Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The Stanley Cup And Where It Should Go

http://www.silversevensens.com/2012-...re-nhl-lockout

"When Lord Stanley gave hockey--and the sporting world--his remarkable gift, there were no owners, and no professionals. He wanted the trophy to go to the best team in the Canada, and it was a challenge cup, so winning it meant that you could be challenged for it. It was a fluid kind of trophy intended to keep competition keen, and teams sharp. It has evolved into a 'possession is 9/10ths of the law' reality with the NHL, whose trustees apparently honour the spirit of Stanley's gift by restricting competition for the trophy to the NHL, though he imposed no such restriction.

"So, by the letter of the gift, it should be open to the best team playing in the best league playing in Canada (and North America, to be realistic) and that would be the AHL. It would be poetic justice, as well, considering how many AHLers could be playing in the NHL but for falling through the cracks of salary caps or depth charts or personality conflicts with management.

"Would the trophy's luster be diminished by the Abbotsford Heat winning it, given that it has also been won by the Kenora Thistles and the Victoria Cougars, who were best of their times? The NHL has never been much interested in its own history, though, so the sun will continue to shine on the Stanley Cup's NHL storage closet for the 2012-13 season unless reason rapidly descends on the NHL."
    I believe there was a lawsuit during the last lockout to get the cup awarded that season but the decision didn't come until later. The trustees can award it to somebody else if there is no season. Should they? I'm personally on the side that it should be given out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    http://www.silversevensens.com/2012-...re-nhl-lockout

I believe there was a lawsuit during the last lockout to get the cup awarded that season but the decision didn't come until later. The trustees can award it to somebody else if there is no season. Should they? I'm personally on the side that it should be given out.
    How do you decide who gets it?

Non~Bruins Watch
    Filip Forsberg
    6GP / 1G / 4A / +5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneManIsNoMan View Post
    How do you decide who gets it?
    The winner in the AHL would be one option. As of right now that would be the highest level of hockey in NA. Another option would be if the players are really serious about just wanting to play hockey, they could organize teams and do some kind of a tournament for it. Could be awarded to a minor hockey team, or even university.

Point is, its not the NHL's trophy and maybe the custodians of it could make a point by awarding it to another league.

vCash
    I agree. Give it to someone who actually played, and don't leave another blank on the Cup.

vCash
    Not sure if there was a lawsuit involved, but during the last lockout, the Canadian Governor General, Adrian Clarkson, argued that the Stanley Cup should be awarded to the women's hockey champion. I don't think the idea would sit too well with hockey purists.

vCash
    I still think the players should organize a tournament for it...a little F U to the owners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I still think the players should organize a tournament for it...a little F U to the owners.
    This.

Or maybe have it awarded to the best team in the SEL or the KHL. lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    This.

Or maybe have it awarded to the best team in the SEL or the KHL. lol.
    The only reason I would like to see the players do a tournament for it is that it would show they are willing to just play.

I think I would prefer to see them maybe do a challenge between the NCAA and CIS champs. It would be a message to both sides in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    The only reason I would like to see the players do a tournament for it is that it would show they are willing to just play.

I think I would prefer to see them maybe do a challenge between the NCAA and CIS champs. It would be a message to both sides in my opinion.
    I totally agree.

In fact, I'd rather see something like that than see the NHL. I'm pretty fed up with the NHL at the moment, and I was pretty fed up with the ludicrous playoff results last year.

And before anyone says that's sour grapes, I'll point out that ALL of the contending teams were eliminated by dull, checking teams.

Maybe the point is that the regular season isn't even worth having anyway, especially given that the regular season results for at least half a dozen top teams were meaningless in the post season.

But not to go off topic, I like the idea of the players having the freedom to stage a Cup final, however they may want to do that. The NHL can shove it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I love this idea. Sponsorship would be easy to arrange and if all proceeds went to charity the custodians of the cup might just go for it.

vCash
    crazy talk, this would completely take away from the greatness of the trophy. This is a trophy earned at the highest level, not given out for the sake of being given out

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miller74 View Post
    crazy talk, this would completely take away from the greatness of the trophy. This is a trophy earned at the highest level, not given out for the sake of being given out
    this
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    even know your a niners fan... Some more of this please. I agree.
    \

vCash
    I agree with most, the cup is to be won on the highest level. That being said if it was awarded to the winner of the top league, it wouldn't be the ****ing AHL, it would be the CHL.

vCash
    It's never been awarded at the Olympics which is the best hockey competition in the world by a HUGE margin. So I don't think the "best level" argument works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast