Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,781
    vCash
    1500

    Wheeler & Burris

    Talk about a complete turnaround. One moment (Atlanta, KC) they're playing great ball, the next (Tampa Bay, Baltimore) they're getting spanked.

    Nobody on this defense is playing consistent ball. You can forget the big paycheck for Wheeler, or start claiming how Burris is so great.....We gotta get this ship turned around. How do they get it done ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,500
    vCash
    1500

    Wheeler & Burris

    I was never on his bandwagon , why? Because he was a back-up from Indy for a reason. His efforts are admirable, but he is not a full timer. We still need lbs.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,732
    vCash
    1500
    Defensive line ain't doin' much either...enough blame to go around..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,100
    vCash
    1500
    Neither tackles well, i may be one of the few but i think wheeler is a backup at best. Burris could develop into a good player, we need a leader at Mlb

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15,443
    vCash
    1500
    Both men have helped improve the run defense dramatically.

    Our understanding of the run defense's improvement will be skewed all year due to the games against Miami and Tampa Bay. Those two performances will make the Raiders look far worse statistically then they have actually been.

    The defensive woes are mostly in pass coverage, which is a combination of not getting enough pressure from the D/L and not getting enough coverage from the DB's.

    Burris and Wheeler are good players. If you hold them to the standard of greatness, they fail - but that should be obvious. If you hold them to the standard of 'good' - solid, unspectacular but steady in performance - they pass with flying colors.

    People need to stop making Clark Kent's into Supermen. These are players are good - not great. They will perform well, not spectacularly.

    They are also the least of this team's concerns moving forward.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    928
    vCash
    1500
    After getting burned in the run game last week, they tried to cheat in the run game, and that worked, however, the OC for Baltimore figured that out and made them pay dearly especially over the middle deep. Just the fact that they had to do that indicates weakness at certain positions. I just think that unless they get some decent corners, these problems are going to continue. It doesn't get any easier next week. The Saints are going to school on what happened in Baltimore. Next week is going to be a problem with the quick passing game of the Saints. All of the games they've lost was because of poor pass defense period.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,505
    vCash
    1500
    It's a shame how not one damn guy has a solidified spot as a starter.. Gunna be a lot of new faces battling to be on the field every Sunday come off season

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    Both men have helped improve the run defense dramatically.

    Our understanding of the run defense's improvement will be skewed all year due to the games against Miami and Tampa Bay. Those two performances will make the Raiders look far worse statistically then they have actually been.

    The defensive woes are mostly in pass coverage, which is a combination of not getting enough pressure from the D/L and not getting enough coverage from the DB's.

    Burris and Wheeler are good players. If you hold them to the standard of greatness, they fail - but that should be obvious. If you hold them to the standard of 'good' - solid, unspectacular but steady in performance - they pass with flying colors.

    People need to stop making Clark Kent's into Supermen. These are players are good - not great. They will perform well, not spectacularly.

    They are also the least of this team's concerns moving forward.
    x2 and lets remember Burris is a rookie. He is going to make mistakes and for his limited time in the NFL is a definite bright spot on the Raiders D.


    "The greatness of the Raiders is in the future..." ~ Al Davis

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fremont, Ca
    Posts
    8,735
    vCash
    500
    burris is the only guy who shouldn't be on the bubble. hes a rook, a 4th round pick one a below below average D. put some talent around him and he can be a very good player. We need impact elite players on D. hopefully we get the 3rd pick and someone from the 8th range trades up to take an up and coming qb. we can get their 1st-8overall, a 2nd, and their next years first. draft our own demarcus ware with the top ten pick. in the 2nd take a true NT. 3rd take a CB, trade players like dmc, dhb, kelly, seymour for any picks we can get. if we can find pretty good players with our top picks and a couple guys like burris in the later rounds, have some money to bring in good vets the raiders can make some noise next year(not saying its going to be a division winner but **** 9 games for a wild card)


    Yall let me slip?!?!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    4,044
    vCash
    1500
    The defensive woes are mostly in pass coverage, which is a combination of not getting enough pressure from the D/L and not getting enough coverage from the DB's.
    You hit it right on the button. Blown coverages and poor pressure are the reason why our defense stinks. The run D only had two bad performances against the Florida teams. But they were both pretty devastating.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,918
    vCash
    1500
    Funny....


    We finally get two SMART football players on the field and they are our two best football players. You guys want to bash them. Fact is, they are smarter then anyone on the defensive side....and show it.


    These are not superstars or guys that are supposed to lead teams. These are guys who play smart football players and should be role players on a good team. We are not a good team.

    Finding more guys like this will make us a good team. Get off their backs and start blaming the players that really suck...Kelly, Shuagnessy, Seymour, Houston, McClain, Huff, Branch, and pretty much anyone else whom plays on defense not wearing 52/56.


    In the meantime, appreciate what you are seeing in Oakland with these two guys. Football players that hustle and give their all every down. Been a while...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,133
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    Funny....


    We finally get two SMART football players on the field and they are our two best football players. You guys want to bash them. Fact is, they are smarter then anyone on the defensive side....and show it.


    These are not superstars or guys that are supposed to lead teams. These are guys who play smart football players and should be role players on a good team. We are not a good team.

    Finding more guys like this will make us a good team. Get off their backs and start blaming the players that really suck...Kelly, Shuagnessy, Seymour, Houston, McClain, Huff, Branch, and pretty much anyone else whom plays on defense not wearing 52/56.


    In the meantime, appreciate what you are seeing in Oakland with these two guys. Football players that hustle and give their all every down. Been a while...
    you have it, thank you....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

    -John Madden

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Greater Western Bay EPA
    Posts
    6,460
    vCash
    1500
    Im more upset with kelly and seymour. Even though seymour didnt play, who noticed. What do you expect you need at least decent corners. I personally think huff playin cb, is cute but lol. But NO!!!






    Additional props to dodgersuck my Raider brethren!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,500
    vCash
    1500
    Miles is the only guy that deserves a pass ,from criticism on this defense.

    Coach Allen said, Wheeler is making a lot of mistaks also, its just more difficult to see,because of his motor,running non-stop. He was out of position a few times. That was after the victory over Jacksonville.

    The Raider defense against the run is not skewed.(because of the Buc-Dolphin games). Those running defensive numbers are very relevant ,just as relevant as any running plays from other games.

    There is no skewing that. You can't selectively pick the top 8 games out of 10 and say see, we are better against the run.

    There is definitely enough blame to go around.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15,443
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiconraider View Post
    The Raider defense against the run is not skewed.(because of the Buc-Dolphin games).
    Yes it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by rubiconraider View Post
    Those running defensive numbers are very relevant ,just as relevant as any running plays from other games.
    No, they're not.

    Quote Originally Posted by rubiconraider View Post
    There is no skewing that. You can't selectively pick the top 8 games out of 10 and say see, we are better against the run.
    Yes, you can.

    The Raiders are better though 9 games this year then they were last year.

    We'll have to see how it develops, but I fully expect the Raiders to be substantially better against the run this year then they were last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •