Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    If they are under the cap in Year 1, the Yankees pay no luxury tax, so they save 50% in Yr 1, then in YR 2 save the difference between 50% and 17%, which is 33% savings, then in year 3 save the difference between 50% and 30% which is 20% savings, then in year 4, the difference between 50% and 40%, which is a 10% savings. So over a 4 year period 50% +33% +20% +10% = 113% over 4 years Then they can reset back to zero again and start those same savings all over again. Of course, they could reset in the middle of the time frame. Also, in addition to the salary cap penalties, I believe that there might also be non-financial penalties for being over 50% 2 or more years in a row. one good point is that the salary cap will also climb each year from the $189 K.
    Ok, first, your math is highly against acceptable principles. You cannot add percentages together to get a total. Percentages are multipliers, and to get a total you need to have the other variables in place. Like, 50% of what? Since we are not there yet, we cannot answer.

Now, just looking at 2012 in context, the Yanks spent like 206 mil, with the threshold around 178. That is ~28 million over the threshold. At the 17% rate, the yanks would pay and extra 28*$170,000=4.7 million... now those same numbers using 50% would be 14 million... almost a $10 million difference... to put that in perspective... that is the money to pay a player in the range of hiroki kuroda range, just thrown away with nothing to show for it.

I am sure management has tossed a few numbers around and realized that getting under for 2014, resets as well all know, but before the next 5 year window is up, a few of the bigger contracts will also fall off the table (ARod, CC, Tex...etc) making it even easier to get below the threshold again.

vCash
    if you guys are interested in starters for only one year, it looks like the dodgers will have extras, Capuano, Harang and Lilly, none of which will cost that much to aquire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    if you guys are interested in starters for only one year, it looks like the dodgers will have extras, Capuano, Harang and Lilly, none of which will cost that much to aquire.
    I'd rather Pineda pitches lefty.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    They should trade A-Rod. It makes no sense keeping him around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeter 2 View Post
    Easier said than done.

vCash
    1. Trade him for what?

2. What viable options are out there at 3B?

3. He has a no trade clause that he most likely wouldn't waive.

4. Yankees would have to eat most of his contract, if not all of it, then have to sign another 3B. So from a financial standpoint, it wouldn't make sense trading him.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    Ok, first, your math is highly against acceptable principles. You cannot add percentages together to get a total. Percentages are multipliers, and to get a total you need to have the other variables in place. Like, 50% of what? Since we are not there yet, we cannot answer.

Now, just looking at 2012 in context, the Yanks spent like 206 mil, with the threshold around 178. That is ~28 million over the threshold. At the 17% rate, the yanks would pay and extra 28*$170,000=4.7 million... now those same numbers using 50% would be 14 million... almost a $10 million difference... to put that in perspective... that is the money to pay a player in the range of hiroki kuroda range, just thrown away with nothing to show for it.

I am sure management has tossed a few numbers around and realized that getting under for 2014, resets as well all know, but before the next 5 year window is up, a few of the bigger contracts will also fall off the table (ARod, CC, Tex...etc) making it even easier to get below the threshold again.
    The math was supposed to be taken as 113% over a 4 year period or an average of an extra 28% per year. Your difference of 33% between 50% and 17% approximates this figure. One other note is that the first year is under the cap, so there is no luxury tax, so the entire 14 million disappears, not just the $10 million and that figure is low, because you used a $206 million payroll. Remember that it is the entire payroll of the 40 man roster plus all bonuses and incentives paid. According to ESPN, the current 2012 Yankees salaries after removing their 14 free agents, including removing Swisher, Kuroda,Pettite, Martin, Soriano, etc. is still $196 million!!!!

When the labor agreement was signed, the Yankees / Cashman calculated the luxury tax penalty / savings to come out to be approximately $50 million over the 3 year period just by getting down to $189 million the first year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries...w-york-yankees

In any case, it is a lot of money.

vCash
    ^ u read that wrong. The $196m was in 2012.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    and it makes no sens esaying we should trade him. he has a inmoveable contract and a full no trade clause. he's not going anywhere
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    So................................when are we getting rid of Cano's salary/anticipated salary?????????????

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    1. Trade him for what?

2. What viable options are out there at 3B?

3. He has a no trade clause that he most likely wouldn't waive.

4. Yankees would have to eat most of his contract, if not all of it, then have to sign another 3B. So from a financial standpoint, it wouldn't make sense trading him.
    Your post makes too much sense for anyone to respond. They'll just post their "trade ARod" idea in another thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Your post makes too much sense for anyone to respond. They'll just post their "trade ARod" idea in another thread.
    i can't even name 10 better 3rd basemen. His salary also decreases every year based on his decline.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTK9lvkCQg

My tribute to edwin Encarrrrnacioooooon...... Been an amazing fantasy replacement whle arod was hurt

vCash
    I have no problem w Arod as a player. But I feel the circus atmosphere that always finds him crushes his mental focus in big spots, rendering him useless.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Dunn View Post
    sure they can. It's just difficult when 120 of it is already committed to trash.
    You nailed it right on the head here. They still need to sign 18-19 guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Sure they will win..But around here, as you might have heard, we are used to championships and interesting off-seasons full of big signings..

And why does an offseason full of dull scrap heap, bargain-type FA signings mean we can't or won't win? Did it last year, and made it to the 2nd round, right?
    I get it my friend. But when I use the word "win", I mean a WS. Not a good team with a winning record in the playoffs. Cuz after all, there really is only one winner at the end of the day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast