Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    24,323
    vCash
    1500

    Cardinals' TV ratings continue slide

    The Cardinals have had big runs in each of the past two seasons, their miraculous comeback in 2011 from being 10˝ games out of a playoff spot in late August to winning the World Series, then gaining the final wild-card slot this season.

    But despite the hoopla, ratings haven’t followed suit for the Redbirds’ local telecasts on Fox Sports Midwest, as the figure this year declined for the second consecutive season; the 2012 number was an eye-opening 19 percent below that of 2010.

    The are several theories, but there is one constant the past two seasons — a three-man rotation in the broadcast booth, leading to little continuity and a “country club” atmosphere as viewers are left guessing until game time which combination of Dan McLaughlin, Rick Horton and Al Hrabosky they will hear.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...add61a98a.html

    Why do you think ratings are down? Is it because of our broadcasters?
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ILSTU
    Posts
    7,486
    vCash
    1500
    they certainly don't help the ratings

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,382
    vCash
    1500
    I don't think it hurts or helps ratings with the announcers.

    If you really wanna watch you will watch no matter who the announcers are. I despise the reds announcers and Brent mussberger and Kirk herbstreit but I still watch reds-cardinals and prime time college football.

    That said I don't know the issue. It's not like team support is down, the stadium is always full. Very interesting

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    81
    vCash
    1500
    We lost TLR, Pujols, Duncan... it's natural for bandwagon fans to stop watching when you lose people like that, especially Pujols. We don't have another national "household" name on the roster.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    5,504
    vCash
    1500
    Maybe the money is tighter and more families are moving to basic cable?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,382
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by neohemp View Post
    We lost TLR, Pujols, Duncan... it's natural for bandwagon fans to stop watching when you lose people like that, especially Pujols. We don't have another national "household" name on the roster.
    Honestly,I don't think that has a ton to do with it. I don't think people tune in to baseball games like they do to see guys like Tebow play football or lebron james play basketball. Basically, You have to wait 3 hours to see Pujols bat 4-5 times and its not like watching him catch balls at first base is all that exciting.

    You can watch Tebow throw 5 passes in 10 minutes, you can see lebron take 8 shots in 10 minutes. Lots of quick and player you wanna see action. I don't think this has the same effect in baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by stlfan544 View Post
    Maybe the money is tighter and more families are moving to basic cable?
    I know how it is here, fox sports ohio is on basic cable but is fox sports Midwest not on basic cable?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ILSTU
    Posts
    7,486
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post



    I know how it is here, fox sports ohio is on basic cable but is fox sports Midwest not on basic cable?

    fsn-midwest is on basic cable here for me

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ILSTU
    Posts
    7,486
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by neohemp View Post
    We lost TLR, Pujols, Duncan... it's natural for bandwagon fans to stop watching when you lose people like that, especially Pujols. We don't have another national "household" name on the roster.
    makes sense

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,382
    vCash
    1500
    Damn it. Cable needs to be all the same. They make my Internet discussions confusing!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    758
    vCash
    1500
    I live a little north of Skippy, in Ohio. Directv sports package has all of them, didn't miss more than a couple games last season.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,382
    vCash
    1500
    That's interesting didnt know they had all those.

    We have time Warner cable which sucks but because of where we live satellite doesn't do great, we had it 2 years and it was bad

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    758
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    That's interesting didnt know they had all those.

    We have time Warner cable which sucks but because of where we live satellite doesn't do great, we had it 2 years and it was bad
    Seems to only have a problem with ice and very hard rain. Otherwise, no problems. Ice, I was able to fix with a hair dryer, 8 foot piece of PVC tubing and a step ladder. And of course some determination thrown in. Big Ten college wrestling season coverage is as much a must see as Cardinal baseball, in my house.

    I got tired of Time Warner several years ago and haven't looked back. I got irritated when TW wouldn't get CSTV and there was a big wrestling meet being covered. I called Directv 3 days before the meet and told them I'd pay extra if the guy came before the meet aired. Customer service laughed, but said they would put a rush on it and they did.

    I pay a little extra and get the Fox sports package. I also get the MLB ticket package though.

    The customer service for DTV has been great. Anytime I've had a problem at all, I call and get right through to an actual person and the problem is corrected immediately.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,382
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by salto View Post
    Seems to only have a problem with ice and very hard rain. Otherwise, no problems. Ice, I was able to fix with a hair dryer, 8 foot piece of PVC tubing and a step ladder. And of course some determination thrown in. Big Ten college wrestling season coverage is as much a must see as Cardinal baseball, in my house.

    I got tired of Time Warner several years ago and haven't looked back. I got irritated when TW wouldn't get CSTV and there was a big wrestling meet being covered. I called Directv 3 days before the meet and told them I'd pay extra if the guy came before the meet aired. Customer service laughed, but said they would put a rush on it and they did.

    I pay a little extra and get the Fox sports package. I also get the MLB ticket package though.

    The customer service for DTV has been great. Anytime I've had a problem at all, I call and get right through to an actual person and the problem is corrected immediately.
    Our problem was when they were advertising a box I'm every room ( long time ago, when it first started, I was In 5th grade) and we called and wanted 5. Well they got here and told us it is supposed to be limit 4. After some arguments and my dad threatening to cancel a deal they put it in. It worked like a month then quit working.

    then any time we have hard rain or hard snow it quit working. They came out to look and said it was because there were a ton of trees in the way and that they could try moving the dish, at this point my dads furious because the origional install man and woman talked about how perfect the spot was and basically sweet talked us into getting free hbo for 3 months then proceeded to brag about how every time he signs someone up he gets 3 months free to.

    So at this point they made us pay that months bill and released us from our contract if that's what we wanted, basically I think because they were sick of dealing with my dad lol

    Basically my dad was just pissed because he got sweet talked by a salesmen and found it wasn't as great as advertised. He basically got lucky that the install man who told him all about the great reception we would get in the spot basically lied and that was enough to get it done I guess

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Louis/ Lake of the Ozarks
    Posts
    6,227
    vCash
    1500
    It is probably because the Cardinals never turn it on until like September. They are mediocre at best until they make a very late push. The days of 100 win seasons were 6 or 7 years ago. Being .500 on August 15th every year isn't all that inspiring lol. I think that a lot of fans expect more from the Organization. But, the Cardinals last 2 WS were on 83 and 90 win seasons, so nobody should give up on them per se.

    Another thing is the Cardinals never sign big names to get people excited for the season. They sign guys that usually turn out decent, but they never sign anyone relevant until they are in their mid to late 30's. Which at that point its a crap shoot on what you are going to get. Their roster is a giant question mark heading into march and april every year and that may have something to do with it as well.

    Also, pretty much everyone has DVR's now, so I am not exactly sure how that is calculated into the ratings... I never really did any research on that. Just another theory if it is tabulated correctly when people can record it and watch something else simultaneously.
    St. Louis Cardinals
    St. Louis Blues
    Miami Heat
    Minnesota Vikings

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,382
    vCash
    1500
    I think there is for sure some valid points in that, especially about how we've underachieved in early seasons lately

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •