Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Yankee Brass Notifies Agents- No Multiyear Deals

According to Tim Briwn of Yahoo, inquiring agents have been notified that the Yankees will not offer any contracts beyond this season in an effort to curtail significant spending for 2014. The Yankees only need to be under the $189m luxury tax threshold for that one season to avoid the significant jump in luxury penalties.

If this is legit, I guess we need to get ready for a dull offseason of one year scrap heapers.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    The Yankees have approached Tori Hunter with only a one-year deal. So if the Dodgers or others are willing to go to two years, the Yankees probably aren't going to be signing Hunter unless a trade freeing up payroll precedes the deal.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    The Yankees have approached Tori Hunter with only a one-year deal. So if the Dodgers or others are willing to go to two years, the Yankees probably aren't going to be signing Hunter unless a trade freeing up payroll precedes the deal.
    to be honest this is a good thing, i'm happy to hear this. It's only one year we have to be under.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTK9lvkCQg

My tribute to edwin Encarrrrnacioooooon...... Been an amazing fantasy replacement whle arod was hurt

vCash
    I don't get how one year deals helps the team get under the budget for 2014 anyway. Unless they plan on throwing a ton of minor leaguers out there no matter what.

Next offseason the Yankees will have holes at C, 2B, SS, RF, CF, DH, #2, #3, #4 starters if they stick to one year deals for everyone. That'll be fun to try and handle while also staying under the budget.

Not saying they should be giving a Hunter or Ichiro two years, but if theres a younger guy they like they shouldn't be worried about giving more than one year.

vCash
    this is great to here no bad contracts will be handed out for the Yankees. there are alot of guys looking to rebuild their value so this could be a blessing in disguise for the Yankees

Yankees Offseason Wishlist

1. Trade 2 of Mccann,Beltran,Texeria,CC,Tanaka
    2. Resign Robertson
    3. Sign Andrew Miller
    4. Sign 1 of Fernandez or Shields

vCash
    If the way I understand the loophole in the luxury tax is correct, it's the smart play by the yanks.

I believe that 2014 represents the 5th year in a row ( or something like that) that the Yanks would be over the threshold. If they do stay over, the tax penalty skyrockets to 50% or some crap......if they go under for only one year, it drops to like 14% for the next five.

My numbers are probably off, but that's the general gig.

Hence, a HUGE deal to be under $189m in 2014.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    I love everyone agreeing with the Yankees staying under $$189 million.. I don't know my exact feelings yet, I'm still trying to get used to it actually, but I do know one thing.. The large majority of you who agree with the Yankees now being financially "smart" will be *****ing the second we don't make the playoffs.

It's simple we have about $110 million dedicated to 6 players... This team isn't going to get much better with these 1 year contracts. Also don't forget we are stuck with some of these players for a longgg time... Looks like tomorrow will be a lot like today.

Dodger's fan talking to a bitter Red Sox fan after "the" trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmu15 View Post
    Look at the bright side, your great, great, great grandkids will get to see a boston world series in another hundred years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pear1jamten View Post
    I love everyone agreeing with the Yankees staying under $$189 million.. I don't know my exact feelings yet, I'm still trying to get used to it actually, but I do know one thing.. The large majority of you who agree with the Yankees now being financially "smart" will be *****ing the second we don't make the playoffs.

It's simple we have about $110 million dedicated to 6 players... This team isn't going to get much better with these 1 year contracts. Also don't forget we are stuck with some of these players for a longgg time... Looks like tomorrow will be a lot like today.
    It's a TON of money if we're not under the cap for that one year. But we can do that without being stupid.

vCash
    I'm fine with this. It opens up flexibility for us to talk about trades and ways the Yankees can improve on the cheap.

Outfielders like Ichiro Suzuki, Scott Hairston, Juan Rivera, Reed Johnson, Jason Bay, and Grady Sizemore are names to consider because they just became realistic targets.

Reclamation project pitchers like Dallas Braden, Scott Baker, Fausto Carmona, Joe Blanton, or Tim Stauffer all seem to fit the bill. ( Carl Pavano and Javier Vazquez are also Free Agents )

And in the bullpen, I'm upset if this takes us out of the Joakim Soria sweepstakes but a lot of relievers will look to rebuild value and take one year deals, so no harm or foul done there.

Last year, Ibanez and Chavez were one year deals and they contributed in big ways. I'm perfectly fine with this mentality if it means a big 2013-2014 Offseason. This is a weak market anyway.
    Last edited by DerekJeterDan; 11-10-2012 at 09:11 PM.

vCash
    yankees can still contend with a 189 million dollar pay roll, short term it sucks but long term it kicks ***. I'm all for it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTK9lvkCQg

My tribute to edwin Encarrrrnacioooooon...... Been an amazing fantasy replacement whle arod was hurt

vCash
    It's funny, cause if Pineda didn't get hurt, this situation could be completely different. I think cash thought that was his Multiyear top pitcher that would be cheap for a few years.

Now we have to play the Kuroda Derby, which we will lose.

I'm good with

CC Andy Hughes nova phelps plus some vet backups in the mix for a year or two.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    It's funny, cause if Pineda didn't get hurt, this situation could be completely different. I think cash thought that was his Multiyear top pitcher that would be cheap for a few years.

Now we have to play the Kuroda Derby, which we will lose.

I'm good with

CC Andy Hughes nova phelps plus some vet backups in the mix for a year or two.
    Nova sucks. Hughes sucks. Phelps probably sucks. Andy is good but older.
    Maybe they can convert Joba into a starter! We could always get Phil Coke back.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash
    Only exception may be Martin.......this isn't shocking. Do the math....
    1B - Tex
    2B - Cano
    SS - Jeter
    3B - Arod
    LF - Gardner (w some 1 Year platoon opt)
    CF - Grandy
    RF - Ichiro on a 1 Year deal (w maybe some platoon opt at 1 yr)

SP - CC, Hughes, Phelps/Nova......they will offer Kuroda, Pettitte 1 Yr deals
    MO on 1 year.....no RP worth more then that

bench: 1 year deals

Martin is the ONLY one they may have to bend on to get him back

vCash
    The Yankees actually need to be under the 189 million dollar threshold for two seasons for the full lowering of there taxes. I'll post details when I'm near a computer.

vCash
    just something to think about if you are a fan and hate this idea of not giving out multiyear contracts out to this years free agent class. The Yankees if Soriano,Swisher,Kuroda sign else where the Yankees will have 4 picks in the 1st round of the draft. 4 more good prospects in the system with a very good chance that at least 2 of them are impact players

Yankees Offseason Wishlist

1. Trade 2 of Mccann,Beltran,Texeria,CC,Tanaka
    2. Resign Robertson
    3. Sign Andrew Miller
    4. Sign 1 of Fernandez or Shields

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast