Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Posting fees debate

I doubt anyone on here would take this thread seriously, but I want to have this debate.

I have been constantly disgusted by the ridiculous numbers that are coming out in regards to posting fees for international players...so if teams are willing to throw around 26 million for a Korean starting pitcher that we have never seen pitch before, and 51.7 million for a Japanese starting pitcher to come over here to only be good for 2/3 years of a 5 year contract...Why dont we have a new player agreement, where teams like the Tampa Bay Rays can post a player like Evan Longoria...then teams like the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees can come along and bid (and pay) 60 million to the Tampa Bay Rays to negotiate with him (like they do with International Players)..and if Evan Longoria likes the contract he receives from the top bidder then the top bidder can actually sign that particular player.

I am just throwing this idea out there....because if teams are willing to pay for international talent, why not pay for it at home????

vCash
    We are going to have an international draft here soon, so the point will be moot

vCash
    these players from Japan/Korea/ect should not be able to just be bought. lower market teams have no chance. any of these players over there should have to be eligible for the draft at the same time as other players are drafted.
    and even if player X is drafted and decides to continue to play for a team over there, the team that drafted him will continue to hold the rights to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    We are going to have an international draft here soon, so the point will be moot
    i don't know if the international draft will affect these types of signings, these Asian players teams post them, so if they aren't going to get a cut, then we will have to wait for them to hit free agency, which in Japan they have to play 10 years to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    these players from Japan/Korea/ect should not be able to just be bought. lower market teams have no chance. any of these players over there should have to be eligible for the draft at the same time as other players are drafted.
    and even if player X is drafted and decides to continue to play for a team over there, the team that drafted him will continue to hold the rights to him.
    I doubt Asian teams would let them go if that were the case. I'm not sure on the particulars but I'm guessing it's much harder to leave countries like that than it is here. I suppose all 30 teams could pool money for a joint posting fee that allows a player to be drafted, but I doubt every team would be on board if they didn't think a player was worth drafting or they couldn't get him. I think it's the best of several bad solutions.
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    so what i am hearing is that big pay roll teams have an advantage over small market teams?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    I doubt Asian teams would let them go if that were the case. I'm not sure on the particulars but I'm guessing it's much harder to leave countries like that than it is here. I suppose all 30 teams could pool money for a joint posting fee that allows a player to be drafted, but I doubt every team would be on board if they didn't think a player was worth drafting or they couldn't get him. I think it's the best of several bad solutions.
    exactly, why would these team bother letting the players walk to the US in the middle of their contract without getting compensated.

vCash
    the teams don't have to let the players come while still under contract. but it stops the teams with the most money from being able to just spend whatever they want. these players from over there have to be drafted. if team A drafts player X and he is still under contract then his team doesn't have to let him come over. but that team will have to accept only whatever fee that team has to pay, and only that team. once that players contract is up, his rights are still owned by the team that drafted him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scottythegreat1 View Post
    I doubt anyone on here would take this thread seriously, but I want to have this debate.

I have been constantly disgusted by the ridiculous numbers that are coming out in regards to posting fees for international players...so if teams are willing to throw around 26 million for a Korean starting pitcher that we have never seen pitch before, and 51.7 million for a Japanese starting pitcher to come over here to only be good for 2/3 years of a 5 year contract...Why dont we have a new player agreement, where teams like the Tampa Bay Rays can post a player like Evan Longoria...then teams like the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees can come along and bid (and pay) 60 million to the Tampa Bay Rays to negotiate with him (like they do with International Players)..and if Evan Longoria likes the contract he receives from the top bidder then the top bidder can actually sign that particular player.

I am just throwing this idea out there....because if teams are willing to pay for international talent, why not pay for it at home????
    I thought you meant fees for posting on the forum.

$1.00 per reply.
    $10.00 to open a thread.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash
    Really? When is this supposed to go into effect?

vCash
    a posting fee is basically like a trade, so i see no problem with it since people who are posted are udner contract in japan
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    i think he means when the next CBA is negotiated.

vCash
    the teams don't have to let the players come while still under contract. but it stops the teams with the most money from being able to just spend whatever they want. these players from over there have to be drafted. if team A drafts player X and he is still under contract then his team doesn't have to let him come over. but that team will have to accept only whatever fee that team has to pay, and only that team. once that players contract is up, his rights are still owned by the team that drafted him.
    lets say the A's draft someone from a Japanese team, and they are unwilling to pay more than a million for the right to the contract, the team just wont let the player leave,

The system we have is bad, but it is better than the alternatives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    Not until after the next CBA of course, but it's coming

vCash
    Not until after the next CBA of course, but it's coming
    it just wont affect these signings that go on between MLB and pro Korean/Japanese teams.