Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Without giving any credence to the report based on an anonymous source (lol, and the guy even said "trust me!"), the Wilpons could indeed make such a statement to avoid showing their real hand.

Besides, "Begin working on a deal" means nothing. "Begin working on a deal" could be something as mundane as Sandy opening up a new folder titled "Wright 2013 Deal" in his Microsoft Word document library.

"Ok, now I've officially started working on that deal! Tomorrow I'll have my secretary call David's people to get a sense of his schedule and whereabouts over the next few months."

Ho hum.
    To clarify my previous remark, it wasn't "start talking." I'm pretty sure they've been saying things such as "We intend to sign him" and "we want to sign him as fast as possible", etc.

It would be a boneheaded thing for them to say if they had no intention of following through. I guess you might get a couple extra season ticket sales in the mean time, but if/when they failed to sign him, they would take the heat even more than they might have normally.

If they really intended to trade him, I would've suspected Sandy to be acting similar to the way he did with Reyes, basically softening the blow by explaining that it might not happen.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Lock this baby up, it's not true(good or bad?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayman Fan View Post
    95 percent of people who say "trust me" are lying...LOL...kinda like "its not about money"...
    ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!!
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    If they were so broke they could have declined the options on both Dickey and Wright.
    The situation isn't that dire.
    Not necessarily. They have to keep up the illusion that all is well, or rather not as bad as people think. Failing to pick up options would have caused a media firestorm and the fan base would have gone ape. It would have been IMPOSSIBLE to claim that they were still credible owners without doing so.

Picking up these options was a 100% cert.

Man, I don't know why you keep believing in these creeps.

vCash
    Funny how they were going to get these deals done quickly, what happened to that?

Same old same old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Funny how they were going to get these deals done quickly, what happened to that?

Same old same old.
    As negative as you are I'm starting to think its more realism. They stated deals would be done by the start of the World Series.... Hmmm the World Series wrapped up weeks ago and nothing. I kinda hope this story is true. Get the Wilpons out of here. Seeing what the dodgers have been spending makes me realize they have no desire to win. Have the dodgers been spending unnecessarily??? yes that have but it's better then the Mets doing nothing.

An owner willing to spend and a gm which will spend on the right players is key. I think alderson can be the GM but he needs the funds to do so.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    You do realize that this was a fabricated news bit.

But by all means, run with it.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    As negative as you are I'm starting to think its more realism. They stated deals would be done by the start of the World Series.... Hmmm the World Series wrapped up weeks ago and nothing. I kinda hope this story is true. Get the Wilpons out of here. Seeing what the dodgers have been spending makes me realize they have no desire to win. Have the dodgers been spending unnecessarily??? yes that have but it's better then the Mets doing nothing.

An owner willing to spend and a gm which will spend on the right players is key. I think alderson can be the GM but he needs the funds to do so.
    I'm negative because this team is a ******* disaster area, no-one can tell me otherwise. Sorry, but I have been told for years I was talking out my *****, Look where we are.

I knew the Mets would drag these deals out, and they have. It's the Coupons MO from way back.

The ONLY and I mean ONLY way forward is a non-Coupon team. They're broke, they'll be broke for eons and they're useless baseball people.

People can delude themselves that the Coupon/ Spindy axis will lead us to the promised land, but I guarantee you that it will not.

No chance, he is a plant from Bud Selig to sell snake-oil to people desperate for a winner, ie the fans. If people can't see through his act by now, then god help them.

He's a liar bro, that's all he is.

vCash
    You do realize that this was a fabricated news bit.

But by all means, run with it.
    It does not alter the reality that they are broke. They can can't afford a more than a $70M team.

vCash
    It does not alter the reality that they are broke. They can can't afford a more than a $70M team.
    They are affording one.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    They are affording one.
    No they're not, they're losing over $20M this year...

vCash
    No they're not, they're losing over $20M this year...
    And they had a payroll of 100 million.

vCash
    And they had a payroll of 100 million.

And they could afford that even less...

$95M or $100M, they couldn't afford it, they lost $23M last year.

vCash
    And they could afford that even less...

$95M or $100M, they couldn't afford it, they lost $23M last year.
    And?
    as you stated
    They can can't afford a more than a $70M team.
    So by your own admission they could.

vCash
    "Broke" is a relative term. To most of us being broke means you are struggling to put food on the table. To the likes of the Wilpons it means that their holdings are underperforming and they dont have the liquid cash to continue to expand. Their lifestyle is not in jeapardy. SNY alone is profitable enough to keep the Mets afloat. However with this economy there is no doubt that the Wilpons Real Estate Holdings are underperforming. Add to that the debt from Citifield and they could be in real trouble. Not "broke"! But certainly in trouble. But they can only sell their only viable asset (SNY & Mets) if it brings in enough to cover their debt and steady their investment portfolio. Otherwise SNY & the Mets could be the only things keeping them afloat. The reason they have a $100 million payroll set in stone is because that leaves enough cash from SNY to keep their empire up and running. Picking up Wright and Dickey's options asures filling a certain amount of seats. Losing them for 2013 just pushes the Wilpons off the tightrope that much quicker. The real question is do they believe they can hold on until the economy and their investments turn around or do they have to sell SNY & the Mets in order to keep their other investments. They are only looking at 2013. Because if the economy does not turn around by 2014 the Mets roster will not matter to them.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast