Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

This just in: Salfino retracts "Mets Are Broke" story

In an update to a story in amazinavenue.com about the claim that the Wilpons are broke, they just printed the following:

Update: Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal just tweeted: Writer tweeted about Mets' finances is not a WSJ employee. That did not go through us, nor is it in our paper. And also: That's not an attempt to discredit what he wrote. Just clarifying some apparent confusion as to whether it's something we reported.

And the cherry on top. Michael Salfino retracted his comments with a series of tweets, most damnably the one that said "I have no knowledge of the Mets financial situation other than hearsay."

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2012/11/...thin-two-years
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Lol what a ****ing baffoon. He just wanted attention

vCash
    .....but the Mets are still broke.

vCash
    Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Report makes no sense.

Why would they state in public that they were going to begin working on a deal for Wright immediately after the season ended if they know they can't do it?
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Report makes no sense.

Why would they state in public that they were going to begin working on a deal for Wright immediately after the season ended if they know they can't do it?
    It can't be out there in the open that the Wilpons are completely broke and Bud Selig is sitting on his *** doing nothing about it.

They aren't "paper millionaires" either but in the context of owning a big market major league franchise they are broke.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-12-2012 at 03:55 AM.

vCash
    We would have known from a lot of people if the Mets were in serious trouble like this guy says. Some guy on twitter is not going to break this news.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    We would have known from a lot of people if the Mets were in serious trouble like this guy says. Some guy on twitter is not going to break this news.
    Yeah.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Report makes no sense.

As a ruse? That's what broke people do. They pretend they have money.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Funny.. is it April 1st already?
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Report makes no sense.

They are broke in terms of funding a baseball team, for all intents and purposes, they're broke. They've been begging for money for 2 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Lol what a ****ing baffoon. He just wanted attention
    I'll bet dollars to donuts that the situation is worse than the Coupons are making it.

I've advised you before, don't expect this team to start spending money in FA, it is not going to.

vCash
    The only obvious thing that happens after 2014 is they need to begin paying their Madoff judgment. I can't think of anything else that would threaten their control of SNY at that time. SNY is not losing money, so SNY should not have any difficulty refinancing it's own debt.

So we're talking here about a payment in 2015, the first year, of maybe $30-$35M. It's certainly plausible that the Wilpons don't know yet where that money is going to come from, but I think it's premature to say they won't be able to come up with it in that time. Their annual share of SNY profits alone is reportedly more than that, no one knows what commercial real estate will do over the next two years, and heck even the Mets could turn a profit by then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I'll bet dollars to donuts that the situation is worse than the Coupons are making it.

I've advised you before, don't expect this team to start spending money in FA, it is not going to.
    Sure, I don't agree with everything you say. Yet this might be the most enlightened thing you have ever said. There are plenty of us who believe it, for different reasons of course. But at this point there is nothing that would dictate that the Mets are in a position to be top spenders in FA, or other large contracts, for the next few years. Let alone right now.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 11-14-2012 at 06:18 PM.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    Sure, I don't agree with everything you say. Yet this might be the most enlightened thing you have ever said. There are plenty of us who believe it, for different reasons of course. But at this point there is nothing that would dictate that the Mets are in a position to be top spenders in FA, or other large contracts, for the next few years. Let alone right now.
    Let's forget about the next few years. It's too hard to forsee that far ahead. With Santana and most of Bay's money off the books, however, they could be players for the right free agents if they chose to go in that direction.

This year, though, assuming they originally had about $5 million to spend, by deferring $15 million of Bay's salary into 2014 & 2015, they could have a spending budget of about $20 million for free agents and trade acquisitions. Under those conditions, they will not and should not be top spenders or go for large contracts. They need to fill too many holes.

They could still target several reasonably priced, quality ball players. Think resigning Hairston to a multi year deal, signing Melky Cabrera, or Juan Pierre, or trading for Josh Willingham or Shin-Soo Choo. There are a few relievers out there who could sign reasonable contracts too.

I can't wait to see what direction Alderson takes this team in the next few months.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    I find it unfathamable that a business owner would try not lose a very large amount of money.

Everyone whines and complains about them not spending money. You know what they did in the past and lost money. Alot of those contracts were still be paid long after the fans jumped ship and the owners were losing way to much money. They are trying to patch things together and stay competitive will also trying to rebuild. It is not easy to find a happy medium of both with such finkle fans.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast