Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Ron Bartell activated; Pat Lee cut

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/2012/...r-ron-bartell/

In a surprising move, the Raiders are going to cut cornerback Pat Lee — who has started the last seven games — Saturday, a league source said. The move is likely being made to make room for Ron Bartell, who set to be activated today after being out (and on the Temporary Injured Reserve List) with a broken shoulder blade.

Lee had a missed tackle on Doug Martin’s 67-yard touchdown run last Sunday, but was otherwise thought to be improving after a rough start Week 2 in Miami. The former Packer had 27 solo tackles, an interception, a forced fumble and 8 passes defensed in eight games.

(The Raiders will announce their roster moves after today’s walk-through. I think they will let someone else go to make room for practice squad running back Jeremy Stewart, as with Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson out, they are going to need another running back behind Taiwan Jones and Marcel Reece. Stewart made the flight to Baltimore.)

As of right now, the Raiders kept backup cornerbacks Phillip Adams, Coye Francies and Brandian Ross over Lee. Adams is the punt returner and Francies and Ross play more special teams than Lee … but still it is surprising that Lee was let go over on of them. (Michael Huff will start again at the other cornerback spot as Shawntae Spencer (foot) has not been cleared for practice yet).

Lee, in his fifth year out of Auburn, was drafted by the Packers during Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie’s time there. He talked at training camp about how it was cool to have the GM in your corner, but he needed to win over the Oakland coaches. Just two weeks ago, coach Dennis Allen said Lee was getting better and this is defensive coordinator Jason Tarver just 9 days ago:

“Pat Lee has definitely improved the last three or four weeks and it’s in knowledge of the defense,” Tarver said. “He’s gotten calmer faster in games. He needs to continue to go one play at a time, keep his hips down and keep making plays. He made a great catch on that interception last week and that was by having his eyes alive. As long as he can continue to correct his mistakes…he’s one of the guys that when things happen to him, he goes, ‘I got that; I know, that’s enough.’ ”

Gotta wonder if there is not something more than meets the eye here. Lee did not play well against the Bucs, but no one on defense did.

Vic Tafur‏@VicTafur
    As of right now, Raiders kept backup cornerbacks Phillip Adams, Coye Francies and Brandian Ross over Lee. Adams is the punt returner.
    Last edited by NC_RaiderFan5; 11-10-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.
    Roush Fenway Racing #17 Ford Fusion

2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Rookie of the Year Winner

vCash
    Bartell is back!

Real CB's might help the Raider defense. God knows it's been a piece-meal roster so far in '12.

vCash
    If a mod could add "Ron Bartell activated from temporary I.R." to the title, I would appreciate it. Don't understand why this site doesn't let you change thread titles.

Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.

vCash
    Bartell on one side with Huff on the other. Hopefully that'll take a little of the pressure off our safeties
    Raiders Keith McGill

PSD Mock Draft Raiders GM
    1st Anothony Barr OLB UCLA
    2nd Dominique Easley DT University of Florida
    3rd Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    4th Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson
    4th Jordan Zumwalt ILB/OLB UCLA
    5th Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech
    5th Richard Rodgers, TE, California
    5th Vinnie Sunseri, S, Alabama
    6th Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska
    7th Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon
    7th Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    Bartell on one side with Huff on the other. Hopefully that'll take a little of the pressure off our safeties
    I don't get why Lee is cut. Dude was solid depth at the least.

He'll get signed elsewhere now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chucklemethis View Post
    I don't get why Lee is cut. Dude was solid depth at the least.

He'll get signed elsewhere now.
    Not sure either. I would of loved to keep him over Ross or Francies
    Raiders Keith McGill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    Not sure either. I would of loved to keep him over Ross or Francies
    I believe it's like this :

- Ross was signed as a 'prospect' that Reggie believed in. He's sticking because Reggie thinks he can be a player in the future.

- Adams is sticking around because he's the punt returner.

- Francies... yeah, I don't get why he's around and Lee is gone.

It is what it is. Reggie has made pretty good moves thus far, so perhaps we'll see the wisdom in this decision in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    I believe it's like this :

- Ross was signed as a 'prospect' that Reggie believed in. He's sticking because Reggie thinks he can be a player in the future.

- Adams is sticking around because he's the punt returner.

- Francies... yeah, I don't get why he's around and Lee is gone.

It is what it is. Reggie has made pretty good moves thus far, so perhaps we'll see the wisdom in this decision in the future.
    I knew Adams was sticking around for Punt returns.

I guess so on Ross. I believe in Reggie.

Yeah same here on Francies.

At least hope we sign Lee to Practice squad to force a team to sign Lee if
    they want him.
    Raiders Keith McGill

vCash
    gah, was it just me, or was bartell EXTREMELY weak in the preseason? the only game i watched was the detroit game and he did absolutely despicable. missed tackles, got beat like a legless zombie... i may be too harsh, but i don't recall a single decent game since he's been here. am i missing something?? lee is heads and shoulders better than bartell.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Stupid move. Coy Francies should've been cut instead of Lee. All Pat Lee needed was experience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    gah, was it just me, or was bartell EXTREMELY weak in the preseason? the only game i watched was the detroit game and he did absolutely despicable. missed tackles, got beat like a legless zombie... i may be too harsh, but i don't recall a single decent game since he's been here. am i missing something?? lee is heads and shoulders better than bartell.
    Bartell has played like one game as a Raider. Preseason don't tell the story if that's what you saw. This guy can still be good for us. I'm kinda hoping (assuming he plays decent) we can get him back on another 1 year deal because this guy can really cover.

Problem with the secondary though is not enough guys make plays on the ball. Lack of interceptions this year. Amazing how many the D had last year when they were way worse..

vCash
    S. Spencer was put on injured reserve so that the Raiders can promote Stewart from the practice squad. Maybe Pat Lee will be signed to the practice squad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    S. Spencer was put on injured reserve so that the Raiders can promote Stewart from the practice squad. Maybe Pat Lee will be signed to the practice squad.
    Can he be signed to the practice squad?

Hasn't he played too much football on the active roster to get a practice squad spot?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    Can he be signed to the practice squad?

Hasn't he played too much football on the active roster to get a practice squad spot?
    no.

yes.

Lee didnt play well in coverage or against the run.
    I actually like this cut.
    You better have your head in the game fellas...no more of "he had a bad game" crap.there are only 16 a year and you need to show up for everyone.

I doubt hell get picked up and Im thinking he winds back up on our extended roster next season.

Oh and Bartell had been expected back this week for a month and a half so hes right on time.

vCash
    Remembering practice squad eligibility rules has always been a monumental task for members of this forum.

Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast