Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    And now no one would touch him with a 10 ft pole.
    yes the recent extension was a horrible move

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    Does Francisco Liriano move the needle for you?

I could see that one happening fairly soon.
    It would move the needle if they signed him to a multi-year deal. If it is for a 1 year deal so they can flip him at the trade deadline then it does not move the needle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    It would move the needle if they signed him to a multi-year deal. If it is for a 1 year deal so they can flip him at the trade deadline then it does not move the needle.
    Spending more than a 1 year deal (with a team option) on a pitcher who's got major control issues is not what you'd call a great idea. You need to be able to jettison him if he can't be fixed while also having some control kept if you want.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Spending more than a 1 year deal (with a team option) on a pitcher who's got major control issues is not what you'd call a great idea. You need to be able to jettison him if he can't be fixed while also having some control kept if you want.
    I need to see the front office commit to some players on longer term deals to start to get excited. While Liriano would not be my choice for the longer term deal I hope to see some other players signed that can start helping the team next year and for years to come. Acquiring players coming off down years or injuries and hoping to get a bounce back season so they can be traded for prospects does not move the needle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    I need to see the front office commit to some players on longer term deals to start to get excited. While Liriano would not be my choice for the longer term deal I hope to see some other players signed that can start helping the team next year and for years to come. Acquiring players coming off down years or injuries and hoping to get a bounce back season so they can be traded for prospects does not move the needle.
    Might as well snooze through the offseason then, because it's going to be more of the same, more than likely.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Might as well snooze through the offseason then, because it's going to be more of the same, more than likely.
    Nothing wrong with it if it's the right way to go about things and that it is. Find a new team if you prefer one that operates by indulging for two years only to falter for another four. In the mean time I'll gladly put in the patience necessary that will result in us developing a sustainable and competitive future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad73 View Post
    Nothing wrong with it if it's the right way to go about things and that it is. Find a new team if you prefer one that operates by indulging for two years only to falter for another four. In the mean time I'll gladly put in the patience necessary that will result in us developing a sustainable and competitive future.
    Don't need to tell me that. I'm fully on board with what's going on. It's other people around here who are impatient.
    #WhyNot?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    Buster Olney:

Wow.
    I really like Affeldt.
    One of the best relievers in the biz and really important to that Giants team. $18 M is a lot but still a deal since it would be at least twice that much if he pitched the ninth inning and had the title "closer" attached to him. It's about time the set up men start getting paid. If the Cubs were in a different position I would have loved to gone after Affeldt

vCash
    Don't need to tell me that. I'm fully on board with what's going on. It's other people around here who are impatient.
    It's cool man, I was referring to those other people. CHEERS FOR PATIENCE!!!

vCash
    ^^^ Said a Pirates fan in 1994.

Not knocking the way the Cubs are attempting to go about business, but do not assume that just because this is their plan they will magically be good in a few years. Many teams have tried to develop from within, you know, the right way. And many have failed. Wonder how patient all will be if in 2015 the Cubs are still not producing what so many fans seem to think they will be producing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    ^^^ Said a Pirates fan in 1994.

Not knocking the way the Cubs are attempting to go about business, but do not assume that just because this is their plan they will magically be good in a few years. Many teams have tried to develop from within, you know, the right way. And many have failed. Wonder how patient all will be if in 2015 the Cubs are still not producing what so many fans seem to think they will be producing.
    That Pirates team did not have the resources the Cubs have or the brain power to maximize on their return. Producing from within does not only mean developing a team full of home grown talent. It also mean being able to cash in those prospects for big league talent. Once you have that right mix of homegrown talent and acquired big league talent that's when you start plugging in the holes. Contrary to popular belief, nobody is saying not to spend money. Just to spend it efficiently and on the right talent.

A perfect example would be the BJ Upton homers. Upton can easily be emulated for a small fraction of the bloated contract he is going to undeservably get this off season. Yet you have morons on here who want to dish out $80 million plus to the guy while the team has no shot of competing next season. You don't spend money just to spend it when those resources can be maximized on much more needed talent down the road.

There's only one guy this off season that the front office could justify going balls out on and that's Greinke, due to the luxury and shortage of pitching available in the coming years. Other than that their is nobody worth it and all the "fans" who are going to be *****ing and moaning that Theo didn't go out and sign the grand ol' messiah BJ Upton can go take a hike.
    Last edited by Muhammad73; 11-12-2012 at 07:13 PM.

vCash
    I'm still waiting to hear who this 3-4 win CF is on the cheap that can match BJ. Brett Jackson sure as hell can't do it. The only one that I could see that could do that is Pagan and I could see him getting an Aaron Rowand type deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear who this 3-4 win CF is on the cheap that can match BJ. Brett Jackson sure as hell can't do it. The only one that I could see that could do that is Pagan and I could see him getting an Aaron Rowand type deal.
    Coco Crisp and Shane Victorino say hi.

vCash
    That Marmol deal not looking so bad, and funnily enough I remember a positive reaction to the deal when it was done. League and Affeldt both are good relievers. Late inning arms are just becoming more and more valuable. It's the baseball world's reaction to the price and rarity of high caliber starting pitcher amongst other things...probably mostly that. Just build a deeper pitching staff and have a reliever or two that might have starting ability if given a shot.

There is probably no 2014/2015 without adding some real MLB talent in this offseason. It comes to be that much harder to get better, you've instilled the idea that losing is not only OK but necessary, and in a year you might lose as many prospects as you might gain just to attrition. Then there's the fans not showing up...Its not as worth it as is being said. Plus it's a waste of Castro, Rizzo, Barney, Shark, Castillo, Russell, and whoever else being cheap and productive...overall it just makes sense to add some MLB talent.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-12-2012 at 07:36 PM.

vCash
    Coco Crisp and Shane Victorino say hi.
    If Oakland is willing to move Crisp he's not bad. I just think Upton has more upside than both, but I can see your point. I thought you were referring to more internal options. In that case we have no one that can put up 3-4 win seasons.

Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast