Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    739
    vCash
    1500

    Panthers fired GM Marty Hurney

    I am just shocked and lost for words. I am not saying I don't agree with the decision it is just the timing that has me lost for words. Also I would have thought Sean McDermott would have been the first to go. Below I have posted the article about him being fired.

    During Hurney's second season as Carolina's general manager, they went to the Super Bowl. It's been mostly downhill since thanks to awful drafting and free-agency moves. He wasted picks on Jimmy Clausen and Armanti Edwards, and also wildly overpaid Jake Delhomme in 2009. During Hurney's 10 years in charge, the Panthers have never posted back-to-back winning seasons and are a league-worst 9-29 since the start of the 2010 season. Hurney strangely gave DeAngelo Williams a $43 million contract in 2011 and then handed out a $37 million deal to Jonathan Stewart just before this season. The Panthers have proceeded to utilize a pass-first offense. The Ron Rivera coaching regime is officially on notice as they take a 1-5 record into Week 8.
    Oct 22 - 9:53 AM Rotoworld
    Last edited by CarolinaFan87; 10-22-2012 at 01:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    739
    vCash
    1500
    Also wanted to through this out there if we decide to make a change at head coach I would love us to get Jon Gruden. He is the guy I wanted most last time and I think he could make this team relevant again. If we offered him the job do I think he would take it? Maybe. Its really tough to say because I think he is enjoying Monday Night Football and I am sure he enjoys being able to spend more time with his family. I just think if we make a change he should get a phone call though just to test the waters.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,093
    vCash
    1437
    I pretty much agree. This firing is either two months too early or four years too late. I've always like Hurney's attitude, but I've hated his decisions for the past few years. I can only hope McDermott is next in line.

    I'm really hoping we can get some of Green Bay's personnel to be our GM. They've done a stellar job at finding talent on that team over the years. It'll be interesting to see what kind of philosophy the new GM has. Hurney never really dipped into FA, but he also wasn't very good at building through the draft. I'm also curious to see which players will be safe with the new GM and if the coaching staff will be. All of the players that have had huge contracts dished to them the past couple of seasons could be seeing their way out.

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    Also wanted to through this out there if we decide to make a change at head coach I would love us to get Jon Gruden. He is the guy I wanted most last time and I think he could make this team relevant again. If we offered him the job do I think he would take it? Maybe. Its really tough to say because I think he is enjoying Monday Night Football and I am sure he enjoys being able to spend more time with his family. I just think if we make a change he should get a phone call though just to test the waters.
    I'd really like Gruden as an OC, or maybe even HC, but the price would have to be lower than what he'd want. I think if Gruden is interested in coaching again, Carolina is probably one of his top choices. Gruden made little hints about wanting to be the coach before Fox was fired during the 2-14 season. He loved our two HBs, Steve Smith, and I'd say he loves Newton's skill set. His offensive scheme would fit great with what we have. Gruden loved his mobile QBs to fit his west coast offense.

    I wonder if there is an outbreak of the players not liking the coaches. I saw Charles Johnson tweeted, "Marty wasn't the reason we are losing! That's bs! Unbelievable! Marty might be the realist GM that I know #InMyMind BS BS BS BS!" Sounds almost like the players aren't the biggest fans of the coaching staff if they're saying it's not Hurney's fault. He could be talking about the players, but it doesn't sound like it to me.

    Williams is rumored to be in the coach's "doghouse", and I believe it after only getting two carries.

    At this point, if we switch the HC, I haven't got a clue of who I'd want it to be. I'd like to have an offensive-minded coach, considering that's clearly our strongest point, when we aren't calling college plays.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100
    Thank ****ing Christ. Hurney made a ton of ****ing stupid moves, especially when it came to draft day trades. Not sure why you would suggest firing Sean McDermott when his defense has actually been average. The problem is that Rivera can't manage the clock to save his life, the offensive line can't block for ****, and Cam Newton may actually be as dumb as I thought he was.
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,093
    vCash
    1437
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Thank ****ing Christ. Hurney made a ton of ****ing stupid moves, especially when it came to draft day trades. Not sure why you would suggest firing Sean McDermott when his defense has actually been average. The problem is that Rivera can't manage the clock to save his life, the offensive line can't block for ****, and Cam Newton may actually be as dumb as I thought he was.
    I would suggest firing McDermott because he literally isn't doing anything to help the pass rush. Calling a four man rush an entire game with little to no blitzing is killing things. We can't get pressure to save our lives and having our safeties line up twenty yards behind the LBs. His play-calls are terrible, regardless of what personnel he has on the field. I realize he's had to switch things up with Gamble and Beason's injuries, but he wasn't doing anything before that. The only complement I can give him is that he's somewhat fixed our run defense, but I think Ron Edwards returning and Dwan Edwards returning (and also not starting two rookies) fixed that.

    Clock management and OL have been problems all year. But the biggest issue is Chud's horrible play-calling on offense. He's just like Davidson from the Fox days, only instead of spamming the run he spams deep passes and option plays. The only way we'll get some wins is if we get consistency in play-calling.

    What makes you say the Cam comment though? He looked miles better this week than he did against Seattle, and that was against the #2 pass defense. Outside of his INT in the red-zone, which was stupid, I don't get what you mean. Most of his mistakes look like what you'd expect from a young player.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    101,685
    vCash
    1605
    I just wish it could have happened sooner!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    4,231
    vCash
    1500
    I heard there are no plans to replace him right now. Could this be setting up to bring Cowher to Carolina? If they don't replace him, fire the coach at the end of the season, then bring in Cowher with full power. Would you guys be for or against that?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,093
    vCash
    1437
    Quote Originally Posted by georgiadolfan View Post
    I heard there are no plans to replace him right now. Could this be setting up to bring Cowher to Carolina? If they don't replace him, fire the coach at the end of the season, then bring in Cowher with full power. Would you guys be for or against that?
    I'd prefer that didn't happen (unless he's wants to be a GM), but if it happened I'd support the team's decision. I don't think Cowher is the best thing for this team, especially considering how much he would cost to bring in. I'm sure he'd put our HBs/FBs to good use, but I don't know if I'd want his style of play (run first). I don't want a predictable offense, I'd rather have a nice balance, but with a slight lean towards the run.

    I'm not exactly sold on getting a new coach just yet. I say let Rivera finish the season and see where we are. I don't want him to overstay his welcome, but I say give him the last 10 games to see what he can pull together. I have a feeling like the best way for Rivera to keep his job is to pull the plug on McDermott and then take over the defense and showing what he can offer.

    At the moment I don't really know who I would want at HC if Rivera were fired.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    4,231
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'd prefer that didn't happen (unless he's wants to be a GM), but if it happened I'd support the team's decision. I don't think Cowher is the best thing for this team, especially considering how much he would cost to bring in. I'm sure he'd put our HBs/FBs to good use, but I don't know if I'd want his style of play (run first). I don't want a predictable offense, I'd rather have a nice balance, but with a slight lean towards the run.

    I'm not exactly sold on getting a new coach just yet. I say let Rivera finish the season and see where we are. I don't want him to overstay his welcome, but I say give him the last 10 games to see what he can pull together. I have a feeling like the best way for Rivera to keep his job is to pull the plug on McDermott and then take over the defense and showing what he can offer.

    At the moment I don't really know who I would want at HC if Rivera were fired.

    I was just curious what other fan bases thought about bringing in Cowher. In our forum we debated it for like 2 years. Half the people were for it and half were against it. The problem with Cowher is he wants to be coach and GM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West Covina CA
    Posts
    16,941
    vCash
    1631
    The whole coaching staff probably needs to go to, but this was the first move that needed to happen. I don't mind leaving the coaching staff together in a lost season. You aren't going to find a good coach mid-season and there isn't a good choice for an interm GM. The roster moves this team has made have been horrific. Could be as bad as any team the last few years. They have given up future picks for Jimmy Clausen and Amanti Edwards. I think they gave up more future picks than that. I'm never a fan of that, but if you do it you better hit. They did nothing to help the roster this offseason and they had a chance to contend if they did. Cam has regressed due to the lack of talent and protection around him.

    I blame the GM WAY more than I blame the coaches for the mess this team has become.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,093
    vCash
    1437
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    They have given up future picks for Jimmy Clausen and Amanti Edwards. I think they gave up more future picks than that. I'm never a fan of that, but if you do it you better hit.
    Thankfully, Hurney didn't trade any picks for Clausen, but he did waste a mid-second-round pick on him, I'm sure he was probably trying to trade away our future first round picks to get him though. Armanti was traded for the 2011 33rd pick (practically a first rounder), Everette Brown was traded for our 2010 1st round pick (top 15 pick), and Jeff Otah was traded for our 2009 1st round pick, plus I think a second rounder. In another off-season, what will they all have in common? None of them will be Panthers.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,925
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    The whole coaching staff probably needs to go
    False. Sensible minds need to identify what the problem is and fix it. Contrary to apparent popular belief, you and I know little of what's actually going on out there. These coaches have been around football their entire lives and know the game inside and out. If there are solutions, they'll be able to figure them out before we will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    The roster moves this team has made have been horrific.
    False. This team has predominantly stuck to its strategy of building through the draft. It's also made some FA signings that have been impactful, including bringing in Dwan Edwards this season. They also made the trade to bring in Greg Olsen. I know the "bads" outweigh the "goods" in most fans' minds, but we're smarter than that, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    They have given up future picks for Jimmy Clausen and Amanti Edwards. I think they gave up more future picks than that.
    They did not give up a future pick for Clausen, where did you get that from? Giving up a future pick for Armanti Edwards was a risky proposition, but it could have (and still might) work out. They also traded a future pick to get Everette Brown, who was a bad fit for Fox's scheme, and Jeff Otah, whose injury history really can't be blamed on the front office.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    They did nothing to help the roster this offseason and they had a chance to contend if they did. Cam has regressed due to the lack of talent and protection around him.
    False. They brought in help at WR in Louis Murphy, who had a great preseason. They brought in Dwan Edwards who has performed well this season. They brought in Josh Thomas who will be playing CB with Gamble on IR. They brought in Haruki Nakamura to provide competition for Martin, who was not up to the task. They brought in Mike Tolbert on a budget.

    They drafted Kuechly, who is now our starting MLB. They drafted Silatolu, who is our starting LG. They drafted Norman, who is a starting CB. All of whom are on-par (or better) with how good one could reasonably expect a rookie to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    I blame the GM WAY more than I blame the coaches for the mess this team has become.
    As Charles Johnson pointed out, how many guys has Hurney brought in that have gone to the Pro Bowl? The talent is here, it's just a matter of putting it together, and the play-calling on offense and scheme on defense have been dreadful. Blame the GM all you want, but he's just the scapegoat here. Rivera implied that assistant coaches' jobs could be in jeopardy, which is welcome to hear.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,093
    vCash
    1437
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    As Charles Johnson pointed out, how many guys has Hurney brought in that have gone to the Pro Bowl? The talent is here, it's just a matter of putting it together, and the play-calling on offense and scheme on defense have been dreadful. Blame the GM all you want, but he's just the scapegoat here. Rivera implied that assistant coaches' jobs could be in jeopardy, which is welcome to hear.
    16. While I agree that Hurney is the first scape-goat (who fires a GM mid-season?), he was still past due. 16 different pro-bowlers in 9 Pro Bowls. While I'm not trying to downplay that, it's not that mind-boggling. From 2008 to 2012 Pro Bowl we've only had 6 different Pro Bowlers (Smith, Kalil, Gross, Beason, Williams, and Newton). I'm probably just being greedy, but I'd rather see more than two-three Panthers per year at the Pro Bowl, especially when a lot of times our players only go because someone is injured or in the SB.

    I completely agree with your last sentence. I hope no one's job is safe considering how poorly coached the team has been this season.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,925
    vCash
    1500
    I don't know if it's coaching, per se. I think it's more certain aspects of being a coordinator. The defensive scheme is awful and the offensive play-calling is ... offensive.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West Covina CA
    Posts
    16,941
    vCash
    1631
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    I don't know if it's coaching, per se. I think it's more certain aspects of being a coordinator. The defensive scheme is awful and the offensive play-calling is ... offensive.
    It sounds like you are OK with a bad team with the way you ripped apart my post. You defend the coaching staff and the GM yet the team is 1-5 and finds new and creative ways to lose every week. Is there SOME talent? Of course. Even the Chiefs and Jaguars have talent. Since you ripped apart my post so bad I will point out a couple horrible points you made.

    Amanti Edwards was a TERRIBLE trade at the time and has gotten nothing but worse. He IS NOT going to be worth the 33rd pick in the draft ever. Any arguement you can make loses a lot of credibility by supporting that trade. Especially where you say it may still work out. No it won't. Sorry. Louis Murphy is your answer at WR? I'm sorry but again that's not enough. This team just needed a couple guys that can run routes. Robert Meachem, Eddie Royal, Jericho Cochetry and even Plaxico would have made more sense than Lou Murph IMO.

    Everett Brown wasn't a bad move and Otah just got unlucky. Obviously I was wrong about Clausen. My bad, that wasn't really a bad trade. Not sure why I thought they traded for him. I can admit I'm wrong. Lets see if you can with your Amanti support.

    More evidence the GM should be fired is having 2 RB's that now seem below average to average at best on the roster taking up about $12-$14 million in cap space. You mention the Tolbert signing. I like him. Probably the best back on the team. However you say they got him on a budget. Not true, he got a nice chunk of cash...especially for a FB.

    You bring up a bunch of "guys" the team signed this offseason. Sure some of those guys are OK, but they are just "guys". Having all that money tied up in average RB's and then spending big on another really killed any momentum this team could have created going into this offseason. How much better would Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks look on this team rather than Stewart, Tolbert and all those "guys" you mentioned look?

    The 2nd sentence in my post said you might as well let the coaching staff have this year, so I don't know why ripped me so bad about saying the coaching staff should "probably" be fired. The team is 1-5, they probably do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •