Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    very well said french.
    Btw, Bo Sox Fan was saying that world takes notice when the rexdsox and yankees play, does anyone in europe really give a crap about the redsox and yankees?
    Nobody in Europe cares about the World Series at all and nobody can give a single baseball player name since 1876.
    At least in France, and in England (I lived 2 years in London). It can be Yankees / Red Sox or Anchorrage/ Helena, same result, they watch footbal, sometimes basketball, tennis, and the Tour de France.
    Many of my students wear a fantasy Yankee cap...without even knowing who the Yankees are !
    10-4 record at Dodger stadium !
    1-0 road record

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubfan23 View Post
    Cubs vs Cards anyone?
    Cardinals/Cubs is a historical rivalry, but friendly lately. It's a different kind of rivalry than the nastiness of the Dodgers/Giants and Yankees/Red Sox.

Lately the Cardinals/Reds rivalry gets more attention, since both teams are in contention every year and hate each other. The Dusty vs. Tony element and the fact that the Reds have so many former Cardinal players (and GM) just added fuel to the fire.

The vicious rivalries are not better, but they get more attention. The Cardinals/Cubs rivalry has the history and the dislike, but it's not heated lately. When the Cubs finish rebuilding if we are still in contention every year then expect the rivalry to heat up again.

I think the other teams in the division have some resentment toward the Cardinals for being good lately. That's only natural. The Cardinals have been in the postseason most of the last ten years and whichever team tried knock them off became the rival.
    The late 1990s the Astros won quite a bit. The Cardinals won the division 2000-2002. In 2003 the Cardinals competed with the Cubs who won the division and got to the NLCS (La Russa's book Three Nights in August is about 2003 and his rivalry with Dusty). The Astros were in contention in 2003 also.
    In 2004-2006 it was Cardinals vs. Astros (Houston won the Wild Card in 2004 and 2005 and faced the Cardinals in the NLCS both years, Cardinals winning in 2004 and Astros in 2005. 2006 both teams were not great, but the Astros nearly took the division from the Cardinals. The Cardinals won the World Series in 2006).
    2007-2008 the Cubs had two good years, but not good playoffs. The Brewers were in the mix those years, winning the Wild Card in 2008. Both teams lost in the NLDS in 2008.
    2009 the Cardinals won the division again, but lost the NLDS. Neither team came very close to catching the Cardinals.
    2010 Cincy won the division, but lost in the NLDS.
    2011 you had the Reds, Brewers, and Cardinals competing to win the division. Cincinnati ending up falling off the map and the Cardinals on the Wild Card, beat the Brewers in the NLCS, and won the World Series.
    And last year the Reds won the division but didn't get any farther than the Cardinals. Of course, the Cardinals being in the postseason was controversial because of the second Wild Card.

The Cardinals main rival the last decade has changed over the years. The Brewers and Reds and Cubs and Brewers have rivalries as well, but most of the big rivalries in the NL Central the past 10 years have included the Cardinals. The only team left out is Pittsburgh.

The Cardinals Cubs rivalry is interesting and deep-seated, but not especially heated the last 5 years. It's more of a traditional rivalry. I kind of prefer it that way, but it gets less attention. The Cardinals rivalry with the Cubs and the Reds are made all the more complicated because the teams have shared players (like Theriot, Edmonds, Rolen, and GM Jocketty) and Dusty managed for both the Reds and Cubs.
    The St. Louis/Chicago rivalry goes back a long way. The baseball teams have been playing each other since the 1880s. St. Louis and Chicago also competed for the World's Fair way back in 1904. Since then Chicago is a much bigger city so you really can't compare them, but you still have the hockey and baseball rivalries. I think St. Louisans get tired of their city being compared to Chicago just like Chicagoans get tired of their city being compared to New York. The Cardinals and Cubs (then called the Browns and White Sox) haven't faced each other in the postseason since the 1885 championship of the American Association. That year their "World Series" went 7 games and ended in a disputed tie.
    St. Louis and Cincinnati are similar cities (smaller cities on a river), but don't have much of a rivalry outside of baseball.

One thing the Cardinals Cubs and Yankees Red Sox rivalries have that Giants and Dodgers don't is that the first two rivalries never moved. The Giants and Dodgers left their first fanbases behind and developed new hatred in two new fanbases. Also the Cardinals and Yankees have quite a few more championships than their rivals. The Giants and Dodgers might be more vicious because their fanbases are younger and neither team really has bragging rights.
    Last edited by redbird89; 11-23-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerbluemmm24 View Post
    I don't think any American rivalry, in any sport, can touch what soccer (also cricket in say India) means to other countries. You don't have cities against each other, you have entire countries picking a side.

Country vs country rivalries like Spain vs Italy, Germany vs England/Netherlands, France vs England ect blow ANYTHING the US has to offer out of the water, and that's not getting into the EPL/ euro leagues either.
    I actually agree here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue french View Post
    Nobody in Europe cares about the World Series at all and nobody can give a single baseball player name since 1876.
    At least in France, and in England (I lived 2 years in London). It can be Yankees / Red Sox or Anchorrage/ Helena, same result, they watch footbal, sometimes basketball, tennis, and the Tour de France.
    Many of my students wear a fantasy Yankee cap...without even knowing who the Yankees are !
    lol, that's what i thought, i went to san diego state university, which has the highest percentage of international students and second highest percentage of students proficient in a second language, i had two roommates from Europe one was from Copenhagen the other from Stockholm neither knew crap about baseball, though i did take them to a Padres game on beer night(good times) they both watched soccer and even taught me some stuff about the game, and they both watched hockey with me.
    Btw why do you watch baseball? No one else does in Europe? Except maybe Holland.
    (also what do you teach?)

vCash
    lol, that's what i thought, i went to san diego state university, which has the highest percentage of international students and second highest percentage of students proficient in a second language, i had two roommates from Europe one was from Copenhagen the other from Stockholm neither knew crap about baseball, though i did take them to a Padres game on beer night(good times) they both watched soccer and even taught me some stuff about the game, and they both watched hockey with me.
    Btw why do you watch baseball? No one else does in Europe? Except maybe Holland.
    (also what do you teach?)
    Hi Ciaban,
    And you are still a Padres fan ? Must be tough. 5 years ago around they won the disvision and I wanted to post a congratulation message in their forum.... There was nobody !!!
    I am bleeding Blue since the 29th of JUly 1985. My late father worked in the USA and the family joined himfor summer vaccations. One game, one 10-85 victory versus old Vida Blue and the Giants. It was magical. No stadium in France at the time had a giant screen for instance.
    Their most feared hitter was Chili Davis at the time. Not that frightening compared with our Pedro Guerrero. Then not internet, no baseball on TV, I bought books, newspapers and videos and learned everything by myself.
    Holland and Italy have the 2 best teams in Europe, but far, far, far after socccer.
    I am teaching marketing and management to a high school. Then prepare them for the exam they must pass to enter university, schools, etc. And among 1,500 students, I have seen at least 25 Yankees Caps, all different, none the real one.
    10-4 record at Dodger stadium !
    1-0 road record

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    lol at Ciaban being a Padres fan. And how are the Dodgers and Giants fanbases younger, and without bragging rights?

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    I hate the dodgers since I could remember. Wild never strap a bomb or throw files of blood/urine at them some soccer should be out of this topic
    2010/2012 WORLD CHAMPIONS

vCash
    Mets and Marlins.... The battle for last place gets intense!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Mets and Marlins.... The battle for last place gets intense!
    not anymore now that miami has one MLB caliber player
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue french View Post
    Hi Ciaban,
    And you are still a Padres fan ? Must be tough. 5 years ago around they won the disvision and I wanted to post a congratulation message in their forum.... There was nobody !!!
    I am bleeding Blue since the 29th of JUly 1985. My late father worked in the USA and the family joined him for summer vaccations. One game, one 10-85 victory versus old Vida Blue and the Giants. It was magical. No stadium in France at the time had a giant screen for instance.
    Their most feared hitter was Chili Davis at the time. Not that frightening compared with our Pedro Guerrero. Then not internet, no baseball on TV, I bought books, newspapers and videos and learned everything by myself.
    Holland and Italy have the 2 best teams in Europe, but far, far, far after socccer.
    I am teaching marketing and management to a high school. Then prepare them for the exam they must pass to enter university, schools, etc. And among 1,500 students, I have seen at least 25 Yankees Caps, all different, none the real one.
    Lol i am a dodger fan through and through i was born in LA but grew up in San Jose which is the largest most populated most important city in the SF bay area, i just went to San Diego state for school.

Yeah my last name is Krommenhoek, which is the name of a small fishing village in Zeeland. I root for Holland in all the tournaments, and despite being a dodger fan i love me some Bert Byleven.

Also, that's interesting i studied that Marketing at San Diego State University.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Ciabatta Fryer
    i loved this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    not anymore now that miami has one MLB caliber player
    hey they got logan morrison too, and yunel escobar, and rickey nolasco, all of whom will be traded by opening day.

vCash
    California, man. The East Coast is cool, but the Yay is the mecca, feel me?

Anyways, the Giants-Dodgers have been around much longer and they are much more in depth to one another and even. Like old friends who keep up like that.
    Last edited by BayArea91; 11-29-2012 at 01:50 AM.

vCash
    No, I do not feel you.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Only they're not the big time team in the west .
    Big spenders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    No, I do not feel you.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    hey they got logan morrison too, and yunel escobar, and rickey nolasco, all of whom will be traded by opening day.
    true i gues si am jumping gun yet, since they ahvent offically be traded yet
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast