Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100

    Panthers/Broncos

    Byron Bell is one of the worst offensive linemen I have ever seen start an NFL game. He is horrid. Can't wait for the new GM to dump this piece of ****. That is all.
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    1437
    I'm out of town so I'm only getting what nfl.com provides. In seeing cam get sacked quite a bit, is it mostly Bell or is the entire line playing like crap? Also, was the pick-six an ugly pass or was it more what the defense did? How is the playcalling?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I'm out of town so I'm only getting what nfl.com provides. In seeing cam get sacked quite a bit, is it mostly Bell or is the entire line playing like crap? Also, was the pick-six an ugly pass or was it more what the defense did? How is the playcalling?
    They took Bell out for Williams now. He's just total trash. The whole line has played pretty awful other than Hangartner. Doesn't help that our idiot QB holds the ball for 10 years.
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    739
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Byron Bell is one of the worst offensive linemen I have ever seen start an NFL game. He is horrid. Can't wait for the new GM to dump this piece of ****. That is all.
    Amini Silatolu is far worse than Byron Bell. Bell isn't great but Silatolu is HORRIBLE!!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,925
    vCash
    1500
    The O-line was dreadful today. Granted, they had their hands full with Dumervil, Ayers, and Miller, but this was pathetic. Silatolu is far worse than Bell? I'm not sure I'm seeing that. Bell was getting beat on every single play this game.

    I guess what I don't understand is... Newton starts the game 6-for-6, looks good, the offense is moving. Then he wildly misses Smith on a screen and everything goes downhill from there. I know he's under pressure, but he just seems to be making bad decisions in those situations. He's still staring down his receivers, he doesn't have a sense for when his protection is collapsing, and he hasn't shown a willingness to escape the pocket and make the pass on the run.

    That said, part of that is how long he holds the ball. I blame that partially on play design, but I think the receivers have to accept some of that responsibility too. It was nice to see Edwards on the field today (and Gettis for a play or two), but I need to see more from him. As for Murphy, I need to see less of him. He's like this year's Naanee. I'd rather see Edwards or even Barnidge lined up in the slot.

    I thought we were going to go to more of a power running game? I guess that just meant we were not going to run the option as much, not that we'd actually run the ball. Fewer than 20 runs to 36 passes. I know the O-line plays horribly at times, but we still have to get the ball in the hands of Stewart and Williams. It's a shame that half the time they touch the ball, there's a hold or illegal use of the hands or something.

    I'm not sure how any team gets pressure on Manning. Really, I'm not. I won't fault the D-line for that. Forcing three fumbles certainly helps their cause. Unless there's a beast of a DT available in the draft next year, I'm keeping this unit intact.

    Run defense could have been better, but wasn't horrible. LBs did alright in pass coverage.

    Was it just me or did Martin play a great game today? The rest of the secondary did about as well as one could expect against Manning, given that Norman is a rookie, Thomas is practically a rookie, and Munnerlyn was back to being his normal self.

    Speaking of whom, he did a lot of dancing on punt returns, but still didn't get anywhere. I'm not saying I want Edwards returning punts, but it might be time to see if Adams has learned how to hold onto the ball. I'm not sure what that does for the inactives list though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    Amini Silatolu is far worse than Byron Bell. Bell isn't great but Silatolu is HORRIBLE!!!!
    No, Silatolu is easily better than Bell. Silatolu has flashes of potential. He's really good getting out in space on pulls. Bell has zero positive value now, or in the future.
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post

    I'm not sure how any team gets pressure on Manning. Really, I'm not. I won't fault the D-line for that. Forcing three fumbles certainly helps their cause. Unless there's a beast of a DT available in the draft next year, I'm keeping this unit intact.

    Run defense could have been better, but wasn't horrible. LBs did alright in pass coverage.

    Was it just me or did Martin play a great game today? The rest of the secondary did about as well as one could expect against Manning, given that Norman is a rookie, Thomas is practically a rookie, and Munnerlyn was back to being his normal self.
    The defense is playing really well right now. They didn't even give up that many points against a very good Denver offense when you factor in the punt return for a TD and the pick six. The people who thought the defense was the problem and were whining about McDermott should be laughing at themselves, because the defense has been damn good the past few weeks. Hardy and Johnson are both playing lights out, and Frank Alexander has been way impressive for a rookie.
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    1437
    I think Newton's problems are (greatest to least): Oline being in shambles, poor placating, no run game, young player problems (off throws, starring, pocket presence), receivers not getting open/not catching the tough catches that they could be getting, and not having a consistent receiver besides Smith.

    Someone mentioned to me today (non-panther fan) how would I feel if we drafted Jarvis Jones or the top WR in the draft. There are more pressing needs, but it's possible the new coach wants a 3-4 defense and Jones looks great for an OLB.

    For a WR, I think we need to find Smith's future replacement asap. LaFell is clearly not a #1 and no one else is looking ing the part either. LaFell is probably going to be a good #2 but we need the #1 WR soon. We could move Smith to the inside more frequently. I'd like to be able to do what ATL did for White when they brought in Jones.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,925
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    The defense is playing really well right now. They didn't even give up that many points against a very good Denver offense when you factor in the punt return for a TD and the pick six. The people who thought the defense was the problem and were whining about McDermott should be laughing at themselves, because the defense has been damn good the past few weeks. Hardy and Johnson are both playing lights out, and Frank Alexander has been way impressive for a rookie.
    The defense has been playing well, no doubt. I'm not ready to get behind McDermott just yet though. I still don't like how far our DBs play from the line of scrimmage, or the straight-ahead pass rush. BUT, it seems to be working somehow, and as long as that's the case, I can't really complain too much.

    Small shout-out to Chud too. Following that first TD drive, we were inside our own 10 and Chud calls a quick slant! It was knocked down at the line, but that's the kind of play that will help Newton deal with the pressure that defenses are throwing at him. Too bad he didn't call more of those.

    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef
    Someone mentioned to me today (non-panther fan) how would I feel if we drafted Jarvis Jones or the top WR in the draft. There are more pressing needs, but it's possible the new coach wants a 3-4 defense and Jones looks great for an OLB.

    For a WR, I think we need to find Smith's future replacement asap. LaFell is clearly not a #1 and no one else is looking ing the part either. LaFell is probably going to be a good #2 but we need the #1 WR soon. We could move Smith to the inside more frequently. I'd like to be able to do what ATL did for White when they brought in Jones.
    Call me a guy that was raised a Steelers fan before the Panthers came into the league, but I think we need to address O-line in the draft. If we can find that long-term LT, this line could look very good again (moving Gross to RT, of course).

    If I'm the future (or current!) coach of the Panthers, I'm looking at what Johnson, Hardy, Edwards, Edwards, and Alexander have achieved this year and I'm not thinking about moving to a 3-4. What I am thinking is that I need a beast NT to replace Ron Edwards when he is no longer with the team (and I think he's done well this year, but he's not getting any younger).

    I also don't think we need to go out and draft a WR in the first round. And, yes, if you're talking about finding Smith's replacement ASAP, that's what you're suggesting. I think we'll know by the end of the year whether we already have that guy on the roster (*cough* Gettis *cough*). I don't know that we really need to address WR in this draft anyway, but if the right guy is there, it wouldn't be too surprising if they pulled the trigger.

    Biggest needs: OT, NT (Star Lotulelei would be amazing)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    739
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    No, Silatolu is easily better than Bell. Silatolu has flashes of potential. He's really good getting out in space on pulls. Bell has zero positive value now, or in the future.
    Silatolu has more POTENTIAL but at this stage he is not better than Byron Bell. Silatolu consistently looks like a deer in head lights. He has had multiple penalties against him example the screen play we did to Stew that went for about 60 yards but was called back (The refs said Gross but it was Silatolu even the announcers knew the refs called the wrong number). Personally I think the organization made a huge mistake drafting someone so raw so early when there were TONS of better offensive lineman available with that same pick. I am hoping our next GM is smarter with high draft picks. If I had a chance in free agency I would replace Silatolu and Bell to help make our oline better.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    Silatolu has more POTENTIAL but at this stage he is not better than Byron Bell. Silatolu consistently looks like a deer in head lights. He has had multiple penalties against him example the screen play we did to Stew that went for about 60 yards but was called back (The refs said Gross but it was Silatolu even the announcers knew the refs called the wrong number). Personally I think the organization made a huge mistake drafting someone so raw so early when there were TONS of better offensive lineman available with that same pick. I am hoping our next GM is smarter with high draft picks. If I had a chance in free agency I would replace Silatolu and Bell to help make our oline better.
    Did you even watch the game? On that play where Stewart went for a ton of yards, Silatolu was out in space and blocked the guy in the back. If he doesn't do that, Stewart doesn't spring that play in the first place.

    Silatolu is not good right now, but he isn't bad. I know you're a Byron Bell apologist and have been for awhile, but Bell is miles worse than Silatolu. Did you even watch Bell get teed off on by Dumervil first, then Miller for the rest of the game after Doom went out? Bell didn't have a snowball's chance in hell. Which "tons" of offensive linemen would you prefer to Silatolu in this past draft? You're crazy if you're already going to give up on him right now.
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    739
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Did you even watch the game? On that play where Stewart went for a ton of yards, Silatolu was out in space and blocked the guy in the back. If he doesn't do that, Stewart doesn't spring that play in the first place.

    Silatolu is not good right now, but he isn't bad. I know you're a Byron Bell apologist and have been for awhile, but Bell is miles worse than Silatolu. Did you even watch Bell get teed off on by Dumervil first, then Miller for the rest of the game after Doom went out? Bell didn't have a snowball's chance in hell. Which "tons" of offensive linemen would you prefer to Silatolu in this past draft? You're crazy if you're already going to give up on him right now.
    Yes I saw the play but I like Stewarts odds of breaking the tackle because he does it on a consistent basis. You gotta let defender go and see what happens instead of moving your team backwards.

    Cordy Glenn or Jonathan Martin would have been fine with me. I didn't say I would give up on him but I would prefer for him to compete in camp and possibly be a backup til he is ready.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    Yes I saw the play but I like Stewarts odds of breaking the tackle because he does it on a consistent basis. You gotta let defender go and see what happens instead of moving your team backwards.

    Cordy Glenn or Jonathan Martin would have been fine with me. I didn't say I would give up on him but I would prefer for him to compete in camp and possibly be a backup til he is ready.
    You also have to protect your players. I can't fault him too much for that penalty.

    Cordy Glenn would have been better. I preferred Cordy Glenn at the time of the draft. However, Martin is not a good fit. He's a poor run blocker. He would have only been able to play LT. He hasn't been good in Miami at RT. I'm still not seeing "tons" of better OLs that we could have gone with.
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,925
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    You also have to protect your players. I can't fault him too much for that penalty.

    Cordy Glenn would have been better. I preferred Cordy Glenn at the time of the draft. However, Martin is not a good fit. He's a poor run blocker. He would have only been able to play LT. He hasn't been good in Miami at RT. I'm still not seeing "tons" of better OLs that we could have gone with.
    So what you're saying is he would have been a better fit for this offense? In all seriousness though, there were definitely "safer" picks than Silatolu, but the scouts and coaches clearly saw something. Maybe they anticipated running the ball more than we have?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    43,277
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    So what you're saying is he would have been a better fit for this offense? In all seriousness though, there were definitely "safer" picks than Silatolu, but the scouts and coaches clearly saw something. Maybe they anticipated running the ball more than we have?
    There's plenty to like about Silatolu. He's a superior athlete to both of them. Considering they decided they wanted to fill a guard spot, he's probably a better fit at guard than either Glenn or Martin (definitely Martin). Martin would be a useless RT. I've been a fan of moving Gross off of LT and to LG or RT, but I wouldn't do it for Jonathan Martin. And yes, when you're paying RBs like we're paying them, you ought to be prepared to run the ball a lot.
    On Cam Newton:

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

    This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.


    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Nfl scouting is a joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •