Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scopepts View Post
    I know about 5-10 posters in here saying the same thing read around and you will see... CCUgrad Cough Cough
    Glad I can be of service scopepts!! The only thing Rex has done different than Mangini and Edwards is get the Jets to the AFC Title game 2 years in a row. Herm Edwards can at least say he won a division title and Mangini and Edwards went 8-8, 9-7, or 10-6 in their tenures with the Jets.

More than likely we aren't making the playoffs this year and in year 1, if not for two teams basically "laying down" for us at the end with their playoff berths already locked up, Rex Ryan would have missed the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. Yet Jets fans think he is a "god!" The offense has little talent, the defense has regressed mightily, and at least lately, even the great Mike Westhoff's Special Teams has gone South.

Say what you will about Edwards and Mangini, at least they didn't BS us all to death with fake bravado and fake headlines.

If you want a good example of how "good coaching" can change a team, look no further than the San Francisco 49ers, who went 6-10, 7-9, and 8-8 from 2008-2010. Now, they are arguably one of the top 3 or 4 teams in Pro Football. Yet, their QB is the same as it was during those years; their RB is the same; their top WR is the same; TE same; Defensive core is basically the same. So what has changed? Good coaching due to Jim Harbaugh and his staff, who have gotten the most out of Alex Smith, who turned the defense into a defense like what Rex had when he first got here; took players like Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and got them to play as a unit and do things well.
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan...what's the difference? We had his brother as DC and he sucked badly and Al Davis was still considering him as a HC. I want both our teams to improve because we used to play some pretty tough games against each other and I love it whenever you beat the Patsies. It's almost like having an extra holiday. Being a Raider fan since forever...I feel your pain. Good luck this weekend.

vCash
    Rex lost the team again, after he said that wouldn't be the case.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Word is that Tranny hired him over Bill Callahan because he gave a great interview.

I remember the last time a team hired a coach based on a great interview. His name was Art Howe, and the Mets lived to regret that decision too.
    Actually, you don't have to go back that far - Rex had a great interview.
    I read that Rex wanted Sparano.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    Actually, you don't have to go back that far - Rex had a great interview.
    I read that Rex wanted Sparano.
    Not true. Rex wanted an OC who would help with his vision of a ground and pound offense. Tanny hired Sparano and told Rex that he was the best fit with Rex's vision. From all accounts of the situation, Rex had no say in who was hired to be the OC.

Rex himself has said when asked about Sparano that he hated him, but is planning to make this work.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    I think Rex is a good coach, he just needs to understand better sometimes that the offence is his responsibility too.

I know he knows that intellectually, but watch him when he's interviewed. If the defence plays bad you can see it hurts him, and he's angry, and he will be very strong about what will be done to correct it. When the offence struggles he just seems to be less connected and rely on platitudes and "we're trying our best" sort of statements.

He also needs to understand better he cant be mates with people at the same time as being the boss sometimes. All of the different people coming out rubbishing their teammates right now is embarrassing. Your coach shouldnt let them happen.

When it happens two seasons in a row... you have a real problem.

vCash
    Not true. Rex wanted an OC who would help with his vision of a ground and pound offense. Tanny hired Sparano and told Rex that he was the best fit with Rex's vision. From all accounts of the situation, Rex had no say in who was hired to be the OC.

Rex himself has said when asked about Sparano that he hated him, but is planning to make this work.
    Like I said weeks ago, you took that one statement without the remaining context - see below from his entire quote that I read that led me to believe he was Rex' guy:

After their postgame handshake, Ryan said of Sparano, “I don’t like this dude.” But while he didn’t like coaching against him, Ryan knows that the kind of coach he doesn’t like coaching against is exactly the kind of offensive coordinator he wants on his staff. So when Sparano was fired last season as the Dolphins’ head coach, Ryan knew he wanted to hire him.

“After he became available,” Ryan said, “I’m like, ‘Oh, hell, yeah . . . that’s my guy.’”

vCash
    What do you expect, for him to publicly state that an O Line coach isn't the best selection for a OC in a league that is more pass orientated than ever before??

Rex has got to back his staff in public.

That isnt the same as saying that he picked Sprarano.

vCash
    Like I said weeks ago, you took that one statement without the remaining context - see below from his entire quote that I read that led me to believe he was Rex' guy:

After their postgame handshake, Ryan said of Sparano, “I don’t like this dude.” But while he didn’t like coaching against him, Ryan knows that the kind of coach he doesn’t like coaching against is exactly the kind of offensive coordinator he wants on his staff. So when Sparano was fired last season as the Dolphins’ head coach, Ryan knew he wanted to hire him.

“After he became available,” Ryan said, “I’m like, ‘Oh, hell, yeah . . . that’s my guy.’
    Talk about taking things out of context.

That quote by Rex was after he had no choice but to like Sparano.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange famous View Post
    What do you expect, for him to publicly state that an O Line coach isn't the best selection for a OC in a league that is more pass orientated than ever before??

Rex has got to back his staff in public.

That isnt the same as saying that he picked Sprarano.
    What the hell are you talking about???!!!

Sparano was most recently a head coach for 4 years. Come on, please refrain from the BS. You're better than that.

And how does that not read that he wanted Sparano? Are you reading English properly? Explain how that doesn't state that he wanted Sparano. I must be missing something.

vCash
    Talk about taking things out of context.

That quote by Rex was after he had no choice but to like Sparano.
    So it can't possibly be true. And you know the "real" truth. That's wonderful.

I give up. If I can't reason with you, that's it.

vCash
    1, It isn't Rex's job to employ the OC and DC

2, I expect him to support his guys in public, and he has done so.

He wasnt calling for the team to hire Sparano when it was still up in the air, he was saying "yes we got the right guy" after he had been offered the job.

vCash
    So it can't possibly be true. And you know the "real" truth. That's wonderful.

I give up. If I can't reason with you, that's it.
    You're so sure that your assessment is correct, and when I provide you with a counterpoint to your pollyana view of the Jets, you attack?

It''s probably a bad idea to be beligerant with the one person on this site you haven't already blocked or alienated.

I get that you think your responsiblity here is to see everything through rose colored glasses, but the team is 3-6, and looking like they are ready to fall apart. The offense is mostly to blame for that, and Sparano is as much a part of the problem as the limited talent on the roster.

-Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange famous View Post
    1, It isn't Rex's job to employ the OC and DC

2, I expect him to support his guys in public, and he has done so.

He wasnt calling for the team to hire Sparano when it was still up in the air, he was saying "yes we got the right guy" after he had been offered the job.
    This is the thing that I will never understand. A HC doesn't get to pick his coaching staff. I know if a Parcells or Belichick were told that they couldn't hire their own guys, they would tell the GM where to stick his job.

Rex had an OC for 3 years that he didn't really want. Now once Shotty was let go, it makes no sense to me that Rex wasn't the one interviewing and hiring his new OC. Then on top of that, Cavanaugh (who has done nothing to coach up Sanchez) is kept on as the QB coach.

Once again...this falls on the GM, but as someone who manages people in my job, if my manager was forcing me to employ people who were negatively impacting my performance, I'd tell him that I won't work with my hands tied behind my back. Then I'd go find another job. I wonder if Rex is planning his exit strategy.

-Sun Tzu

vCash
    I think thats the difference between a good coach (Rex) and a great leader (Parcells)

Whatever precedents or structures are in place, a true leader will take charge through the force of their personality. But there are 2 or 3 of those guys coaching at any given time. We dont have one.

That doesnt change the fact that Rex is an excellent defensive tactician and a big personality.

I just think you need a tactically stong OC next to him, and he needs to get tougher with some of the players.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast