Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    No more Swisher :cry:

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    No more Swisher :cry:
    For the record, I called this back in May 2012.

I also foresee me getting laid tonight.

Actually, its 1:30 am and I'm waiting........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootamis91 View Post
    just something to think about if you are a fan and hate this idea of not giving out multiyear contracts out to this years free agent class. The Yankees if Soriano,Swisher,Kuroda sign else where the Yankees will have 4 picks in the 1st round of the draft. 4 more good prospects in the system with a very good chance that at least 2 of them are impact players
    We will be lucky if one of those guys ever makes it to the bigs.

vCash
    I'd still like to see someone show me how the team can do this plan, replace C, 2B, SS, CF, RF, DH, #2-4 SP next offseason (with more one year deal guys) and still field a competitive team the next couple years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    The Yankees have approached Tori Hunter with only a one-year deal. So if the Dodgers or others are willing to go to two years, the Yankees probably aren't going to be signing Hunter unless a trade freeing up payroll precedes the deal.
    Austerity measures are in effect...
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    If the way I understand the loophole in the luxury tax is correct, it's the smart play by the yanks.

I believe that 2014 represents the 5th year in a row ( or something like that) that the Yanks would be over the threshold. If they do stay over, the tax penalty skyrockets to 50% or some crap......if they go under for only one year, it drops to like 14% for the next five.

My numbers are probably off, but that's the general gig.

Hence, a HUGE deal to be under $189m in 2014.
    It is not a loophole. The system was designed that way, but your interpretation and numders are wrong.

By resetting the penalty in 2013, the Yankees will pay 22.5% tax in 2014 if they exceed the threshhold. For starters, that is a substantial number. Second, if they go over again within that five year window it jumps to 30% and then 40% if they go over a third time from 2014 to 2018.

Basically, to avoid additional penalties of 30 and 40%, the Yankees can only go above the threshhold once every 5 years.

Im not 100% sure my interpretation is correct...but Im 98% sure. Ive researched this on 3 occassions.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-11-2012 at 05:51 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    It is not a loophole. The system was designed that way, but your interpretation and numders are wrong.

By resetting the penalty in 2013, the Yankees will pay 22.5% tax in 2014 if they exceed the threshhold. For starters, that is a substantial number. Second, if they go over again within that five year window it jumps to 30% and then 40% if they go over a third time from 2014 to 2018.

Basically, to avoid additional penalties of 30 and 40%, the Yankees can only go above the threshhold once every 5 years.

Im not 100% sure my interpretation is correct...but Im 98% sure. Ive researched this on 3 occassions.
    I think it's the opposite. They only have to be under once every five years to avoid that giant tax hike.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    I'd still like to see someone show me how the team can do this plan, replace C, 2B, SS, CF, RF, DH, #2-4 SP next offseason (with more one year deal guys) and still field a competitive team the next couple years.
    Easy.
    C-Martin on a cheap 3year deal. After flopping during the season, i can see 3yr- at 7or8 annually.
    2b-Cano (if traded then Adams of Puppy). Maybe bring in a guy like Kepplinger.
    SS- Jeter until he dies
    RF- Dickerson, Itchy, Ibanez
    DH- Rotation of Arod, Tex, Chavez, whoever.
    Pitching- you have to go with the young guns.. Phelps, Hughes, Nova and maybe try Joba again.

Still have Grandy, Tex in the line up. Gardner is serviceable. CC is an work horse. Kuroda and Andy still in play.

Before being critical, look at what the Giants, Rays and the Os field.

vCash
    Going back to those numbers above, all told, the Yankees account for a whopping 95 percent of the total. Here’s a key provision within the CBA that hits NYY.
    (b) For a Club that has an Actual Club Payroll above the Tax Threshold in the 2013, 2014, 2015, or 2016 Contract Year, the applicable Competitive Balance Tax rate shall be:
    (i) 17.5% if the Club did not exceed the Tax Threshold in the preceding Contract Year;
    (ii) 30% if the Club’s Competitive Balance Tax rate in the preceding Contract Year was 17.5% or 20%;
    (iii) 40% if the Club’s Competitive Balance Tax rate in the preceding Contract Year was 30%; and
    (iv) 50% if the Club’s Competitive Balance Tax rate in the preceding Contract Year was 40, 42.5%, or 50%.
    That 50 percent rate is an up-tick from the rates in the prior labor agreement and something that the Yankees are surely aware of. What’s the target for the Bronx Bombers? That $189 million threshold number that tops out at the end of the labor agreement.
    "I'm looking at is as a goal,'' Steinbrenner said to ESPNNewYork.com, "and my goals are normally considered a requirement.''
    no frills, no avatars, nothing but pure unadulterated yankee talk mixed in with some sox hatred....

vCash
    Going back to those numbers above, all told, the Yankees account for a whopping 95 percent of the total. Here’s a key provision within the CBA that hits NYY.
    (b) For a Club that has an Actual Club Payroll above the Tax Threshold in the 2013, 2014, 2015, or 2016 Contract Year, the applicable Competitive Balance Tax rate shall be:
    (i) 17.5% if the Club did not exceed the Tax Threshold in the preceding Contract Year;
    (ii) 30% if the Club’s Competitive Balance Tax rate in the preceding Contract Year was 17.5% or 20%;
    (iii) 40% if the Club’s Competitive Balance Tax rate in the preceding Contract Year was 30%; and
    (iv) 50% if the Club’s Competitive Balance Tax rate in the preceding Contract Year was 40, 42.5%, or 50%.
    That 50 percent rate is an up-tick from the rates in the prior labor agreement and something that the Yankees are surely aware of. What’s the target for the Bronx Bombers? That $189 million threshold number that tops out at the end of the labor agreement.
    "I'm looking at is as a goal,'' Steinbrenner said to ESPNNewYork.com, "and my goals are normally considered a requirement.''
    no frills, no avatars, nothing but pure unadulterated yankee talk mixed in with some sox hatred....

vCash
    So tell me why we don't take a flier on Melky. He's going to get a 1 year make good kind of deal. Can't hurt... he'd love to come back and prove himself, if it's possible without juicing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PACISLE View Post
    Easy.
    C-Martin on a cheap 3year deal. After flopping during the season, i can see 3yr- at 7or8 annually.
    2b-Cano (if traded then Adams of Puppy). Maybe bring in a guy like Kepplinger.
    SS- Jeter until he dies
    RF- Dickerson, Itchy, Ibanez
    DH- Rotation of Arod, Tex, Chavez, whoever.
    Pitching- you have to go with the young guns.. Phelps, Hughes, Nova and maybe try Joba again.

Still have Grandy, Tex in the line up. Gardner is serviceable. CC is an work horse. Kuroda and Andy still in play.

Before being critical, look at what the Giants, Rays and the Os field.
    This certainly keeps the payroll under 189M. It fails the "fielding a competitive team" part though.

If you look at the Giants, Rays and Os all I see is they field a better team then this.

vCash
    The Boss would have never tried to fit into this luxury tax ********. Sure he made some bonehead decisions, but at least he always put his money into the team. Hank and Hal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carljam1 View Post
    The Boss would have never tried to fit into this luxury tax ********. Sure he made some bonehead decisions, but at least he always put his money into the team. Hank and Hal
    Not adhering to the luxury tax threshold will hurt this team moving forward and handcuff them even more on financial flexibility. It's the right thing to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    Not adhering to the luxury tax threshold will hurt this team moving forward and handcuff them even more on financial flexibility. It's the right thing to do.
    How does this hold us back? The money just comes out of the owner's pockets.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast