Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Josh McCown...come on down!!

Bears expected to bring in Josh McCown...concern for Cutler or just taking precautions?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...k-josh-mccown/

Abide!

vCash
    I think they did it to get a 3rd string qb on gamedays. Because say that Campbell went down, they didn't have anyone to back him up. I don't think it has anything to do with Cutler especially considering it was a concussion injury in which he has some amount of days to pass and not a physical ailment per se.

vCash
    Just taking precautions. If Campbell also gets hurt while/if Cutler is recovering, we're gonna need a 3rd stringer that isn't Caleb Hanie.

Population: Bears

vCash
    Maybe this is just me, but I really didn't think Campbell looked that good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    Eh, I'm willing to give him more than half a game where he came in cold in awful weather before I start judging his play.

vCash
    Other than being way too conservative on the last drive, I thought Campbell looked good for the most part.

vCash
    I was annoyed by the checkdowns, but I think he just didn't want to make a mistake.

He still looked a million times better than Hanie ever did. If he has to play next week, then he'll be fine with a full week of practice, but hopefully that doesn't happen and Jay's good to go.

vCash
    He played in 2nd half of a game against a SB contending team without getting practice reps with the 1st team most of, if not all of this season in awful weather. You can't expect a guy to just come in an turn it on like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    I was annoyed by the checkdowns, but I think he just didn't want to make a mistake.

He still looked a million times better than Hanie ever did. If he has to play next week, then he'll be fine with a full week of practice, but hopefully that doesn't happen and Jay's good to go.
    this

other than than tho, im fine with him as our starting qb for a week or two if need be.

i mean, its a backup qb role. they aren't supposed to be good. I'd say Campbell is probably a top 5 2nd stringer in the league

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis View Post
    Eh, I'm willing to give him more than half a game where he came in cold in awful weather before I start judging his play.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiBulls4Life View Post
    He played in 2nd half of a game against a SB contending team without getting practice reps with the 1st team most of, if not all of this season in awful weather. You can't expect a guy to just come in an turn it on like that.
    I might be alone in my thinking on this one, but isn't it the backup's job to be ready to come in in a situation like this? Yeah he didn't get much practice reps in the last week, but he should be prepared to come in regardless of the weather or prep time.

What makes me nervous was that he just looked scared. I understand why Washington fans didn't like him, he was too hesitant to throw the ball down field. If Jay goes down come playoff time, we need a guy that is actually willing to try to make a play, instead of just taking the easy short completion.

vCash
    I might be alone in my thinking on this one, but isn't it the backup's job to be ready to come in in a situation like this? Yeah he didn't get much practice reps in the last week, but he should be prepared to come in regardless of the weather or prep time.

What makes me nervous was that he just looked scared. I understand why Washington fans didn't like him, he was too hesitant to throw the ball down field. If Jay goes down come playoff time, we need a guy that is actually willing to try to make a play, instead of just taking the easy short completion.
    I agree with the checkdown stuff (which we were told about when he was signed, by Oakland and Washington fans) but the problem is that whenever a starting QB gets knocked out of a in playoff time it is going to be difficult to win regardless what team you have. A backup QB will never get practice reps with first teamers much cuz why take away reps from your starting QB going into each week?

vCash
    Jason Campbell is the Anti-Rex Grossman:

Huge ****ing arm, physical, smart QB who wants to cumdrizzle as opposed to cumsling.

NFC North: Leading the League in Stupid.

vCash

No, I definitely understand your point that ideally your backup QB should be able to come right in and not miss a beat.

But I also understand what a backup QB does all week leading up to games, and it's really hard to gauge a guy's performance off of 1 half. All week he's preparing the #1 D, throwing the ball where he's told to throw ball (not always to the 'right' guy or 'open' guy). The preparation a backup QB goes through is not the same as he would if he goes into the week as a starter.

Like I said before, Campbell has a decent track record of being a capable NFL starter recently. I think if he has a week to prepare as the Bears' #1, he'll definitely look more polished than he did last night.

vCash

Campbell

I also understand bad weather, tough team, and only 1 half...but I saw check downs as if that were his only choice. he made a throw to Forte when the defender was standing right in front of him. Campbell just automatically threw there without even thinking or looking. Then, when NBC would show the replays their were multiple times where the bears had wide open receivers. Just not sure...

vCash
    Fun fact from Laurence Holmes on 670:

Earl Bennett would have been the emergency QB if Campbell would have gone done as well yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast