Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Next Years Draft

I've been saying this for years!! But with the first round pick next year. We should take a running back!!! If we could get a really good running back to go with Luck it would be perfect!!. If we don't go running back I would like us to go WR!!. We do need help on defense but I feel like we can either go get some free agent's or draft in later rounds.

Thoughts??

vCash
    I disagree, it wouldnt be the first time we selected a RB in the first round lately (Brown, Addai). We wont be picking high if we make the playoffs. The top of the RB class will already be drafted, and you can find equal or better talent in the second on most drafts (Unless there is a Trent Richardson, but then we would have to be at the top of the draft) Im not as opposed to drafting a RB in the first as some of the others might be, its just not the year next year. Most of our holes are on the defense, our offense is coming along nicely.

Heres a different idea... since we have so much money coming off the books next year, why not pay an already established RB? Someone we wont have to develop that can come in and make an immediate impact.

Then we can save our first rounder for the o-line, so we actually have a better running game, or the defense.

"In my eyes, life is likened to christian ideology... its molded into three parts best described by the divine comedy; inferno, purgatorio and paradiso. You can live it in self loathing and pity, obscurity and ambiguity, or with beauty and elegance. Does that make the ideology truth? no, it makes it an irrelevent metaphor." ;p

vCash
    It wasn't until Edge left that we won a Superbowl...don't get me wrong I loved Edge but remember we could have taken Champ Baily with that pick and still had a #1 CB while Edge has been out of the league since 09, gone from here since 06, and never averaged over 4 a carry after he left us. I can't think of a great RB that has won a SB since Emmit Smith. Not LT, not AP, not Sanders, not Thurman Thomas, I guess you could bring up Jamal Lewis maybe? RB has the shortest NFL lifespan of any position as well as one of the highest 2nd contract demands outside of QB, hence why great RB's most times hurt the rest of their team with high salaries and their high level of injuries. Unless you have Barry Sanders he will not be effective without blocking either....build your line and you will end up with at the very least a good rusher.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have a good running game to close out wins...but Ballard, Brown, and Carter are becoming a very effective trio at the fraction of a 1st round pick's (unless he turns out to be a bust) 2nd contract. Look at 1st round running backs and there are just as many undrafted and late round starters in the league playing at an elite level...quite a few 1st round backs turn out to be busts and are a huge gamble for usually under 10 years of elite play. There is a reason that the league is going with fewer bell cow backs and more role orientated split backfields. It is cheaper, just as effective in many cases, and you are still OK if one goes down.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 11-12-2012 at 08:34 AM.

vCash
    I argree with these guys are skill positions are set, lets work on our defense and our offensive line. Ballard looks like he couls be a quality back. Our defense is rebuilding right now we need to plug some true 3-4 guys in via free agency and draft im sick of making crap qb's look descent ie weeden, and gabbert wait til tom brady next week your gonna see how bad are defense really is.

vCash
    Yeah I like the idea of us getting an established running back. We do have a lot of money that's coming off the books. What poasible free agents are there at running back??

What possible defensive free agents are there as well??

vCash
    ^As of right now Felix Jones may be the best option, but the bad news there is that he may be playing his way to a re-sign in Dal. I would like to add a home run hitter to our backfield with some game changing speed....maybe take the fastest back left in the late rounds?

MJD and Reggie Bush will be some big names possibly as well...but IMO they would cost too much even with our huge amount of free money.

I said in an earlier draft thread I thought that the player we took was going to be 300+ lbs no matter if he plays offense and D, and I still think that is where we will go...but I'm starting to wonder if where we pick the top S in the draft is going to be an option as well?
    Last edited by matthollabak; 11-12-2012 at 09:46 AM.

vCash
    We are gonna be picking somewhere near the 20's I think. I'm going off the fact that we can make the playoffs!! But still if we added MJD from free agency, drafted a CB in the 1st a OL in the 2nd and maybe try to steal a WR in the 3rd round we would be sooooo gooood!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtirado16 View Post
    We are gonna be picking somewhere near the 20's I think. I'm going off the fact that we can make the playoffs!! But still if we added MJD from free agency, drafted a CB in the 1st a OL in the 2nd and maybe try to steal a WR in the 3rd round we would be sooooo gooood!!!
    Right now we will most likely have Davis, Butler, Vaughn, and Powers (maybe) going into next year at CB so no reason to add another 1st round pick at that position...plus we have no 2nd round pick due to the Davis trade.

I think we sign a FA O lineman or 2, draft one in the first (unless a S is there or a surprise like Te'o/a big time OLB pas rusher/NT surprisingly drops to us), and use the rest of the draft for the D. Personally I would like to trade down and grab extra picks and still possibly grab the best G in the draft.

vCash
    I absolutely, 100% diasgree. I can see WR, but...meh. I'm all for a safe, boring first round pick this year.

And...here...we...go...

vCash
    Top flight rbs are an afterthought in the NFL, so completely disagree.

vCash
    I'm sold on Ballard. I'd rather spend our 1st pick on Oline or Defense.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Oline should be the pick unless we sign a few. Otherwise id want a true 3-4 DE S,LB or yes a RB, We need more talent at the position than we have but like I said that is all predicated on what FAs we sign/lose.

Lucks on our side

vCash

Next Years Draft

I've said this in an earlier thread, the Colts couldn't go wrong if the drafted anyone not. QB, TE, or P in the first round. The Colts need talent and depth at almost every position.

As of right now, Robert Woods stock is falling. If the Colts could get him then I'd draft WR and build Luck's weapons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtirado16 View Post
    they traded the 2nd rd pick away, they'll likely go best plyer available with the emphasis on defense unless there does happen to be a good O-lineman. They do have a lot of money coming off nxt season so they have options as far as signig FA's go. What they don't get from the draft they may be able to get in FA. I really think since they drafted so many offensive that Pagano is going to get busy on the D he wants in indy. I agree that we need a ground game and that it would be beneficial to Luck. I like the thought of Defenses having to prep for an RB and QB that can score, not to mention how all that can open the passing game for Luck as well. This team looks good sometimes but all of us know they're realisticly a few good players and a couple years away from being a legit SB threat. I want them to go to the playoffs because that is valuable experience for a young team. I think if they go to denver they will learn a lot!

vCash
    I think that it is clear our first round pick should be spent on a offensive lineman. Since we will probably be picking in the 20-25 range I think it is a great place to find a guard or center. Two guys from Alabama are the top of the list, Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones. Jones would be a more versitile pck because he has played C,G,T but i think to line him up as Lucks long time center makes great sense. He is academic all american so he would be able to communicate effectively with the rest of the line.

I would love to see us take Stephan Taylor RB from Stanford with the 3rd pick. He is a great runner and effective out of the passing game, plus the Stanford connection is a nice compliment. As for defense we need basically every position so that would be a welcome pick as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast