Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Torii Hunter told CBSSports.com's Scott Miller that he feels like he's being recruited.

Tuesday, the free-agent outfielder made an official visit.

Hunter was in Detroit to meet with Tigers officials, sources confirmed to CBSSports.com. The Tigers hadn't yet made an official contract offer, as of Monday, but it's possible that could come as part of the visit.

"He wants to play there," said one source who has spoken with Hunter.

Hunter told Miller that he only wants a contract that is "fair," but it's expected that his side will look at Carlos Beltran's two-year, $26 million deal with the Cardinals as a fair comparison for an All-Star outfielder in his mid-30s.

The Tigers badly want to sign Hunter, who they see as a perfect fit in the outfield, in their lineup (where he would likely bat second, behind Austin Jackson and in front of Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez), and in the clubhouse, where he would be a great influence on Fielder, Jackson and others.

Hunter has said that he expects to sign soon. The visit to Detroit could be a step towards getting something done quickly with the Tigers, who have emerged as the clear favorite for his services.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/da...-to-play-there

If true, this is all but done at this point. Just working out minor contract details probably.

vCash
    Hope this gets done, but I hate hearing we're the clear favorites, that's always a jinx.

vCash
    Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick

Torii Hunter visited #tigers today. Left Detroit with no deal and no official offer, source says.

vCash
    I would like to get this guy but lets not expect a lot from him.. He is at the bottom of his career and offensively his power numbers were down last year.

But with that being said he would provide a good bat in the 2 hole with some speed and he also gives the Tigers a great glove in the outfield so this would be a huge upgrade over Delmon.... Lets bring him aboard!!!

vCash
    Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com was told by a source that Torii Hunter "wants to play" with the Tigers.
    Hunter was in Detroit on Tuesday to meet with Tigers officials. The club has yet to make him an official contract offer, but it's possible he could get one during his visit. The 37-year-old outfielder has reportedly drawn interest from upwards of 13-14 major league teams and is fully expected to land a multi-year deal.
    rotoworld

vCash
    multi?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    multi?
    Any more than 3 would be a mistake. The numbers being floated around are something like 2 years $26M, which works for me.

vCash
    2 years seems to be the thing reported the most.

vCash
    I read somewhere he wants to play for three more years, so 2 years guaranteed, with some kind of vesting option for a third year would be my best guess.
    #teamboom4life

MLB: Tigers
    NFL: Lions
    NHL: Red Wings
    CFB(Div I): Michigan
    CFB(Div II): Hillsdale

vCash
    Torii Hunter just followed Verlander and Miggy on twitter,

vCash
    The idea is very intriguing. He's a proven hitter, a golden glover and would provide veteran leadership. But is a corner outfielder really our most pressing need? Dirks hit .322 and Garcia hit .319. They are both young with tremendous potential. I'm just wondering if the money would be better spent on a closer or another starting pitcher. Thoughts?

"Lions, Tigers and Pistons, OH MY!" (and Hoosiers...and Redwings....)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iu92grad View Post
    The idea is very intriguing. He's a proven hitter, a golden glover and would provide veteran leadership. But is a corner outfielder really our most pressing need? Dirks hit .322 and Garcia hit .319. They are both young with tremendous potential. I'm just wondering if the money would be better spent on a closer or another starting pitcher. Thoughts?
    Garcia hit that platooning against lefties, don't get too excited.

vCash
    Garcia hit with no power and his plate discipline is pretty bad which is why he only played against lefties. He needs to get lots of AB to improve so he should start in AA or AAA next season. The FO has stated all last season that they don't view Dirks as a starter so they want to upgrade corner OF spots. LF/RF is definitely the biggest need this offseason, unless you think it's SS (which I understand but don't think it's reasonable to upgrade when nothing is available). IMO, the biggest needs are:

CO
    Bull Pen
    Starting Pitching
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick

Baseball isn't like football free agency where you sign on the first trip you go on. He probably came in to see the facility, meet some people, and possibly take a physical. His agents will take care of the rest. He will probably still visit Texas and possibly New York. In the end, he will be a Tiger no later then Thanksgiving.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zander 77 View Post
    I read somewhere he wants to play for three more years, so 2 years guaranteed, with some kind of vesting option for a third year would be my best guess.
    Nah!!!
    Think similar to Gary Sheffield.... remember him?

BTW - Gary is still under Tigers payroll. One million per year through 2016.
    You won't find that payment at places like Cots. Deferred payments aren't listed at 2nd/3rd party MLB websites.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast