Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Thread

vCash
    True we do need to upgrade our Oline and Dline but teo looks like the next ray Lewis a prospect u can't pass up... I mean think about it guys out D will still need a leader , sum one who call the shots nd puts the defense in the right spots to make the stop , a leader to motivate the rest of the team. After this season who will be left on the defense ? Thats why I think teo should be the pick because he will change the culture and attitude on this defense. We need our own Patrick Willis . I wouldn't mind seein star bein the pick but DT's are always a gamble because its the one position with the highest bust rate. I rather jus pick teo knowing he can Contribute and become the face of the defense right away

vCash
    I've seen a lot of people talking about grabbing the NT out of Utah. I completely disagree.

Let me offer a different path.

First, I like Lotulelei, but I think he'd be useless as a DT in a 43 defense. Furthermore, the Raiders don't have enough depth to function in the 43 defense - how do we expect them to switch to a 34? Shaughnessy, Bryant, Burris and Wheeler are instantly useless in a 34 scheme, IMO, and aside from Houston, who else is even worth keeping?

So, no go on a NT - at least not this year.

The first pick should be aimed at getting a pass rusher - the proverbial "tweener" who can function as a rush 43 DE next year, eventually be shifted to the designated rusher in a 34 scheme.

The second pick should be aimed at grabbing an athletic MLB - someone capable of going sideline to sideline in a 43 scheme. This player, IMO, does not need to be 'great' - they just need to survive the '13 campaign as Reggie repositions the defense towards being a 34.

Eventually, you can run a 'multiple' defense - 34 / 43 - by having a NT on the field at all times and using Houston as either a DT (43) or DE (34) and moving the 'rusher' from DE to DT to give opponents multiple looks.

Just throwing my ideal draft path out there, FWIW.

vCash
    No way, he is too talented to be useless in the 4-3. We lack depth no matter what defensive scheme we choose.

Out of curiosity, what tweener in college would you draft in the top 10??

I still think the best approach is "draft best available" period. That would be a drafting "faux paux" to focus on body types.

You think the DT from Utah would be useless in the 4-3?? That is quite a statement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiconraider View Post
    No way, he is too talented to be useless in the 4-3. We lack depth no matter what defensive scheme we choose.
    Wheeler, Burris and Bryant are useless in a 34. They can be good players in a 43, however.

As far as Lotulelei goes, I really doubt he's athletic enough at his weight to succeed as a 4-3 DT. 43 DT's have to be big enough to hold their ground, but athletic enough to rush the passer.

In the 43, he's essntially just a run-stopper. Do you want to spend a top-5 pick on a one-trick player who will not succeed in disrupting the flow of the game?

Seems like a waste, IMO...

Out of curiosity, what tweener in college would you draft in the top 10??
    The 34 OLB's? Some of the smaller 43 DE's?

Jones (UGA), Moore (A&M), Mingo (LSU), Okafor (Texas) -- these guys are worth a first rounder. Some are worth a top-10, but not all; it's possible Oakland trades out of the top-10, which would be phenomenal.

I still think the best approach is "draft best available" period. That would be a drafting "faux paux" to focus on body types.

You think the DT from Utah would be useless in the 4-3?? That is quite a statement.
    First - it's about position, not body-type.

Tweener is the "DE / OLB" position - OLB in a 34, DE in a 43. Play them as a DE next year and eventually shift them to the rusher in a 34. I could have used a better term, I guess.

Secondly, it's not that Star is a 'bad' player, I just doubt he can be an effective pass-rusher in a 43 scheme. If the Raiders move to a 34? Yeah - he's worth it, but what do you do with Bryant, Burris, Wheeler, Shaughnessy, Houston, etc...?

There's very little to build around on defense, and switching to a 34 means the team will have even less depth, even fewer players in the proper position, etc.

Drafting a DE/LB rusher gives them another year or so to move towards transitioning to a 34. You can do that with the edge rusher - you can't do that with Star, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    I've seen a lot of people talking about grabbing the NT out of Utah. I completely disagree.

Let me offer a different path.

First, I like Lotulelei, but I think he'd be useless as a DT in a 43 defense. Furthermore, the Raiders don't have enough depth to function in the 43 defense - how do we expect them to switch to a 34? Shaughnessy, Bryant, Burris and Wheeler are instantly useless in a 34 scheme, IMO, and aside from Houston, who else is even worth keeping?

So, no go on a NT - at least not this year.

The first pick should be aimed at getting a pass rusher - the proverbial "tweener" who can function as a rush 43 DE next year, eventually be shifted to the designated rusher in a 34 scheme.

The second pick should be aimed at grabbing an athletic MLB - someone capable of going sideline to sideline in a 43 scheme. This player, IMO, does not need to be 'great' - they just need to survive the '13 campaign as Reggie repositions the defense towards being a 34.

Eventually, you can run a 'multiple' defense - 34 / 43 - by having a NT on the field at all times and using Houston as either a DT (43) or DE (34) and moving the 'rusher' from DE to DT to give opponents multiple looks.

Just throwing my ideal draft path out there, FWIW.
    Got to disagree shred. I think we can make the move to a 3-4. Obviously even if we stick to the 4-3 there will have to be some sort of stopgaps in place because we need a good amount of new starters. For example lets say we draft star and move to a 3-4. The thing about star is hes a great run stopper but hes a great pass rusher as well. If you can get adequate pressure from your NT in a 3-4 it makes your D that much more dangerous. Houston can be a pretty good 3-4 DE. The other DE position in the mean time imo can be filled with Desmond Bryant. We then have to find some guys in FA for depth. Aubrayo franklin comes to mind, and we can find other guys on short term deals as well. Miles burris imo can make a pretty good ILB in a 3-4. He just needs another ILB. Yes we are short of money and lacking a pick but even if we stick with a 4-3 we still would have to find a new MLB, mcclain is a goner. As for Wheeler I honestly think he would make a fine OLB in a 3-4. Wheeler is pretty good in pass coverage something that is very much needed in a OLB in a 3-4. The only knock is Wheeler is just a decent guy at getting to the QB, however, the fact that he can hold his own in pass coverage makes me comfortable in keeping him there. Now that we can getting adequate pass rush out of our OLB, some decent pass rushers in the DE positions, and a great pass rusher in star, the other OLB position is a must. This is where we need a dynamic pass rusher, sadly i think we would have to use a stop gap for this position until the next draft.

I for one don't think we should draft star unless we can trade down a couple spots. I have a good feeling we are going to end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick.

I just have no idea when the day will come where our defense will be built so much positions need to be addressed

Yall let me slip?!?!

vCash
    I don't think Wheeler would be any good as a 3-4 OLB.

That's just my opinion... and I don't think Wheeler, by himself, is enough to prevent a switch. He's a good player, but I don't think you make decisions based on ONE guy who's 'good.'

It's the lack of other players who could succeed in a 34 who give me pause. No doubt about Houston, but Bryant at DE? Not sure I see that as working out...

vCash
    Shredd ,I disagree, but you may be right, Reggie might push for the 3-4 here in Oakland (God only knows they did pretty well with it in Green Bay).

And if so, his draft approach may be what your describing. That could happen.

That is an interesting perspective ,Shredd buddy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    I don't think Wheeler would be any good as a 3-4 OLB.

That's just my opinion... and I don't think Wheeler, by himself, is enough to prevent a switch. He's a good player, but I don't think you make decisions based on ONE guy who's 'good.'

It's the lack of other players who could succeed in a 34 who give me pause. No doubt about Houston, but Bryant at DE? Not sure I see that as working out...
    I could actually see Wheeler signing elsewhere. Reggie may find someone better in FA for around the same price. who knows. I like Wheeler but I'm sure Reggie will keep his options open.

vCash
    Our personel fits a 4 3 and the kid out of utah is being compared to ngata..a freak athlete who can play both 3 4 and 4 3...the kid out of utah is not a typical nose atleast that's not his projection oor else he wouldn't be a top 5 prospect

vCash
    I think the kid from Utah is a bad ***. lol I also thought the kid from LSU was a bad ***.

What was his name??? Dorsey??

Lets just trade down!!!

vCash
    I would like to go:
    DT-Star
    CB-Trufant
    LB-Skov
    CB-Hyde
    DT-Anthony Rashad White

or

LB-Teo
    CB-Trufant
    DT-Everett Dawkins
    CB-Hyde
    DT-Anthony Rashad White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderposting View Post
    Got to disagree shred. I think we can make the move to a 3-4. Obviously even if we stick to the 4-3 there will have to be some sort of stopgaps in place because we need a good amount of new starters. For example lets say we draft star and move to a 3-4. The thing about star is hes a great run stopper but hes a great pass rusher as well. If you can get adequate pressure from your NT in a 3-4 it makes your D that much more dangerous. Houston can be a pretty good 3-4 DE. The other DE position in the mean time imo can be filled with Desmond Bryant. We then have to find some guys in FA for depth. Aubrayo franklin comes to mind, and we can find other guys on short term deals as well. Miles burris imo can make a pretty good ILB in a 3-4. He just needs another ILB. Yes we are short of money and lacking a pick but even if we stick with a 4-3 we still would have to find a new MLB, mcclain is a goner. As for Wheeler I honestly think he would make a fine OLB in a 3-4. Wheeler is pretty good in pass coverage something that is very much needed in a OLB in a 3-4. The only knock is Wheeler is just a decent guy at getting to the QB, however, the fact that he can hold his own in pass coverage makes me comfortable in keeping him there. Now that we can getting adequate pass rush out of our OLB, some decent pass rushers in the DE positions, and a great pass rusher in star, the other OLB position is a must. This is where we need a dynamic pass rusher, sadly i think we would have to use a stop gap for this position until the next draft.

I for one don't think we should draft star unless we can trade down a couple spots. I have a good feeling we are going to end up with the 2nd or 3rd pick.

I just have no idea when the day will come where our defense will be built so much positions need to be addressed
    3-4 is a horrible idea at this point. Right now we need a MLB, 2 corners and a DT. If we go to a 3-4, we would need 2 ILB, 1 OLB, 2 NTs and 2 corners. It seems likely we can get 4 quality players, than us getting 7 or 8. Not counting the holes we have to fill on the offensive side of the ball.

vCash
    I think the kid from Utah is a bad ***. lol I also thought the kid from LSU was a bad ***.

What was his name??? Dorsey??

Lets just trade down!!!
    for?

vCash
    This team needs difference making players..that has been their biggest issue there is no one who other teams must account for...and i feel that the dline is the best place to add a diifference maker because that effects the whole defense and makes everyone better

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post
    for?
    Really?? what do you think we would trade down for?? more draft picks, its not about any particular player. We need many players(like you said).

Really?

Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast