Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Considering that the Yankees and Red Sox are not only the two most popular teams in the country, but economically, their games make by far the most money.

And the Red Sox did win two championships last decade, and yes, the Yankees owned the Red Sox for the better part of a century, and the Red Sox winning last decade helps bring them closer to together. Their rivalry is easily the most popular one in baseball.

Sure, but that's not WHY the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is the greatest in baseball.

Why? How else do you want to measure the popularity of a rivalry?

If you ask anyone that isn't a Giants or Dodgers fan, they will automatically say, without hesitation, that the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry is the strongest in baseball. Even with the Red Sox not being so great right now, it's a very strong rivalry.

When was the last time a Dodgers/Giants game wasn't sold out?

October 2, 2012, under 35k fans.

Even with the Red Sox not winning 70 games this year, they haven't had under 35k fans at a Red Sox/Yankees game since Sept 2, 2001

I don't know how else you want to measure this, but people care more about Red Sox/Yankees games than they do about Dodgers/Giants games nationally.

The two most popular teams in baseball routinely play each other, it's going to be most watched games in the sport.
    you mean the last day of the season, when the dodgers were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, that day? Yeah, that's not very surprising.

Wait are you arguing for the popularity of a rivalry or the best rivalry, because the arguments your making sound like popularity is the only criteria, because if that's the case, the cards/cubs isn't really a rivalry as much as 18 games that get played, and that's it. No different from the Astro or Pirates games last year. Which i am totally fine with.

How about measuring it in terms of intensity and closeness or the records.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greedy22 View Post
    Actually, this is an opinion thread if you look back at the OP. Neither of you are wrong here.
    Whats everyone think is the better rivalry at the moment?
    this is what it says. Better not more popular.

Preparing for WAR! 5/3/14 Maidana vs Mayweather
    vCash
    If better, then SF/LA right now. More competitive, more history, and bigger names. The Dodgers falling on their face and the Red Sox becoming contenders again would most likely change that. And I wouldn't mind. Lord knows I don't want the Dodgers to be competitive.
    lol, please' top 10 p4p- Mayweather/Ward/Marquez/Pacquiao/Maidana/Rigondeaux/Froch/Cotto/B-Hop/Canelo
    Boxing fan? Come discuss Boxing!

"We are chasing greatness" Mark Jackson 3/7/14

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeezy View Post
    Duck the Fodgers.
    Well I think there are not many comments to add. I hope the Yankees/ Red Sox will stay a rivalry while in this forum, the Dodgers /Giants rivalry will be a contest of insult... at least in this forum only. Now I use the Phil Jackson Mr zen attitude, when I am insulted, I insult more. Sun Tse " the Art of war", use your opponennent weapons against him.

Otherwise I met in 25 years around 100 Giants fans for real, and they all were baseball lovers, of course laughing at me when the Dodgers were loosing and I was laughing at them when we were winning. And we drunk beers together.

Now the Giants are the reference, the team to beat. They became the Champions with a team without the highest payroll at all, and far less talented on paper than the Tigers. But team wins versus paper.

But I hope Yankees/ Red Sox keep the rivalry the American way, the baseball way. When you imagine a Giant fan was cowardly attacked in the car park after a game by a group of so called Dodgers fans. An insult for all real Dodger fans. If you have a problem with someone, you deal with it one on one !

No, Dodgers/Giants rivalry is becoming like the European soccer rivalry I hate so much... Death are coming soon like in Europe.

2 years ago after a soccer game in Paris, a fan was going to be killed, only because a was a Jew. He is still alive thanks to one of the most courageous policeman in the world, with one gun versus one hundred people protected him and risking his own life.

I am very, very afraid it could and will happen in your great country too, especially when fans are so proud to use as a signature "F.. the Dodgers". I don't say that person is a violent man, but it's not a way to write in a forum, at least not an adult, mature way.

And it starts like that, and ends with 2 500 policemen for each Dodgers/Giants games, like each football game Paris vs Marseille in France
    Last edited by Blue french; 11-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    10-4 record at Dodger stadium !
    1-0 road record

vCash
    I really don't believe there is another rivalry in sports that touches the Yankees and Red Sox. The closest thing would be the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs of hockey.

'America' get's giddy when the Cowboys/Eagles or Dodgers/Giants take the field, or Celtics/Knicks take the floor, but...

'The World' takes notice when the New York Yankees take on the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park or Yankees Stadium. No one touches this rivalry in any sport, it is GOLD.
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar

French Canadian Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    IMO there can't be a great rivalry if your playing the other team 18 times a year. It gets watered down.

Boston / NYY isn't what it used to be. The Bucky Dent game, the 2003/04 ALCS was great but other than that? Just two teams that take too long to play 9 innings of baseball.

Oh and if you're arguing that the world takes notice and best rivalry of all sports. Barcelona/Real Madrid is the biggest rivalry in sports and it isn't close compared to Boston/New York.

vCash
    The world? Ya right.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Sox Fan View Post

'The World' takes notice when the New York Yankees take on the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park or Yankees Stadium. No one touches this rivalry in any sport, it is GOLD.
    I don't think any American rivalry, in any sport, can touch what soccer (also cricket in say India) means to other countries. You don't have cities against each other, you have entire countries picking a side.

Country vs country rivalries like Spain vs Italy, Germany vs England/Netherlands, France vs England ect blow ANYTHING the US has to offer out of the water, and that's not getting into the EPL/ euro leagues either.

baseball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerbluemmm24 View Post
    I don't think any American rivalry, in any sport, can touch what soccer (also cricket in say India) means to other countries. You don't have cities against each other, you have entire countries picking a side.

Country vs country rivalries like Spain vs Italy, Germany vs England/Netherlands, France vs England ect blow ANYTHING the US has to offer out of the water, and that's not getting into the EPL/ euro leagues either.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    I don't watch soccer at all sorry. You'd think with a tiny ball and massive goal nets they'd find a way to score more than 3 times combined between 2 teams in an entire match. Instead I'd rather watch paint dry and wait for a drip to trickle down and touch the carpet. It's liable to happen more times than a goal in soccer and is just as exciting.
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar

French Canadian Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    Cool. The world still isn't watching the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry when it's on.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by keymax View Post
    IMO there can't be a great rivalry if your playing the other team 18 times a year. It gets watered down.

Boston / NYY isn't what it used to be. The Bucky Dent game, the 2003/04 ALCS was great but other than that? Just two teams that take too long to play 9 innings of baseball.

Oh and if you're arguing that the world takes notice and best rivalry of all sports. Barcelona/Real Madrid is the biggest rivalry in sports and it isn't close compared to Boston/New York.
    Yankees/Red Sox games were relatively irrelevant between 1979 and 1994.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid

vCash
    I know a few things about soccer as I attended around 50 games, and saw 500 on TV. It can be very hot, especially country versus country and very violent. But like Ice Hockey, the violence stays often on the field.
    But soccer kills too, or nearly. What happened to the poor Brian Stow, (I checked his internet site) happenned during the word cup in france in 1998. A policeman called Nivelle was nearly beaten to death by a group of neo nazis. See my pervious mail for another sadly famous incident.

This violence did not appear in one day. It starts by words and are never solved between men one to one, There are riots, burned cars, broken windows, then wounded people... and deaths And I am frigtened baseball is following the soccer exemple. Let's call it a rivalry, as long as we can do it. One day, rivalry will change into slaughters and we will have to find a new name for the Dodgers/Giants or Yankees/Red Sox "games"
    10-4 record at Dodger stadium !
    1-0 road record

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by keymax View Post

Well said

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue french View Post
    I know a few things about soccer as I attended around 50 games, and saw 500 on TV. It can be very hot, especially country versus country and very violent. But like Ice Hockey, the violence stays often on the field.
    But soccer kills too, or nearly. What happened to the poor Brian Stow, (I checked his internet site) happenned during the word cup in france in 1998. A policeman called Nivelle was nearly beaten to death by a group of neo nazis. See my pervious mail for another sadly famous incident.

This violence did not appear in one day. It starts by words and are never solved between men one to one, There are riots, burned cars, broken windows, then wounded people... and deaths And I am frigtened baseball is following the soccer exemple. Let's call it a rivalry, as long as we can do it. One day, rivalry will change into slaughters and we will have to find a new name for the Dodgers/Giants or Yankees/Red Sox "games"
    very well said french.
    Btw, Bo Sox Fan was saying that world takes notice when the rexdsox and yankees play, does anyone in europe really give a crap about the redsox and yankees?

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast