11-16-2012 at 07:18 PM.

vCash
    #1 the keystone pipeline has many many unresolved issues.The path of the pipeline was a concern, the safety of the pipeline was a concern and finally the fact that the oil was not intended to benefit U.S. supplies by one single drop.they are just pushing it to port for delivery, so the only benefit to us is making the pipeline and then living with any spillage issues.
    #2 while they have developed less toxic fraking fluids, the process is in and of itself detrimental.
    #3 all non renewable fuel sources are futile,its just spinning our wheels...

vCash
    As far as the Keystone Pipeline goes, I don't know why the fact that Nebraska (run by a GOP governor) asked for the president to have them consider an alternative route because of how close the planned route runs to a major aquifer.

The national GOP may not be interested in protecting the aquifer, but its funny how the GOP governor who lives in that state seems to care quite a bit. Just funny how that works...
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    As far as the Keystone Pipeline goes, I don't know why the fact that Nebraska (run by a GOP governor) asked for the president to have them consider an alternative route because of how close the planned route runs to a major aquifer.

The national GOP may not be interested in protecting the aquifer, but its funny how the GOP governor who lives in that state seems to care quite a bit. Just funny how that works...
    The republicans may have to take a close look at that governor loyalty to the party.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    The republicans may have to take a close look at that governor loyalty to the party.
    I just can't figure out why he hates freedom and apple pie.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash

you mean that possibly contaminating the ONLY resource on this planet less plentiful and more important than petroleum gives you pause?

Come on...even if the damn thing breaks and we contaminate the entire aquifer, theres enough water to take you and I into the Grave...who cares about future generations? They can drink that nastyass desalinated crap they got over in the Middle East, ask Patsfan how that stuff tastes....

vCash
    I just can't figure out why he hates freedom and apple pie.
    Some people

vCash

It would depend on how quicly the pipeline could be shut down in the event of a structural compromise (leak), and how the response plans and resources could be brought to bear to isolate any oil from the water source.

Small alterations from initial plans are not dealbreakers- these types of issue shave to be dealt with for all major infrastructure nodes, like roads, railways, airports, powerlines, hell, even sewage tratement/ water treatment [plants, power plants, etc.

I also find it amusing that people jump back and gasp when a member of the GOP has an environmental concern, as if the GOP headquarters is now going to have to take him out back and put him down.

vCash
    Wait a second. If we hav so much oil why do we even need this foreign Canadian stuff?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Wait a second. If we hav so much oil why do we even need this foreign Canadian stuff?
    Shale oil extraction (fracking is exploding (forgive the pun) in western PA, Ohio, and the northwest. Even so, we still import up to 25% of all of our oil from Canada. I'd rather import it from them than import it from Saudi Arabia or Venezuela. If we could increase canadian imports to alleviate demand from either of the other two countries I'd be happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    It would depend on how quicly the pipeline could be shut down in the event of a structural compromise (leak), and how the response plans and resources could be brought to bear to isolate any oil from the water source.

Small alterations from initial plans are not dealbreakers- these types of issue shave to be dealt with for all major infrastructure nodes, like roads, railways, airports, powerlines, hell, even sewage tratement/ water treatment [plants, power plants, etc.

I also find it amusing that people jump back and gasp when a member of the GOP has an environmental concern, as if the GOP headquarters is now going to have to take him out back and put him down.
    I agree on that it's quite annoying. Freedom and apple pie

Even more hilarious is that more on the left in the house and senate are coming on board with the pipeline
    Last edited by behindmydesk; 11-17-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    Shale oil extraction (fracking is exploding (forgive the pun) in western PA, Ohio, and the northwest. Even so, we still import up to 25% of all of our oil from Canada. I'd rather import it from them than import it from Saudi Arabia or Venezuela. If we could increase canadian imports to alleviate demand from either of the other two countries I'd be happy.
    I was just trying to be funny. As long as there is an outside observer making sure they don't BP it I 'm down with it.

To be honest I'm more concerned with the impact environmentally of fracking than I am the pipeline.

vCash

could be a variety of things, one there could a worry about how it will affect the water table levels for the farmers, could be that they are asking for a different route to affect different things.

Same thing happened close to me the farmers were concerned about the water table on an electric plant coming close. Turns out those fears were unfounded and it was fine. Got another farmer who has a different pipeline that goes directly threw his pipeline. He's republican as they come but it's a pain to negotiate and figure out proper crop damage. In the end he's had to negotiate 3 times in 10 years for various things with the pipeline in the end he usually comes out very good in the deal.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast