Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    i'm writing a critical analysis on multiculturalism and ethnic pluralism in sociology for my degree and since there's a wide variety of opinion on this forum i was wondering what you guys think? whats wrong with it in your community/life/country? what could be done to make it better?
    Whats wrong with my community/life/country?

Lets see one obvious point that jumped into my mind was gentrification in every culture here in America. IF your an illegal immigrant in this country your heading to the neighborhoods that support that. IF your a rich white guy or girl your heading for the burbs with better school districts. Your rich neighborhood association will make sure that the lower class doesn't get in by demanding high payments.

Probably the only class that supports multiculturalism on a consistent basis is the middle class. The key there is that the middleclass has been shrinking since the 1960's.

Think about it. The middle class is more accepting of multicultralism simply because its forced to interact with other culture do a number of factors (schools, work, home).
    Last edited by Pacerlive; 11-13-2012 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Flip,

You completely miss the point about multiculturalism. I enjoy all that stuff too. Some more than others because some of the foods are a bit hard to take but give me a German, Greek or Italian food festival anytime.

The problem with multiculturalism is that it keeps huge numbers of people unemployable. And as soon as they have difficulties getting by they look to the state (read that me) for help.

The other problem is that all these people demanding cultural sensitivity come from places that do not grant any understanding of cultures other than their own.

Just fit in man, use chopsticks if you want but you still need to fit in.

Just a hunch here but is John Lennon's Imagine one of your favorite songs? Great song but you do know it is totally unrealistic. You know that don't you????
    I really don't buy this. While I love the varied cultures in each region in the US that bring their own flavor, I think it is hugely unfair to cast so many folks in one big net. People struggle as immigrants becasue assimilating is hard- finding economic opportunities in a new environment is hard. Do you remember that immigrants helped make this country what it is? How many of us didn't come from someone that came from somewhere else? Do you not see how much better our country, our economy would be? Folks need to figure this kind of **** out. Sometimes it take a little help. A little investment now should pay off huge dividends later.

Socially, I like the variety. It reminds me that America doesn't have one image. from Stripes:
    We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt.
    I say bring them on in! And no community ever went wrong by adding a Lebanese restaurant. That's the best ****ing food on the planet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    I really don't buy this. While I love the varied cultures in each region in the US that bring their own flavor, I think it is hugely unfair to cast so many folks in one big net. People struggle as immigrants becasue assimilating is hard- finding economic opportunities in a new environment is hard. Do you remember that immigrants helped make this country what it is? How many of us didn't come from someone that came from somewhere else? Do you not see how much better our country, our economy would be? Folks need to figure this kind of **** out. Sometimes it take a little help. A little investment now should pay off huge dividends later.

Socially, I like the variety. It reminds me that America doesn't have one image. from Stripes:

I say bring them on in! And no community ever went wrong by adding a Lebanese restaurant. That's the best ****ing food on the planet.
    Visit Miami.

vCash

ewing

Visit Miami.

Are you for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Visit Miami.
    I've seen places all over the US, and I fail to see how my missing the city of Miami precludes me from being included in this discussion.

My points remain. But okay, fine. I'll schedule a vacation to Miami. Twist my arm.

vCash
    I've seen places all over the US, and I fail to see how my missing the city of Miami precludes me from being included in this discussion.

My points remain. But okay, fine. I'll schedule a vacation to Miami. Twist my arm.
    Given your history, it is funny to question your view of different cultures. Honestly, the more you see and experience other cultures, other perspectives, the better off you are. You add what you like, and leave behind what you don't.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash

Kudos for the stripes reference.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Are you for real?
    Your point is…………?????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    Given your history, it is funny to question your view of different cultures. Honestly, the more you see and experience other cultures, other perspectives, the better off you are. You add what you like, and leave behind what you don't.
    I can only speak on my limited experience, but its even more eye opening when you go elsewhere (as in out of our culture entirely) and see how a different part of the world operates. Then I believe you can truly see how different cultures coming together but staying distinct as well is a benefit to everyone.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash

ewing

Your point is…………?????

Wasn't sure if you were being honest or trolling. If you're being honest, i guess you don't realize by framing your ridiculous believes under a political banner you ruin the credibility of anyone who can be lumped in with you.

look at all the more liberal posters slapping each other on the back repeating oblivious truths like "hey you can learn from people who do things you don't". If you represent the conservative voice that is really all they have to say present themselves as infinitely more credible.
    Last edited by ewing; 11-14-2012 at 10:17 AM.

vCash
    Wasn't sure if you were being honest or trolling. If you're being honest i guess don't realize by framing your ridiculous believes under a political banner you ruin the credibility of anyone who can be lumped in with you.

look at all the more liberal posters slapping each other on the back repeating oblivious truths like "hey you can learn from people who do things you don't". If you represent the conservative voice that is really all they have to say present themselves as an infinitely a more credible authority.
    If someone is going to present themselves based on ideas that are close-minded, then I'm absolutely going to consider myself to be infinitely more credible to use your words.

That user has demonstrated that he has no desire to broaden his horizons or consider anything outside his comfort zone and I'm not going to drag myself down to that level in order to "be nice" or treat that level of thinking as equal to others. Its not equal, its quite regressed and fading quickly in the populace as a whole.

vCash

ewing

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    If someone is going to present themselves based on ideas that are close-minded, then I'm absolutely going to consider myself to be infinitely more credible to use your words.

That user has demonstrated that he has no desire to broaden his horizons or consider anything outside his comfort zone and I'm not going to drag myself down to that level in order to "be nice" or treat that level of thinking as equal to others. Its not equal, its quite regressed and fading quickly in the populace as a whole.

You should. What i find unfortunately many don't listen to people ideas who don't vote their party line b/c of a couple nuts. I actually fine you to be open minded and liberal leaning and i give you kudos for that.

vCash
    Wasn't sure if you were being honest or trolling. If you're being honest i guess don't realize by framing your ridiculous believes under a political banner you ruin the credibility of anyone who can be lumped in with you.

look at all the more liberal posters slapping each other on the back repeating oblivious truths like "hey you can learn from people who do things you don't". If you represent the conservative voice that is really all they have to say present themselves as an infinitely a more credible authority.
    You're very hard to understand when you talk in Yoda-speak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post

Are you referring to me as close minded???

I think I'll go outside and hand out smiley face buttons. Maybe that will make a difference.

Wait, are smiley faces non-cultural or will I need some with a mustache on them. Maybe some in tan and not yellow.

Oh the problems.

vCash
    You should. What i find unfortunately many don't listen to people ideas who don't vote their party line b/c of a couple nuts. I actually fine you to be open minded and liberal leaning and i give you kudos for that.
    I appreciate that. I really have no problem listening to people who are conservative so long as they don't hold a couple of viewpoints that I find completely irreconcilable with basic humanity.

Some of which are that foreigners or people who are different are worse than they are. I don't project this to the entirety of the conservative movement, but the sliver that does hold this view disgusts me.

Others are that gay people are subhuman. If you don't support gay marriage, that does not equate to the subhuman view. But there are people who ostracize them and belittle them whenever they get a chance or attack them for being different.

This is a trend that fits into my disgust of some people. When you don't treat all people like they are people. I will say that almost everyone on this board who is a conservative holds the view that all people deserve to be treated like people, which is why I enjoy the dialogue. But there are some who do not hold this view, and everyone knows who they are, and I refuse to give people who hold that view the equality of viewpoint. People who are bigoted have every right to speak, I would never ban their speech, but on the other hand I'm not going to pretend it has equal weight and merit.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast