• Mike Piazza

8 57.14%
  • Jeff Bagwell

3 21.43%
  • None of them will get in

4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    vCash

Which one of these suspected steroid users will get in the HOF next year?

I realize that there is absolutely no evidence that Piazza or Bagwell juiced, however many people suspect them for whatever reason.
    Last edited by The Thing; 11-28-2012 at 09:23 PM.

vCash
    umm...... like you said, no evidence that either did anything illegal. Close thread. Simply stupid...........

anyways, they'll both get in i think.... Piazza obviously be get in easy on the first ballot. whats the point of making a thread with a question that has an obvious answer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    umm...... like you said, no evidence that either did anything illegal. Close thread. Simply stupid...........

anyways, they'll both get in i think.... Piazza obviously be get in easy on the first ballot. whats the point of making a thread with a question that has an obvious answer?
    Bagwell didn't get in, in his first two years.

Obviously suspicion is enough for some writers to vote no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thing View Post
    Bagwell didn't get in, in his first two years.

Obviously suspicion is enough for some writers to vote no.
    but you included Piazza which makes this thread stupid. OBVIOUSLY he's in on the first ballot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    but you included Piazza which makes this thread stupid. OBVIOUSLY he's in on the first ballot.

Look at Bagwell's case.

Don't be so sure.

vCash
    Theres already a HOF thread.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Didn't vote Piazza becasue I don't think he counts, so I voted Bonds just because he was still one of the best hitters the game has, and will ever, see.

vCash
    none this year
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I love how Biggio isn't on this list, but Bagwell is

vCash
    All of them should be in, the majority as first ballot. Some are arguably the GOATs at their positions, and one is arguably the greatest ever.

I saw we vote again on pre-Jackie players. Not competing against blacks and Hispanics is a PED.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    All of them should be in, the majority as first ballot. Some are arguably the GOATs at their positions, and one is arguably the greatest ever.

I saw we vote again on pre-Jackie players. Not competing against blacks and Hispanics is a PED.
    I'm okay with Palmerio, Sosa, and McGwire being held out.

They are all borderline anyway value-wise, PED years are their main production years for them.

Bagwell, Piazza, Clemens, Bonds, etc. These are hall of famers any way. They are clearly above borderline.

I'm not saying necessarily my personal beliefs here. I am saying what will happen.

That's why this thread wasn't merged with the current stickied one. This is asking what WILL happen, not what I feel.

I think only Bagwell and Piazza get in on this ballot

vCash
    http://bostonglobe.com/2012/11/28/ti...vbK/story.html

Here is what the Hall of Fame ballot says when it arrives in the mail: “Voting shall be based upon the player’s record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.”

That’s it.

Ideally there would be a list of those players who used performance-enhancing drugs, the dates they used them and a detailed statistical analysis of whether the drugs in fact enhanced their performance.

There’s not, of course. You have to guess. In some cases, it’s pretty easy. In others, it’s pretty hard. In some cases, you have no idea whatsoever.

Related
    Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, Schilling now on ballot
    Cafardo: Marvin Miller belongs in Hall

This will be my third year voting. In my first year, I mustered up a mighty wave of self righteousness and decided that no player I suspected of using PEDs would get my vote. I’ll show them.

Last year I moved my line and decided that unless there was some kind of tangible connection to PEDs, I would consider voting for a player. I changed because of Jeff Bagwell, a guy who sure looked the part of a drug user but was never linked to it. It seemed unfair to exclude him based only on suspicion.

Now I’ve decided to erase the line completely.

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens (both of whom will be on the ballot for the first time Wednesday), and the rest of the scoundrels will get my vote. I’ll look at the players based on their statistical merit, how they compared to other players of their era and to other players in the Hall of Fame. I won’t sit at my desk and do Google searches to decide who is clean and who was cheating.

If you think that is a cowardly way out, I can’t argue with you. But it beats stabbing around in the dark and hoping to be right.

It is my belief taking steroids or other performance enhancing drugs is cheating. If you have to obtain prescription drugs illegally, you’re breaking the law of the land. Whether that happened to be a baseball rule or not is insignificant.

The first day Bonds stuck a needle in his buttocks, he didn’t tell everybody. He knew what he was doing was wrong.

But it’s also my belief that the Hall of Fame is a reflection of baseball history. There was a period in baseball when blacks were banned. There were 16 teams in 1920 and now there are 30. There was a Dead Ball Era. There was a time that pitchers were so dominant that they lowered the mound. There wasn’t a DH until 1973. You can go on and on about how much the game has changed.

The Steroid Era is a part of that of history, too. There was a time in baseball when everybody — owners, players, management, the Players Association, media — looked the other way at drug use. It was generally accepted that a lot of players took steroids.

There was no testing, just balls getting launched into the atmosphere at historic rates and scrubby pitchers who showed up in spring training suddenly throwing 95-mph fastballs.

Some of players got caught. They got their drugs from a small-time dealer named Kirk Radomski, a clubhouse attendant with the Mets who ratted them out. Clemens allegedly fell in with Brian McNamee, a former cop who proclaimed himself a trainer.

But other players were smarter and kept their secrets hidden. The Hall of Fame shouldn’t be determined by who covered up their wrongdoing the most effectively. If so, then what is the point?

Then there is this: Clemens was ridiculously good for 13 year with the Red Sox. Then, if you believe McNamee, he started using PEDs when he got to Toronto in 1997. So is Clemens out because of some moral code or is he in based on those first 13 years?

What of the guy like Andy Pettitte, who swears he tried HGH only briefly? Is he excluded when he gets in the ballot?

Are amphetamines OK because the players back in the 50s used them? Is Ryan Braun in or out because he figured out a loophole in the testing system last winter when he tested positive?

Sorry, but I’m in no position to decide all that. The Hall of Fame is a wing in a museum, a place to go learn about the game. PEDs were part of the game and my ballot will reflect that.