Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Who Will Win?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chiefs

    7 36.84%
  • Steelers

    12 63.16%
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 376 to 382 of 382
  1. #376
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Duluth, GA
    Posts
    3,272
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    And writers in Jacksonville rave about Gabbert's improvement.
    I'd hope so, because Blaine Gabbert has a lot more to improve than Ben Roethlisberger ever did.


    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I have eyes. I don't need writers to tell me what to think.
    I have eyes too, and that sportswriter simply reaffirmed what my eyes have told me.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

    -Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

  2. #377
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    behnke's bed
    Posts
    83,629
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    I'd hope so, because Blaine Gabbert has a lot more to improve than Ben Roethlisberger ever did.




    I have eyes too, and that sportswriter simply reaffirmed what my eyes have told me.
    I've never denied he hasn't improved. You guys just attached that to me. He's still not as efficient or effective as the "Big 3/4" in terms of read progression passing.

    At least not Peyton/Tom/Brees. Maybe Rodgers. He's not the greatest progression passer.

    You and ring keep telling me my rankings are wrong. I have him 5, maybe 6. I said nothing else in the recent past. I haven't seen anyone else say much either.

  3. #378
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,618
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I've never denied he hasn't improved. You guys just attached that to me. He's still not as efficient or effective as the "Big 3/4" in terms of read progression passing.

    At least not Peyton/Tom/Brees. Maybe Rodgers. He's not the greatest progression passer.

    You and ring keep telling me my rankings are wrong. I have him 5, maybe 6. I said nothing else in the recent past. I haven't seen anyone else say much either.
    I only said that once and when you pointed it out, admitted my mistake and said "rate" is a better term. Because none of us Steelers fan compared his reading and decision making to that of the Big Four, we just responded to you saying "he's not a timing QB."

  4. #379
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Duluth, GA
    Posts
    3,272
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ring91013144043 View Post
    I only said that once and when you pointed it out, admitted my mistake and said "rate" is a better term. Because none of us Steelers fan compared his reading and decision making to that of the Big Four, we just responded to you saying "he's not a timing QB."
    A lot of people forget just how raw Roethlisberger was coming out of college. He'd only played QB for four years of his life prior to being drafted (his senior year of high school plus three years of college). He was bound to have a longer learning curve simply because he still hadn't mastered all the nuances of the position by the time he got to the NFL. He wasn't in the position of, say, Andrew Luck, who's played QB since his Pop Warner days, and pretty much mastered the position by the time he was a senior in college. But he had tremendous upside nonetheless, which is why he was a first-round draft pick in the first place. He was basically in the same situation coming out of college that Tony Romo was, except he ended up in a good learning environment, unlike Romo.

    This is why Bill Cowher and Ken Whisenhunt started him off slowly, limiting his pass attempts. The good news was that they taught him well in the three seasons they had with him. Unfortunately, Bruce Arians became the offensive coordinator and told Roethlisberger that he didn't need to change anything about his playing style, even though it was obvious that he needed to be coached out of holding the ball too long. Of course, part of the reason why he held the ball so long is because most of Arians' plays took (and still take) forever to develop, and he had very few checkdowns to boot, so the ball was held a long time by design. In short, Arians basically arrested Roethlisberger's development, which is why most Steeler fans thank God for Todd Haley, who has already had an obvious, positive impact on his playing style.

    Not every QB has a career trajectory resembling a bell curve. John Elway stagnated in the middle of his career. Drew Brees was never considered "elite" until he turned 30. Rich Gannon got better with age, making his first Pro Bowl appearance when he was 34, and leading the Raiders to Super Bowl XXXVII when he was 37. Like all of them, Roethlisberger is going to be a better QB in his 30's than he was in his 20's. Furthermore, it was gurus of offense who brought out the best in each of those other QBs. Mike Shanahan coached up Elway; Jon Gruden coached up Gannon, and Sean Payton coached up Brees. Now, Todd Haley has begun to coach up Roethlisberger.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

    -Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

  5. #380
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    behnke's bed
    Posts
    83,629
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    A lot of people forget just how raw Roethlisberger was coming out of college. He'd only played QB for four years of his life prior to being drafted (his senior year of high school plus three years of college). He was bound to have a longer learning curve simply because he still hadn't mastered all the nuances of the position by the time he got to the NFL. He wasn't in the position of, say, Andrew Luck, who's played QB since his Pop Warner days, and pretty much mastered the position by the time he was a senior in college. But he had tremendous upside nonetheless, which is why he was a first-round draft pick in the first place. He was basically in the same situation coming out of college that Tony Romo was, except he ended up in a good learning environment, unlike Romo.

    This is why Bill Cowher and Ken Whisenhunt started him off slowly, limiting his pass attempts. The good news was that they taught him well in the three seasons they had with him. Unfortunately, Bruce Arians became the offensive coordinator and told Roethlisberger that he didn't need to change anything about his playing style, even though it was obvious that he needed to be coached out of holding the ball too long. Of course, part of the reason why he held the ball so long is because most of Arians' plays took (and still take) forever to develop, and he had very few checkdowns to boot, so the ball was held a long time by design. In short, Arians basically arrested Roethlisberger's development, which is why most Steeler fans thank God for Todd Haley, who has already had an obvious, positive impact on his playing style.

    Not every QB has a career trajectory resembling a bell curve. John Elway stagnated in the middle of his career. Drew Brees was never considered "elite" until he turned 30. Rich Gannon got better with age, making his first Pro Bowl appearance when he was 34, and leading the Raiders to Super Bowl XXXVII when he was 37. Like all of them, Roethlisberger is going to be a better QB in his 30's than he was in his 20's. Furthermore, it was gurus of offense who brought out the best in each of those other QBs. Mike Shanahan coached up Elway; Jon Gruden coached up Gannon, and Sean Payton coached up Brees. Now, Todd Haley has begun to coach up Roethlisberger.
    You're nearing Alpha Dog territory.

  6. #381
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Duluth, GA
    Posts
    3,272
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    You're nearing Alpha Dog territory.
    Then please explain to me why he was considered the most raw of the QBs in the 2004 draft.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

    -Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

  7. #382
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    behnke's bed
    Posts
    83,629
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Then please explain to me why he was considered the most raw of the QBs in the 2004 draft.
    The entire draft?

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •