Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Hybrid View

vCash

Special teams ??? WTF?!?!?

Another year of embarrassing play on special teams!

vCash
    Really? I thought that was the first TD allowed by coverage teams all year. Not that that (or the blocks in the back) excuses the poor coverage, but special teams has not been a huge problem this year.

vCash
    Special teams haven't been as bad as last season, but they've been bad and mediocre. We can't forget Joe Adams' fumbles the first few games. There was also a punt block that led to points in week 1 vs TB which was a one score game. Against Chicago the special teams coach had bad gameplan, plus Nortman screwed up on the punt test went six yards. Special teams have been good by Carolina standards, but bad by good team's standards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Special teams haven't been as bad as last season, but they've been bad and mediocre. We can't forget Joe Adams' fumbles the first few games. There was also a punt block that led to points in week 1 vs TB which was a one score game. Against Chicago the special teams coach had bad gameplan, plus Nortman screwed up on the punt test went six yards. Special teams have been good by Carolina standards, but bad by good team's standards.
    Err, well yeah, I guess the timing of the post guided my response.

The Joe Adams situation was... err... "fixed". Personally, I think additional "fixes" are needed, and I wouldn't mind seeing if Adams has learned how to catch a football. I wish Hilton would have been available at that spot in the draft, but oh well.

I don't think the gameplan against Chicago was that bad. Their offense is terrible and our defense has been playing well and getting pressure. I'm a LOT more afraid of Hester than Cutler, especially after last year. If they kick to Hester and Hester burns us so more, I think everyone's talking about how the coaching staff "didn't learn their lesson" from last year. I mean, it's basically a lose-lose situation -- either play with fire on special teams or give your defense the chance to shut down the Chicago offense. I think they actually made the right decision. If anything, today's return shows that the Chicago decision might have been really, really smart.

All of that being said, Senn, Phillips, and Nakamura made some GREAT special teams plays in coverage. Pilares had been making great ST plays all season.

Frankly, I think the bigger problem is punting 9 times in a game, most of which from deep within our own territory.